1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If kyler Murray was available at 20...

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelcityclash, Feb 10, 2019.

1. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Do you think it’s possible Colbert and co. Pulls the trigger?

I think Murray will be high on Tomlins draftboard. The knock on him is he’s short and maybe there are concerns about overall durability at the next level. However, I think Colbert and Tomlin recognize talent and imo, this kid has the the it factor. He’s similar to Lamar Jackson in that he is an elusive, true dual threat QB. Yet, Murray seems like he’s a more natural thrower, Similar to Russell Wilson. Being a baseball star has helped his game in the accuracy department. Also We’re talking elite level leadership potential.

On the other hand, we have Mason Rudolph in the wings. I have to say, I think he’s hungry and confident and I love how he kindly reminds everyone that he’s ready to play. I can’t wait to see his progress. However, I don’t think anyone can say with confidence that Rudolph is a franchise QB. He’s had a highly successful college career as well and shows qualities of a true leader in the locker room. Oh yeah, and it doesn’t hurt that he has chemistry with last years 2nd round WR, James Washington. Right?

Don’t quote me, but I think I remember an interview with Colbert where he states taking a QB with talent is always on the table, even if they are high draft picks. Finding a franchise QB is hard in the NFL and I dont think anyone can argue against having Murray and Rudolph waiting in the wings. For me, it certainly helps alleviate concerns regarding a post-Ben transition. If they both impress, we could end up trading one for another first sometime later on.

While I think it’s unlikely, I remember hearing that the Steelers were looking to move up to grab Beckham even though we had Antonio. It seems like that would have been a luxury pick, but it makes me believe that Tomlin is willing to make that move. Colbert has done a pretty good job keeping us competitive; First transitioning from Cowher era, through the Dick era, through the Young Money Crew and maybe now the post Killer Bs era. You could say Having a franchise QB in Ben was the common denominator, which is why you couldn’t fault Colbert for being tempted to invest in that position.

At what point would you feel comfortable if Tomlin and Colbert saw rare talent in Lock or Murray and wanted a QB. I think for me, if we received value for AB or Bell, I’d be open to it. I mean, If we are sitting on another 1st or high 2nd I think i could definitely get behind it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Not a chance. Kyle does not fit the Steelers mold of a Quarterback. For that matter, too many variables with Murray as it stands as he himself is undecided. There are three reasons as to why Murray is not getting picked by Pittsburgh.

For one, drafting Kyle Murray means that drafting Mason Rudolph was a mistake. Secondly, it directly and indirectly indicates that there is still not a succession plan for Ben. Most importantly though and, three, drafting Kyle Murray means that Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert are forgoing the remaining Super Bowl window of their corps to build up for the future.

All this being said though, you do bring up a good point regarding a surprise pick. If Terrell Edmunds was not controversial enough, I would imagine that someone like Devin Bush is in consideration. For better or worse, since 2010, Bud Dupree is the only Seinor selected in the first round by the Steelers. Unless Germaine Pratt blows it up at the combine and if Bush does, I expect him to be the pick.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think no. We don’t need a center fielder and leadoff hitter. I say that kind of tongue in cheek because he’s a guy with another option, and that other option may be enticing after sitting behind Ben for a year watching As The World Turns from behind the scenes, or after taking NFL hits for a season or two. He’s a dynamic QB, but his body type does not give me confidence that he can take hits at the NFL level. He doesn’t have that stocky football player build like Russell Wilson.

4. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    While I agree Murray doesn’t fit the typical steeler QB mold, I don’t think it means drafting Rudolph was a mistake. Vick and Dobbs aren’t prototypical steeler QBs either. I feel like Tomlin values versatility and athleticism and for right or wrong, he could see a shiny new toy.

They can drastically improve their chances of hitting on a future QB after Ben is gone. It also means there’s not extra pressure to extend Ben for longer than we want. While I agree it’s not my first choice and unlikely to happen, I don’t think it’s an indictment of foregoing the Super Bowl window. At some point in the future, Ben’s play is going to decline or his resilience to injury will catchup to him. It would be nice to be loaded and ready to take on that adversity.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Why do fans think the Steelers need to draft a QB :facepalm:? They just drafted 2 QBs in the last 2 years, and will give Ben a extension this offseason. The window is closing, they need help on defense in the worst way, not a midget QB from a conference where they play no defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    A 5'9 QB. No thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    If Kyler Murray is available at 20, you hope a team at 23 wants to jump the teams at 21 and 22 in order to grab him and you add some more assets.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Some team will draft this young man, and maybe like RG III will be done
    in 4 years after a NFL lb or safety ends his career.Stay with baseball young man,
    you don't have the body for the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    No.

There’s a picture of him holding a football, and it looks so big in his hands. I can’t imagine him having great accuracy/zip with “The Duke”, which is an even bigger ball than the NCAA ball. I think he struggles in the nfl.

Russ Wilson is a popular comparison due to stature, but Russ had the second largest hands in his draft class, very uncommon for a guy under 6’.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Stop Stop stop...........

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011