1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Greg Schiano for DC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelCity_NB, Jan 7, 2019.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What do they know?...........we good!;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Unfortunate. Time will tell but right now Schiano > Butler in my eyes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Perfect spot for him I dislike both!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Kevin Greene is available for the OLBs.....oh I almost forgot......we good!

• Like Like x 1
  5. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I'm an Ohio State fan. I'm not shedding any tears over Greg Schiano leaving.

Defense was a mess last year. Not all of it was Schiano's fault. Bosa getting hurt, turnover at LB and DB, etc.

However, he stubbornly stuck with a system that wasn't compatible with the players available. He played a lot of man/cover 1 with new guys at DB and LB and we gave up a ton of big plays. Almost team we played last year had someone who had a big game.

I think Belichick hired him because 1) he'll do whatever Belichick tells him to do and 2) he's still a decent football mind.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Schiano a failed NFL HC, and I don't think he was ever a NFL DC before. Big deal if New England got him :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    That is so short sighted, I don't even know where to begin. And I don't even want to keep this discussion going since Schiano is now a Patriot. No longer Steeler news.

Butler's resume compared to Schiano's resume is laughable.

Schiano was the DC for the University of Miami in 1999 and 2000. Check out those defensive rosters, a few names you may recognize.

Sure he flamed out in Tampa. It was a bad team when he got there and didn't have enough time to turn it around.

I'm sure there are valid criticisms of his defense at Ohio State but in the end his success there speaks volumes.

What is the most important factor, which some may not realize, is the pipeline of players from Rutgers to the New England Patriots. Players scouted, recruited and coached by Schiano which have helped the Patriots win another 3 super bowls. Ryan, Harmon, Devin and now Jason McCourty. All DBs. What's our biggest weakness again?

Belichick trusts Schiano. Tomlin's loyalty is to Butler. I just can't see how keeping Butler around helps us in 2019. Hope I'm wrong, but pretty sure I am not.

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Actually it was never Steelers news.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    We're talking about the NFL, I don't care what Schiano did in college :shrug:. Belichick hired him because they're friends, the Steelers were never interested in him, so it's a moot point.

10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I get the feeling that coordinators in New England don't do much anyway. Well maybe McDaniels but I get the impression Belicheck runs the defense.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep!!

Sure are! :facepalm:

12. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Schiano just announced that he was not taking the Pats DC job after all due to "family and faith".

FWIW-

regardless of his resume as DC/HC, I can tell you all one thing for certain from my experiences. He is/was a good friend, in fact around 1977 or so he was one of the best friends I had. I grew up with him in NJ. I can't imagine a 5th grader with more charisma. I don't remember him being very religious insomuch as we were both 11, but we attended the same church (ST E's in Wyckoff NJ) and had our first communion together. I really wonder what's going on, and on a personal level, hope he is ok.

Of less personal and of greater import- lots brewing with the Pats in this off season. I just read somewhere that they might have a whole new defensive coaching staff next season now. I live in Patriots country (for the most part) and people are in mourning over the Gronk retirement. There are even hopeful theories being promoted in the Boston media that he will change his mind and come back mid year.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Teryl Austin has been handed a lot of responsibility by MT. I believe he will be counted on to help more on this defense than just dbs. This move should help butler.:cool:

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m not going over to the dark side here, but:

1) Why do you think he has been handed “a lot of responsibility”?

2) Why are you so confident it was handed to him by MT?

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Because Tomlin said it. Nice article in Steelers depot about the interview with missi mathews. No dark side conspiracy theory jeh. :cool:

16. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Do you believe Tomlin wants a coach with a strong personality? See Todd Haley. Particularly one that could compete for the head coach position if the defense become dominant?

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Arians had a strong personality :shrug:, like some team would give Schiano another HC job :facepalm:.

18. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I don't think it did. Our defense has been underwhelming for years, yes even with Shazier playing. Tired of using that excuse. We'll be using that for how much longer?

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    In today's NFL the position is important for scheme. What the position is counted on to do makes a difference. The player in that position has to be multifaceted. Big difference between Vince playing it than shazier playing it. It doesn't stop there, we have never replaced timmons either. That duo was pretty good. If we had that duo in timmons prime and the d backfield we have now, this would be a quite good defense.:cool:

20. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    But what Bowl would you get them to?

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Well... that was rather abrupt. Greg just stepped down. States that it was mainly familial issues.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Dick LeBeau
    Mike Munchak
    Todd Haley
    all were here at the same time. I don't think he has a problem with that.:cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

My bigger question would be this:

"Isn't nabbing highly rated kids a College Coaches job?!"