1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How to win a SB in the todays NFL

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Jan 14, 2019.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    1. high powered offense
    kc= 1st in ppg, rams = 2nd in ppg, saints = 3rd in ppg, patriots = 4th in ppg
    Steelers ended up 6th but were 4th most of the season. All top defenses got eliminated

2. get a bye week
    Final four all had bye weeks, this is a given. May point to last season which brings the next point.

3. Have a good coach + QB tandem
    mahomes is so good Reid doesnt have to be, brady and bill, mckvay and goff, brees and payton.
    Ben turns the ball over too much and well you know about that other dude lol.

4. Defense just has to be decent
    7th, 14th, 20th, 24th. Those are the defenses left in ppg. Pats, Saints, Rams and chiefs.
    Steelers were 16th

5. Overall coaching and being prepared
    Chiefs stifled the colts yet have a bad D. Rams stifled the run yet have a bad run D. Saints adjusted halftime. Bill is Bill and exposed chargers.
    whole coaching staff is a joke maybe besides Randy

So yeah I can't see this team winning 3-4 playoff games in a row vs competent coaching while Ben not being bad and winning the SB lol. Can't even beat bad teams

Why did I make the post? Why not lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    BBH - did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? I think you're ready to conduct some brain surgery today. I have a few suggested candidates but it's not polite to point fingers. I would like to disagree at least in part with what you have posted, but I can't argue a single point. The only disclaimer is that your stats apply only to the 2018-19 season and may or may not reflect a trend. The key this coming weekend will be which coaching staff can figure out stout defensive strategy for more than 30 minutes which was the limitation generally on display this past weekend. I think these upcoming games will be awesome to watch, including the chess games played by the respective coaching staffs. Having no skin in the game will be painful, but less gut-wrenching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    you're right, it's not a trend yet but I see the NFL really wants this to happen, be a pass happy league. Just my opinion of course

4. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    I really don't like the rule changes. Defense plays were always as interesting to me as offense. You sack a QB today and it's a flag maybe ejection. You breathe on a receiver and it's PI 1st down and 100 yards. But you are right, if you want to win in this era you have to have a top 6 offense and mediocre defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I am very surprised we won 9 games with like a -11 turnover differential and the worst kicker % in the league.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Like it or not it's kinda stupid to hire a defensive coach as your HC in this day and age of the NFL. Steelers...hint hint.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    So J. Elway & the Donkeys do not have a clue. Should have learned with their W. Phillips experience.

8. TOMSTEEL88

TOMSTEEL88 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    CHEAT like New England and have your teams owner kiss goodells a$$

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. standupsteelerguy

standupsteelerguy Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2017
    Excellent post with objective analysis. Stand up Steeler guy approved.

10. TOMSTEEL88

TOMSTEEL88 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    only difference is bellicheck is a great coach with discipline and Tomlin is a good coach with NO discipline.

11. quark12000

quark12000 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2015
    It's worked 5 times so far.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yet old school defensive coaches as HC won a SB recently, Carroll and Belichick. If you hire a defensive HC, you just need a very good OC.

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    That's true for the older guys. But each year the NFL keeps making it harder and harder to play defense, there's definitely more of an emphasis on creative offensive talent. But you're right I guess that person doesn't need to be the HC necessarily.

14. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    Well I guess defense does win championships because two out of the top 4 offenses couldn’t do jack.

15. quark12000

quark12000 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2015
    It's hard to beat a cheater.