1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Jets Not Breaking the Bank for Le'Veon

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jan 31, 2019.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think some team will give Bell more guaranteed money than the Steelers offered him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I still think he gets the Transition Tag. Back in December, when Bell was in Pittsburgh, he was expected to report to the team, but if I remember correctly he wanted the Steelers to take the Transition Tag off the table. That of course was something the team wasn't willing to do. If I remember, he was also asking for a 2 week deferred designation. The Steelers would have none of that. Maybe someone with more insight can chime in.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Art said they made a mistake last year expecting Bell to play under the tag.

AB has made a huge mistake of giving up on the team and dissing everyone including his team mates.

Do we waste another season seeing if we can make nice with everyone, or tear the bandaid off quickly and let the healing begin. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't know if it is right or wrong but this is what was reported by CBS:

According to NFL.com, the Steelers made one final offer to Bell on Monday, just hours before the NFL's 4 p.m. ET deadline for teams to negotiate a new contract with their franchise player. The offer from the Steelers was worth a total of $70 million over five years (or $14 million per season). Although the offer would have given Bell the largest multi-year contract of any running back in the NFL, he turned it down, and one reason he likely did that, is because it was nowhere near his asking price, which was reportedly in the neighborhood of $17 million per season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Grab the 3rd round comp and don't look back. The culture of this team with these two still hanging around will still be the same. Cut bait and don't look back. But then we still have Tomlin but at least it's a start.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    My point was that if the Steelers were willing to pay 14.5 million guaranteed in the form of the franchise tag then it seems that 10 million guaranteed that’s been thrown out there might be wrong.

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's a tough call mac. Normally I would say tear it off but I'm not so sure we have the right pieces in place to start the healing. I'm of the belief that at this point you almost have to put the best talent you can out on the field and hope they win in spite of themselves. I would say you try to put enough band aids on things for the next year or two and if we don't at least make a SB ,you blow it up. I don't think you replace ABs production in a year. Losing him turns our whole draft upside down because I feel you need to draft a WR high to try and replace him. So not only are you hurting the teams chances directly between the lines. You are potentially hindering your chances of filling the other holes on the team ,especially defensively.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

I get the replacing the production thing. Sure it might readjust your draft too. It may also make you go get some good free agents.

who are we really going to replace? What position are we going to fill? Another corner is a possibility. A wr is a possibility. I think another te is a possibility.

do you think we draft a first if they keep dupree here at 9 mil.? A first rounder will get on the field.

do you think they will take Vince off the field? We just paid him.

Davis and Edmunds are set.

D line. Is set.

Do we draft a guy to put next to Vince at one of two? That is a possibility.

if we get a first for ab we would have plenty of picks to make this happen along with a good free agent or two. :cool:

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    We should be going after some good FAs regardless.
    I see CB,OLB,ILB,DL,FS and WR all on the table especially in the first four rounds

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    not with a 1 and 2 already on the d line and we will have to pay grave digger soon. No way we spend a one on the d line. Too much money already tied up there. You don't draft a one for depth.

safety we have a 1 and 2. See above.

outside linebacker we have two 1s. Again I don't see it happening there.

I see corner and inside backed as the only place for a one on the defense. This also depends on free agents being brought in.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    This Super Bowl ranks in my top 5 of least interesting. My hate for Patriots is a big reason. I remember many many moons ago I was pulling so hard for the Patriots to upset "Da Bears". Oh how times have changed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think we should break the bank for Bell and keep AB as well. Then trade for Ramsey, get Kapernick and we can be the NFL's version of the Pistons "Bad Boys" lol.

Think about it.

Trash talking, kneeling, rapping, glazed eyed yellow moostache and add in vince williams and our "elite" kicker and we have a party.

Dirty red can be the click leader. Sits on top a throne with one hand wearing a gauntlet, head tilted sideways with a bored look on his face. AB wearing nothing but his mink coat on one side, and Bell sitting on a jetski eating bbq wings on the other side...

not sure where im going with this but just had a random thought that played into words

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I copied the wrong part here is the rest....

According to a Monday video report by Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Steelers best offer to Bell totaled out at $70 million over five years. Rapport then goes on to say that the offer to Bell included $33 million in guarantees. However, what we still don’t know is how much of that $33 million was fully guaranteed. Until a different set of numbers surfaces, that’s really all we have to go on.

14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Funny thing is that Steelers "1's" are probably depth on other teams lol

15. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Not so funny, when you consider that top 10 draft picks are worth more (in draft value) than all seven rounds of Steeler's picks put together. A team that had multiple top-10 picks over the years, like the Rams, should be stacked.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying here but look at the FA list other than OLB and S there isn't anyone worth spending big(in Steeler terms) money one that would be an upgrade. You have to remember we are not first week shoppers when it comes to FA so you can cut all the top tier guys out. We have the money this year I feel we can grab a OLB and S and then work on depth at these other positions you mentioned no? Mac makes good points as to where are we gonna spend since we have so many guys set already.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

browns?:cool:

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not saying spending big. Like that is gonna happen anyway:smiley1:. I would like to see us fill OLB and FS in FA like you said. So that would give us more flexibility in the draft,like we usually do anyway but maybe with a bit higher pedigree from the talent pool. Sorry don't want Dupree back at 9 mil. and don't want him getting a starter type extension either. Dupree doesn't prohibit you from taking OLB in the first.

I wasn't trying to imply that those positions were all possible options in the first. I'm saying within the first 4 rounds those positions are in play. Depending on what we do in FA I could easily see a DL picked as high as the 3rd round. We have no depth at all there. A young guy could easily step in and get some plays here and there. CB,ILB,OLB and possibly FS (Adderly,Thompson) are all in play in the 1st and can also be adressed in FA as well. Of course JMO;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Correct he could have. He also could have had a career ending injury and that's all he would have made for the rest of his NFL life. He will get more than 14 million as well I said 10 million as that's what Pitt offered.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think we all think the 9 mil for bud shouldn't be paid and he should be replaced but I'm not sure the Steelers think that. Also I think they like Davis as do i. With a 1and 2 already at safety drafting a 1 as a backup won't happen. Just trying to look at it the way the Steelers are and not letting our emotions get involved. As we sit right now anyway.

Just trying to look at where we could really need and use a 1 or 2 and not as more of a luxury. Maybe luxury isn't the right word but I don't think those are our two weakest points. ola and Adams help strengthen that spot. Now trust me I would love to have Brian burns and those extremely long arms and that motor as a situational pass rusher added. I think that's the only way we see an outside lb added in the first, but doubtful.

If a b goes I could see wr, cb, ilb, te in the first 4 picks. Not necessarily in any order.:cool:

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok we are on the same page I was thinking you wanted a top dog, like you said will never happen. I think FS is a strong possibility for us in FA. Joyner, Thomas, Collins and maybe Mathieu and Amos are the big dogs but if a one of them were to slip down a few bucks I would love it. I am just not sure we could afford to pay a guy more than 5 mil with having Edmunds and Davis. If maybe a Boston, Ha ha, Graham or Iloka are sitting there that would IMO be some great depth for us and allow a draftee to learn as well.

As far as OLB goes if Barr don't get tagged he is my guy and maybe one we would throw some bigger cash at. I would not like to see Bud back and if that is the case we could throw bigger money at a guy like Barr or others like Barrett, Ford, Clowney and Bucannon. I also think we need to sign a lower level guy too since I would let Chick walk for an upgrade. Matthews, Lee, Hodges, Preston Smith, Wright, Harold and Anthony are guys I would look at and would cost us more than the 1.9 mil we paid Chick last year.

We have the money and I feel like you we could spent it to add more quality depth than we have had the last few years. :thumbs_up:

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    What do you see in Barr as an edge guy that you’d throw money at? Also, Preston Smith isn’t going to be available as a cheap backup. He’s probably going to get $40+ million this offseason.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I wouldn't want bucannon for the outside linebacker role. he would be for the inside spot. I would love to have him and draft pratt. Instant fix for the interior without breaking the bank. I don't think we are that far off if we get TEAM oriented and get rid of the distractions even though they were good individual players. We still have enough of them here, just add to that.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not sold on Davis as a FS he may have limited the big plays but he seems to be lacking true instincts and ball skills. They are trying to get 3 safeties on the field. That's why they signed Burnett and drafted multiple safeties last year. With Burnett probably on his way out the door it's a role that has to be filled. My feeling is that Edmunds can assume the dime backer role and Davis can go back to SS. They will have to adress the safety position ( especially FS) either in FA or the draft. If Burnett stays maybe not but if he goes they will add another safety one way or the other. There is no one behind Davis if he stays at FS. IMO a player like Adderly or Thompson offer FS ability and versatility. Not saying it's gonna happen but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. I believe CB and ILB are the main targets but depending on what they do in FA anything is possible. They may choose to go with a more proven CB in FA especially with their lack of success drafting them. If White and Wilson are gone do they go ILB in the first? All of course JMO.....

25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I like our options now that we have some money to spend. As far as Chickillo,he's not great but don't underestimate his value on STs. He lead the team in ST snaps. If by some miracle they let Dupree walk they may hang on to Chick for depth. I don't think he's gonna cost them much.