1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cowher/ Bettis / Clark / Hines

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    This is 3...That I know of now, that has said the same thing...AB needs to sit down in a closed room with Tomlin..Ben if need be...Whoever if need be AND TALK...

Really...It takes someone from the media to say that highly publicized Superstars, Coaches, and team leaders...need to sit down together and try to/ at least air your complaints...To hopefully recity/ at least come to a conclusion either way, if this is doable?...

Really? You have to be somebody "in the know"...That this might be a good idea...smfh

2. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Delete one please...Don't know why it was double posted

3. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This could’ve been added to the other threads, so delete both? lol

Maybe there’s value to the Steelers to not resolve this until the window opens to trade him. See what they can get. Maybe AB is thinking the same thing.

Should they not trade, meetings will happen.

4. soulkitchen

soulkitchen Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Sorry. Time for talk is over. You got to trade him. The "sit-down" should have happened years ago. They have a sit down now, and Brown comes back, what happens in week 3 when he decides to walk out on the team again? Or let's say he decides, screw it I'll just not play this week. What do the Steelers do then, trade him, cut him? Or even worse he waits until after the trade deadline then goes all loony tunes. Now what, cut him and get nothing. Sorry this guy can't be on this team. Trade him now and get the highest offer and move on.

That would be the first message sent to the team for next year. Next move is start cutting any scrub or marginal player that gets stupid on social media (hello Mr. Fort). Then sit-down the new young talent and make sure they all understand how it is going to work moving forward.

Now the big question, can Tomlin do it? Got to or he has to be next.

5. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    What makes you think this wasn't or wont be attempted? I highly doubt this hasn't already been thought of by those currently with the organization. This is something that has been done for ages at all levels of sports, but I'm sure it is a new concept to the Steelers.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I said this awhile back in a thread but said it needs to be a player only meeting. He quit on the whole team. It's not just about ben, Brown and tomlin. :cool:

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    But we know better. That’s why we are in a message board. We know everything that is going on behind closed doors. And everything we read on the internet is accurate. If people don’t say anything we want to believe, we just make it up and stick to our point. We ignore the facts and drink the speculation.

There, that was easy. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The brass needs to get into a room and decide what compensation and what teams would be interested in Brown. Who really thinks if he stays this situation will get better? Move him and move on. Get rid of the drama, the distractions. Make a statement. Tomlin needs to grow some stones, become a disciplinarian...:lolol: I just cracked myself up, a disciplinarian :roflmao:

• Like Like x 2
  9. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
  10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    https://triblive.com/sports/steeler...steelers-current-situation-it-is-embarrassing

So both Bettis and Ward now have spoken. Bettis put the onus on every person up to and including Rooney. Ward pointed more of a finger at Tomlin with specifically not dealing with Browns facebook live incident appropriately.

Ward also praised how the culture of the Patriots are to the current Steelers, pointing to how Butler was benched in the Superbowl. Hard to argue with that seeing they are once again in the superbowl.

So interesting both put the culture and team above any one player.

Many fans want the Steelers to get away from that. These two disagree.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Success in this league favors the disciplinarian. Guys like Lombardi, Landry, Noll, Knox, Shula, Parcells, Cowher, and Belichick.

Players coaches aren’t represented that well: Vermeil, Dungy, and Carroll.

I’m sure I’m forgetting a few, but if Tomlin wants to have a favorable legacy he needs to tighten the ship.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Good read @mcam! I wish we had 53 Hines Wards on this team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Hard to miss how Ward and Bettis contrast in class and character (intelligence?) to Brown and Bell. Interesting side note.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The problem with this point, for me, is that it’s not as simple as disciplinarian vs players coach. That’s a false binary.

Take Pederson’s use of a player committee to discuss the play calling strategy. It was key to their Super Bowl run, but it’s neither disciplinarian or players coach - it’s using strategies to get the best out of your players.

There’s multiple ways to approach coaching. If anything, I’d argue that the league favours innovators, and how they get the team on board. Landry, for example, was a great innovator, but his success actually came when he adjusted his ideas to the teams capabilities.

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Great point. Bellichick has both factors going for him and Tomlin has neither. The discipline that Bellichick mandates also is the basis to how they prepare for every game. Their ability to gameplan for each individual opponent is the backbone to their success. Innovation and discipline is where it starts.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If Tomlin doesn't change his ways, then trading AB is only a bandaid. I'm hoping that MT not getting an extension (as of yet) means he is on the hot seat.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hines is making the rounds... I heard a interview on NFL radio where he basically said the same thing. He said AB needs to grow up. He also took Ben to task for using his radio show to criticize teammates and " throwing them under the bus".
    He said Ben should know better as a captain and elder statesman. Said all the guys like Farrior,Big Snack,Porter and a couple others knew that you didn't put someone else's name in your mouth.
    https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/w...rger-criticizing-teammates-on-his-radio-show/

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1