1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Teams lose the best WR in the league all the time?

2. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Yep...He even works hard being a jackass!!...Loved the 6th round overachieving kid that said all the right things.. What he has become is an entitled punk. Great player buts that's all. Nobody is bigger than the team...NOBODY

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Pretty sure he is gone myself. Does seem like he doesn't want to come back. Cannot wrap my head around why though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    See T.O.

5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    And I don't deny that...His work ethic and productivity are undeniable...But, when the problems and toxic enviroment outweigh the production...You have to make that tough decision

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    That's what makes it so hard...I was a big AB fan, one of my all time favorite players...Man that dude was tough, made some incredible plays, and helped win a ton of games...

But man did it seem like he turned into a royal Dick overnight ( actually been trending downward ) for a couple of years now...

I'm not happen that he might be traded, sad actually...But it has to be done imo...I'm a Steeler fan 1st...Over any one player

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The 49ers were 2-14 the season after TO left, 4-12 the next.

8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    You have a point. How many games a year does AB produce a win for the Steelers that shouldn't be a win ? My guess is 2 to 4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Star. Players.

Funny thing, it was Ben and Holmes that hooked up during the game winning drive of the SB. No AB even on the other side drawing double coverages either. Amazing I tell ya, I thought there might not have been football before AB came around.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Thank God we are not losing Ben.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Now THAT would be a huge obstacle to overcome.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I agree.

13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    In this case that Star. Player. is a WR.
    That super bowl catch was a long time (and a world class defense) ago. More recently they couldn't get to the playoffs with AB, so they're going to get there without him. I don't think his 100+ catches and 15 TD's were that much of a distraction to anyone but the fans. And maybe Dupree. He seems needy.

14. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    I love playing GM...Lets play together ( It's the off-season ) wth else we got to do...

So, this is just one example...curious to see everyone elses...

We trade AB to the Jets for Jamal Adams, now we go into the draft looking at ILB, CB, WR at no.20...

Say we go WR, he will be young * obviously, and no AB off the bat, but a damn good one...

Now we add 2 of the following... a Mosely, Barr, K.J.Wright, Darby, Preston Smith etc. in FA...

If we go ILB or CB at 20...We take one of the aforementioned FA's...ex: we take ILB in draft, add CB in FA...We go CB at 20, we add ILB in FA...Also, if we go this route...We add a Golden Tate, Tyrell Williams, John Brown type FA ( I know, no AB's here ) but good players...

So no matter what route we go at 20...We are adding 2 " good " FA's for the other 2 positions...

So this one trade changes the whole overall makeup of the team...Lil stronger in some areas, lil weaker in others...But staying a good, strong team...Just different...

This is just one guy playing GM...I would like to see what everyone else would do ( realistically of course ) if you were GM

15. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Needs a thread, lil off topic

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So what if the star player is a WR. The point is teams loose great players all the time to FA. They don't go into a rebuild every time they do.

The defense didn't have anything to do with Ben and Holmes going down the field, defense was on the sidelines. Holmes isn't half the player AB is. Somehow before AB showed up, Ben managed to throw for a lot of yards and TD's.

Yeah, AB wasn't a distraction at all when he walked out on them and skipped practice all week. One player even said it effected his desire to even play that game.

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't understand what a completed pass from 10 years ago or how other teams have fared after losing a star player has to do with the Steelers current situation. AB wouldn't be lost to free agency anyway, so the comparison is flawed from the start.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s not flawed, it’s a simple way to explain that the team was successful with less talent at WR and that teams lose star players on a regular basis.

What’s flawed is the idea that they are in a rebuild if they lose AB. He’s one player and a WR, not a QB. Get a grip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Chew on this. AB doesn't want to be here. He's a guy that worked his tail off to get where he is. I'll give him that credit. Again, he worked his tail off to get where He is.

We have also had two very good wide receiver coaches here that have made many players reach heights at that position.

Dupree is slated to make 3 million less than ab this year and we fired his coach. Where is the equality in performance coming from? The player? Or is it the guys coaching the players? Will it be easier to replace Antonio's numbers with good coaching or rebuild a defense with no coaching? Where do the priorities lie and what will make this team better? Thanks Antonio and thanks bud, but it's time to go. Bring in a good defensive coach and use the money and draft picks wisely to build a good team.

let's face it we have lost two good coaches on the offensive side now. We may lose a cancer to the locker room, but in the wings are good players with good coaches. We are spending too much time worrying about losing production of a player while we have a good coach that can make a difference. Do the same on defense by dropping had players like dupree and Vince and bring in a coach that can make a couple of new players succeed. We don't need a total rebuild on either side of the ball, just quit living in our fears of never being able to replace what isn't working. Rant over. :smiley1::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It depends on the definition of rebuild. 36 yo QB, 1 legit WR (w/o AB), unproven RB, aging oline, aging dline, 1 legit LB, only legit db is 30 yo, playoff miss...I guess you're right. This team is already in rebuild whether they know it or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Antonio is not in a position to negotiate anything as he's under contract. So they can fish for a 1st round for him. If they don't get it keep him.

And then fine him for every practice late, missed, etc.

If you don't play by the rules, you don't play and don't get paid. They don't have to trade Brown to get the locker room in order. They just have to stop pandering to his BS. Make him sit in time out until he behaves better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  22. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Your best ability is your availability. Idk how they replaced the production of a guy who played all 16 games with a guy who didnt.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Even know you're still wrong, that would have made for a better argument than saying we are in a rebuild if they lose AB.

Bell has missed 20 games in 5 years.

24. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Thank you for opening up that trap... I was waiting for that. Exactly he has missed games thought his career but yet when most of you all want to COMPARE BELL'S stats to conner it's only about what bell did in his last season. Not about what bell did throught his entire career. BUT NOW when it fits your narrative you want to bring up his history :shrug:.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It was no trap, you just made a foolish post and trying to cover it up now. Poorly I might add.

People were simply comparing his most recent season. Go ahead and pick anyone you like, Conner still was putting up Bell like numbers.

Better to own up to mistakes and being wrong than to look even worse by covering it up. No one is right all the time. Free advice for someone just starting out in life.

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.