1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dan Rooney had a great idea for better officiating

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Why wouldn't you do this? This is a great idea.

• Like Like x 1
  2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Dan Rooney should have taken his own suggestion and put a replay 'official' in the coaches booth to tell Tomlin when to challenge, and more importantly, when not to challenge.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The article is about Dan Rooney. He is dead. He can’t fix the team.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That would be a neat trick, the mans dead.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Typing at the same time! You were a quicker draw :lolol:

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This is something Dan Rooney said years ago. Dan has since passed away. I doubt he’s fixing anything.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They should really implement this, would eliminate a lot of bad or missed calls. We’d likely have made the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    What’s the idea?

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Add a member to the officiating crew and put him in the booth. Theres a link to the article in the tweet.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    There would have been the issue for Roger Goodell. To add another official during the final days of Dan's life would have meant to indirectly admit defeat. Rodger wants to do what is in the best interest of the NFL. However, only on the terms he deems better for the league; the ones that make sense be forgotten.

In short? Roger wants to make the league better but only if he deems it necessary. That in it of itself is the issue. He exonerates the officials and exoriates the players who are bringing him the revenue. Too much pride and not enough intuition.

11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Dead or not dead this is a great idea and really needs to be looked at. The whole idea is to get the call right, plays like what we saw in the Saints/Rams game is obvious. I am not for replaying bang bang plays I feel that opens up the door for to much. Doesn't college do something like this now?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    They've implemented something similar in soccer with VAR. If the officials in the box see something the ref missed, they communicate to him and the game stops while they look at it. While its a very different sport, it's interesting because soccer has traditionally been utterly opposed to any kind of replay format, but even FIFA acknowledged that the speed of the increase in television angles and increased scrutiny means they had to take a different approach to refereeing.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Seem his son isn't either...

Funny how we haven't heard a peep out of the NFL offices about the botched calls in both championship games. So funny...all quiet on the Goodell front.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Nah, he just isn’t doing some of the unreasonable stuff that Vance want. They know what they’re doing. Will be in contention again next year as usual.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Now MacDonald is making demands? WILL THE DRAMA NEVER END

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hah, and I even had time to go back after my first post and delete the last sentence before TTF spanked me. ;)

17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    More piss poor officals isn't the answer. Even with replay as it is now they still can't get it right a lot of times. Get better officials, not more of the same, would be my preference ( along with better HC's who know what to challenge). How many times have to come to the right conclusion on a replay 5 minutes before they come back and say the same thing? Another excuse for commercials I suspect.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    The ones that each networks have hired look to be doing a pretty good job. I feel like every time there is a question they are getting it right. I get we don't need more stoppages but when the guy in the booth has many angles and a second look which is many cases is all they need. I disagree with more people being more of the same especially when the person we are talking about has so much more than the guy of the field. I agree more on field is bad but a guy in the booth is a win win imo.

19. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Huh?

20. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I just wish they would get rid of replay, challenges, etc. all together and go back to just playing football. They miss calls with this system and humans still make bad calls. The TIME it takes from the game is frustrating. If they keep adding to this system, it won't be long before you won't be able to watch.

21. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    You opinion is a good one but I just look at where this is heading to. Are we trying to get to 100% accuracy in every facet of the game? Are we looking to review each play to see a holding that wasn't called or a face mask pulled and not called or a roughing the qb that really wasn't? This could never happen and the game still be watchable. So, if we are currently accepting penalties that are called wrong or not called at all, what are we trying to get too? I am somewhat in the mindset of Steellamb's post right above.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Rooneys suggestion isn't to stop the game and replay all potential penalties. It would be realtime called penalties. Watching on a screen its much easier to spot penalties or missed calls like the PI non call against the Saints, a huge missed call that changed the landscape of the SB. Holding calls and penalties of that kind would still be called on the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Thanks man, I am not saying we need to be 100% accurate but what I am saying is we have so much technology out there why not use it? You can have a guy sit in the booth and see right off the bat how bad a call was like in the Saints/Rams game. I am not trying to take the game out of the human hand but just trying to help the human hand.

It wasn't that long ago we played with leather helmets and no face masks, look where technology has gotten us. The same can be said with video and let's face it after this season the officiating needs major help. This call that has everyone up in arms is just the tip, how about a easy off sides that don't get caught? I mean one could say that may have cost a team a playoff spot and that was an easy call, or should we say non call?

Adding a guy in the booth can only help but I agree not every play should be looked at or every penalty either. Just looking at the missed call after missed call every week should be enough to want to make a change and this is a great idea. imo

24. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Never going to get 100%, but the egregious calls should be able to verify with technology to get right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok...(places tinfoil hat on head)
    I don't think they are honestly concerned about the horrendous officiating that seems to,get worse each year. They don't "miss" calls as obvious as some of the ones we've seen recently. They just don't "make" the calls that everyone with a functional pair of eyes can see. They only try to address the problem if there is public outcry and scrutiny. Look at the JJ catch. Public outcry =change the rule. It's all part of their plan to
    " steer" games in a certain direction. Screw us last year with JJ . Try to appease Steeler Nation by calling a season high in penalties against NE in our game against them. Don't worry we'll make up for it in NO next week. There are just too many calls that aren't made that are so obvious,it's hard not to question their intent. The non PI call against NO the ref is standing right there. You don't just miss that.
    We all recognize that a flag can be called on almost every play. So is it that hard to imagine them picking and choosing which ones to call and when? NEs OL never holds? The 5 PI penalties all season? They were holding KC WRs all over the field last week. The list goes on...

Ok rant over( removes tinfoil hat.......for now) Probably put it back on Sunday.....

• Agree Agree x 1