1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason: I was brought here to be QB of the Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Curious take considering you are the one adding drama where none was present :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Me thinks...jmo...Is that Rudolph will easily bypass Dobbs next year...As somebody alluded to Mahommes, the 10th overall pick, sat behind Alex Smith and didn't play a down...

Some on here were surprised with Landry Jones being cut...But I think that is exactly why Rudolph was no.3...Basically just because he had more familiarity and experience, in case of an emergency ( which we seen )

Again...I see him leapfrogging Dobbs next year, no problem...And, not that they would want it...But they would be much happier losing Dobbs than Rudolph

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That one day for Mason won't be for awhile, Ben is about to sign a contract extension, so Mason will be sitting on the bench for the next 3 years or so.

4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    All this is meaningless as the heir to Ben is still not on this team. Mason is a young buck who is supposed to sound like he does. What is he supposed to say? It's not like this is the first time I've heard this "confidence" from a young player before. If Ben goes down with an early season ending injury we end up last in the division.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Mean while, the rest of us who have never played a down for the Steelers can b*$#@ all we want?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like this attitude. I am not so sure if Steelers management (HC) can mange it though.

7. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    You never know. Injuries happen. That’s how Ben got the job so quickly.

8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It looks like Ramon goes to both........one right after the other.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Now you are complaining about soap operas? I was with you on the donuts, but....

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I can predict the future so no need to be anxious.

Mason shows great improvement year 2, then even more so year 3.

Ben extends his contract 20 more years. lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm hoping the best for Rudolph. For now, Mason Rudolph is our best hope. IMHO, I don't think we win another Super Bowl with Roethlisberger... because I think Ben will either retire or go to another team (Tampa Bay) if Tomlin is fired. I don't see Ben tolerating a new HC... unless it's Bruce Arians.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I wasn't too impressed with his preseason. Maybe my expectations were too high but thought he should have locked down backing up & pushing big Ben. Hope he can do that this year.

14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    This post just gave me a Bubby Brister flashback. lol

15. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Well.. there in lies the issue. Expectations vs reality. They are different for a reason. Just because a Quarterback played even in an NFL based offensive system does not mean they should have an easy go in the league.

There are simply way too many variables for that to happen. For that matter, too many scenarios that can go wrong. Patrick was an anomaly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yep now everyone is going to expect mahomes or bust, it’s unrealistic

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  19. SteelAU

SteelAU Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2016
    If he had been a 1st round pick or even an early 2nd round pick, I would have expected him to earn the backup QB role.

But being picked in the 3rd round and the 76th pick, tells me he is a work in progress, with the HOPES that he turns into a quality NFL QB for us.

He does need to earn that backup QB spot this summer, and if he doesn't then I will worry he won't be the heir apparent to Ben.

He has the size, but not the arm velocity of Ben, which bothers me the most.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    First of all it shouldnt be about a big money contract, BR shouldnt be looking for big money now this late in his career and the front office is looking for a cap friendly deal up front for the 2 years your talking about, ben should be happy with a 2 year 34 mill deal, he certainly wont be here to get any big money on a back loaded 5 year deal....

Big Ben has one year left on his contract that calls for a salary cap hit of $23.2 million, with a base salary of $12 million and a $5 million roster bonus due in March. The Steelers would likely look for an extension that lowers Roethlisberger's cap figure in the immediate years, pushing off the larger numbers down the road.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The issue with doing a short extension with Ben is that it limits our financial ability to go all-in for the next couple of years. If we do a 4 or 5 year extension, we spread the cap impact of his up front money over several years, understanding that the piper will need to be paid down the road when he doesn’t finish out his extension. A short term extension results in a higher cap hit for Ben, and less money for other pieces to the puzzle. Now, the fact that we generally don’t pick up higher cost free agents makes it less pressing to find dollars under the cap, but resigning our own and the higher cap impact of guys who have had the contracts restructured eat into those cap $$ pretty quickly. We need to add some free agents, even if they’re mid tier and not high end. Just food for thought.

23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    You think Ben would go to another team at this stage of his career? He was talking about retiring if Pouncey didn't get an extension also.

Of course he says a lot of things.

24. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Agree here.

I love Ben and hope he continues his high standard of play.

But at 36, he needs to start taking some team friendly deal like Brady. We've paid Ben well over his career. Yes I know how many schlub QBs make as much or more than Ben currently.

Ben needs to decide what's more important to him, another 20M or another SB.

• Agree Agree x 4
  25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Short answer to your question. Yes.