1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Going All in or Not to win the SB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jan 23, 2019.

1. All in

2. Not all in

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    This reminds me of the joke about the young bull and the old bull. With the salary cap, how can you afford to build a team with longevity if you go all in? It's working for the Rams...…..this year. I don't know how the Pats manage to do it year after year. Are their first team guys making THAT much less than other teams pay?

2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Brady is playing on the cheap, 2 years 30 mill, edleman 2 years 11 mill, chung 2 years 7,8 mill, their best ILB vannoy, 2 years 11.7 mill only 2 players are over 50 mill, so yeah they dont over pay prima donnas just to keep them around.......

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/contracts/

3. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    They won't. And Art and Kevin would foul it up anyway.

4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    .....and they say team loyalty is dead. As much as most people hate them, the Pats are doing something right.

5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I really didn't know about the guy until now but sure is cool to watch. I've got visions of him bulling over Patriots defenders. I hope it's a vision that comes true.

6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    You can insert the Pittsburgh Pirates in there. Bob Nutting makes money, it's a business first. He could give a **** about winning a World Series.

7. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Yeah. That’s not a hometown discount, it’s a “get a ring” discount.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Teams were doing the same thing 11 years ago.

Redskins anyone? A prime example of attempting to simply buy players in free agency. They're a good example of how it didn't work out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Oh man, now I'm more disillusioned than when I awoke today. I was hoping the Steeler's brass, at least in part, made their decisions based on the mood on this MB. Reality is such a bitter pill to swallow. I think there's more truth to what you say RD than many of us would care to admit, especially me. This concept obviously doesn't translate to MLB (because no salary cap?) as I doubt seriously that the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox or Cubs are hurting financially and still continue to pull down blockbuster deals left and right.

10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    As a lifelong Pirate fan I hate to say it, but as long as there is no salary cap in MLB, the Pirates will never sniff another World Series let alone make a deep run in the playoffs. The ownership compounds this reality further.

11. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Who did they buy in free agency? Haynesworth and norman? Both who had just one good season coincidentally in the last yr of their contracts and were just looking to cash in. Not guys with a resume. And it's a combination of both. You dont solely build a team through free agency. You also dont solely build a team through the draft. Even NE recognizes this. They tried to get big name talents. Can you name any big name talent we have gotten in free agency or trade in the last decade? Joe haden?

12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Eric Green was suppose to be the shizzle. Not allpro but thought of decently. Steelers laid out some cash to sign him.

13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    pretty funny just did a quick google search https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/who-is-bill-belichicks-girlfriend-linda-holliday.html/ < Bill Bilichick's girlfriend LMAO . Hope I'm scoring hot chicks at that age. side note..

Out of the 15 "worst" free agent signings EVER according to at least one source, the skins have 4 on their list.

Albert Haynesworth, Washington Redskins
    Adam Archuleta, Washington Redskins
    Dana Stubblefield, Washington Redskins
    Deion Sanders, Washington Redskins

There are a lot more. Deion made the list because he signed a 7 year 56 mil contract at the age of 33.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...y-busts-in-washington-redskins-history#slide5

Another list.

Buying the team hasn't worked out for owner Snyder.

The skins have been pretty poor the past two decades now http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/teams.nsf/histories/redskins

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Deion did steal. He was over the hill at that point. The only one I will say was a head scratcher was Dana stubbifield. The only rest were never good or over the hill when they signed them. The ra.
    Ms didnt just do that. And like I said it's a combination of draft and free agency.

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Basically their consistently sub par record is at least one example of how throwing money at free agents is not always the answer. Teams like the Saints trading for Eli Apple and the Rams doing what they've been doing are examples of how it's worked the other way.

16. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Difference being NE has an all pro corner. They have an elite head coach. They also have better a better safety than the Steelers. Those are some reasons why they are in this spot, and the Steelers aren't.

17. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    The Rams can do it because they have an adequate quarterback playing on a rookie contract, and the most catastrophic pass rusher in the league. Those two things allow for quite a bit of deviation from the standard while remaining successful. Good luck to them when it comes time to pay Goff.

As for free agency, the smart bet is on displaced veterans or those seeking a fresh start; not the bank breakers. Sometimes separating the two is obvious, while other times you don’t really know what you get until it’s too late.

Stick with drafting and then snipe in free agency as needed. That’s my vote.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    But you're still missing my point. I said you do a combination of BOTH. The rams drafted Donald, Gurley, Goff, cooper kupp, Joyner, johnson, etc.. the saints drafted kamara, mike thomas, marshon lattimore, cam jordan, Davenport, etc... I'm saying you have to be successful at both. Only team in recent memory I remember that struck gold strictly in the draft was Seattle in 2013. And they literally were drafting all the guys within the same draft. Unheard of.

19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe it's just me but it does seem like we're going all in to not win a SB:shrug: