1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

EAST WEST SHRINE GAME

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Jan 6, 2019.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I put a lot of stock in players that perform well in these games and I know this game isn't as big as the senior bowl but still there have been some nice players. As a matter of fact when have drafted some including Chick and Digger. With that said here is some info on this game by position:

First the rosters:

EAST ROSTER
    https://www.shrinegame.com/east-roster

WEST ROSTER
    https://www.shrinegame.com/west-roster

Now for previews on a few positions:

LB'S
    https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/04/2019-east-west-shrine-game-preview-linebackers/

CB'S
    https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/05/2019-east-west-shrine-game-preview-cornerbacks/

DLINE
    https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01...rine-game-preview-interior-defensive-linemen/

EDGE

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/02/2019-east-west-shrine-game-preview-edge-defenders/

From what I am reading this is the deepest best defensive group in a very long time, from what I am reading don't hold me to it. Hope you all enjoy.......

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Some interesting facts about this game and it's players:

• More than 100 players from last year's game signed with professional teams this spring, and more than 70 made final NFL rosters last season.
    • On average, more than 300 East-West Shrine Game alumni are on NFL rosters each year.
    • Since the game's inception, 77 former players have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
    • More than 200 former players have been named to the College Football Hall of Fame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Thanks for posting this, @NY STEELERFAN

For those that think the Shrine Game is a waste of time, Javon Hargrave would say otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    You are welcome bud, I will also add Chick was there as well and maybe Davis can't remember. Brady and Elway are some big names too......imo this is where you go to find them 3rd round and later gems.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    For better or worse, Ross Cockrell was a Shrine game stud too. Jimmy G too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Last year's game had a running back by the name of Phillip Lindsay, with that said we will need another running back and shouldn't waste a top 3 pick on one. Some may say we should pick a RB before round 5 and I somewhat agree and this game is a very good game to watch if we are looking for a late round gem. Some guys to watch:

Ty Johnson Maryland
    Jordan Ellis Virginia
    Nick Brossette LSU
    Devine Ozigbo Nebraska
    Quadree Ollison & Darrin Hall Pitt

• Like Like x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Good stuff thanks NY.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Mac I looked into Hollins and was happy to read this:

Oregon redshirt senior LB Justin Hollins accepted an invitation to the East-West Shrine Game.
    Hollins has quietly been one of -- if not the -- most productive players on the Oregon defense, and finished his senior year with 14.5 tackles for loss with 6.5 sacks. He also showed some ability in coverage, as the 6-foot-5, 238-pound linebacker broke up six passes and picked a pass off. Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline believes he's a potential steal in the "middle of Day 3," so he'll definitely be a linebacker to keep an eye on during the Shrine Game practices and game. Jan 2 - 6:30 PM

Hollins, an AP first-team All-Pac-12 linebacker honoree, has 57 tackles with 12 for loss including five sacks, and an interception this season.

Hollins wins with his burst off the ball and constant upfield pressure. He’s a natural athlete that can move laterally or counter inside. Hollins flashes a power punch to the chest, various counters, including a two-hand swipe, club or, arm over, and shows speed to power potential.

He will offer a team edge versatility to play on his feet, with his hand in the dirt, or the ability to drop back in coverage. Above all else, he plays with great effort and a constant motor. He pursues the ball all over the field and has speed to close.

He is now on my "watch" list this Saturday

• Like Like x 2
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well today is the day and here are some guys I was just reading about and worth a look at:

WR KeeSean Johnson, Fresno State: Johnson performed above expectations for scouts and displayed why he’s a legitimate receiver for the next level. He ran quick, crisp routes which opponents struggled to defend. He regularly pulled in the routine pass while also making some spectacular one-handed grabs in both scrimmage and one-on-one drills. Concerns remain about Johnson’s real speed, but his route-running skills and dependable hands assured him a spot in the middle rounds of April’s draft.

RB Ty Johnson, Maryland: Johnson made amends for his disappointing senior season and looked every bit the next-level running back prospect scouts believe he can be. He displayed great quickness, vision, and speed carrying the ball. Johnson routinely beat defenders into the open field with a tremendous burst through the running lanes. He also displayed exceptional route-running ability and pass-catching hands throughout the three days of practice -- a skill he was rarely asked to use in college. It’s safe to say Johnson moved from the late rounds of the draft into the early part of Day 3.

DL Chris Slayton, Syracuse: Slayton was a force from the first day of practice and never let up. He comes with a next-level build, played with great quickness, and was always beating up on opponents. He set up camp behind the line of scrimmage on a daily basis and continuously penetrated up the field. Initially graded as a late-round prospect, Slayton was labeled by some scouts as the best player in attendance at the Shrine Game.

DT Daniel Wise, Kansas: Wise was a prospect who many felt was deserving of a Senior Bowl invite and he played with a chip on his shoulder to prove as much all week. He beat opponents off the snap with a great first step, showed a variety of moves to defeat blocks, and even bull-rushed blockers off the line with power. Wise secured himself as a middle-round choice for a team needing a tough, explosive 3-technique tackle.

Edge Mathieu Betts, Laval: Canada’s finest was on display at the Shrine practices as Betts, who played college ball for Laval University in Quebec City, turned heads every day. He displayed unbelievable quickness with an incredible first step off the snap. Offensive tackles who had a significant size advantage over the Canadian found him difficult to block. Though he needs to round out his game, Betts went from a curious invitation to late-round draft pick after three days of practice.

I will say this Wise, Slayton and Johnson are 3 names I keep seeing when looking up the practice notes. These 3 guys should shine today according to all that I have been reading.

Edit: forgot this kid there is a lot of buzz around him.

2. Michael Jackson, Miami (FL) CB
    Jackson is one of the more surprising players at the Shrine Game, not because he shouldn’t have gotten an invite, but because he probably should’ve been invited to the Senior Bowl. Jackson was one of the more hyped cornerbacks in the country going into 2018. While he didn’t take the necessary steps forward to live up to the hype, he was still a solid player who could end up being a better pro than college player. Depending on how free agency unfolds, the Bengals may need depth at cornerback with starter potential and that player very well could be Jackson.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I like jackson. I also like his team mate johnson as a safety. I'm still though on the blace Brown train. I wish we would look at gilbert as well at lb.:cool:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Coming into this game I didn't know much about a lot of these guys and my early list was East heavy: Ellis, Conrad, Randall, Hodge and Dogbe while the only guy early on on the west was QB Stick. So much has changed and the list of players is long. Not sure if I will watch or record for later, guess it will depend on the snowfall...lol.

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    good stuff @NY STEELERFAN I won't be able to see the game and haven't scouted it much either so thanks for the tips.

Being a Huskers guy, I like Devine Ozigbo (RB Nebraska) he's a pretty solid runner but that would be another guy in that power back mold. I hope they look at some runners with speed.

Hopefully I can catch the game later on youtube or something...I definitely want to see some of these defensive players

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m watching the game now. Jordan Brailford from OSU has been nearly unblockable. Mac’s guy, Ulysees Gilbert, has been mixed, but shows some instincts and burst to the ball. Hollins has flashed some edge rushing ability.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    The better watch for Gilbert is his play at akron. Think Vince covering receivers but a guy that actually can cover receivers and does it a lot and well. :cool:

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I dvr'd it and hope to watch in the morning I am not sure id they will replay it on the NFL channel so keep an eye out

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Oh, and Gilbert was an academic all American. We sure could use smarter players.:cool:

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    So I only watched the first 3 quarters and here is what I noticed:

East Team

DL Jordan Brailford was a monster, he was in the a ton of plays
    DL Michael Dogbe also was very good and was in a ton of plays.
    WR Jesper Horsted very good hands IMO this guy is a late round steal or a FA signing with big upside. Remember this name I will be watching the combine numbers for him if he gets an invite
    WR Terry Godwin a good game 2td's but showed he has skills

West Team

RB Nick Brossette nice over the shoulder catch for a td, awesome back story on this kid
    SAF Andrew Wingard loved this kid was all over the field something that caught my eye and something we need out of the safety position
    CB Montre Hartage Got beat but didn't give up and stripped the ball
    LB Markus Jones this kid was all over yeah sometimes he wasn't blocked but he still showed up when he was. Worth a look mmore into on him
    LB Justin Hollins He was on the Steelers meet list so I kept my eyes on him and he didn't disappoint. He showed good "stack and shed" and was in on a ton of plays. He is high on my list now
    CB Ka'dar Hollman had a dropped int after good coverage then had a no PI call in the end zone.
    LB BJ Blunt had a nice diving INT while dropping into coverage, got burnt on TD by Godwin. mixed showing
    CB Blace Brown Nice ST play, had a big hit and no tackle also got burnt and he reached out and grabbed the jersey and didn't get a hold call.

Well there you go Brailford and Hollins were my top guys and there were some others who really opened my eyes.

• Like Like x 1
  21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Another Pitt player makes good. Darrin Hall, Steelers should be looking at him.
    He would fit right in our backfield plans.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Wow man nice find that is almost like watching the game lol. Yeah your guy had a TD but didn't get much action. Hall did look good too but if I had to pick a guy it was Brossette. He had a nice catch like I said above over the shoulder for a TD and IMO that is something that fits on this team with Bell going bye bye. Of course we have tons of needs but I am not looking at a RB before our 3rd pick and I am not sure with our 3rd pick I would take one. That's why these 3 guys here mentioned might be very good picks for us in the 4th-5th.

• Like Like x 1
  25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree, first 3 rounds should be defense hopefully, unless a nice OL is available.

Heres a quick profile on Brossette that came up

https://www.bigblueview.com/2019/1/...ossette-rb-lsu-scouting-report-ny-giants-news

We have the capable starters in Conner/Samuels a nice complimentary piece is what I'm looking for, sounds like we are on the same page.

• Like Like x 1