1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Storm...

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by NY STEELERFAN, Jan 19, 2019.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Looks like it is gonna be a big one hope everyone stays safe. I know here in NY we are looking at 1-3" per hour and anywhere from 20-60" so the weather people say. Looks like a great weekend for some tv time and getting into a new series or some movies........be safe all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'll be out driving in it from the start until later this evening, so wish me luck. Studded snows better earn their keep tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Expected totals aren't too bad here. Plowable, but nothing catastrophic. It's the ice that's coming that has me concerned. Between around 0.5-1 inch of ice expected and high winds. Could result in power outages, and with the insane drop in temperature coming, that could get dicey.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Be safe but I can say I have had studded snow on a Corolla and that baby would go anywhere. Safe travels man

• Like Like x 1
  5. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Thanks, bud. I motored through it with no problems. Lot of jackasses on the roads who don't know what they're doing, but aside from that I ended up plowing the way up my hill just after midnight.

• Like Like x 2
  6. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, today's winds and low temps are going to be a problem for many. This has extended power outage written all over it.

7. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I think we escaped the worst of it. Only got about 5 inches here before it all changed over to sleet and freezing rain and eventually all rain. Did my best to keep clearing everything off before it accumulated too much so I didn't have to deal with sheets of ice. Roads around here aren't too bad, and it warmed up enough in the morning to keep everything from being a crystal forest.

Temperature dropped like a rock in the past few hours though. There's sure to be ice on the roads now even with all the salting. But we may be out of the woods for trees coming down due to being weighed down with high winds. You guys north of us have it much worse from what I'm seeing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    We had more snow last weekend, but with the wind and snowdrift, the snow in my driveway was twice as high.

The worst for me so far was my brand new heat pump having so much ice build up that the fan couldn't spin. It took 6 buckets of hot water to melt off enough ice to get the fan spinning again.

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I wasn't smart enough to do that I waited till this morning and really suffered for it. I had about 6 inches and the crap was wet and nasty plugging up my snowblower every 5 min. Oh well that is what I get for waiting ha ha ha

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    It must be about 10 years ago now. But we had a storm on Valentine's Day. Over a foot of snow that changed to a "wintery mix" and then rain, only to have temps plummet in the early morning.

I figured I'd wait and clear everything in the morning. I got up around 8 and went outside to find almost a foot thick of ICE over my entire driveway (and a mound 5 feet wide and over 2 feet thick of ice after the plow pushed it against my driveway overnight). The rain soaked into the snow, and then flash froze when the temps plummeted. 4 hours later, using a pickaxe, I still didn't have enough cleared out for one car, much less 2. Took the entire day and a little the next morning to clear everything off.

I will NEVER make that mistake again. LOL

• Like Like x 2
  11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Holy cow wow....mine wasn't that bad lol

12. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    We were projetted to get 2ft up here in Canada but 6" at best. Lots of ice but overall we didn't get hit too bad.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    -8 degrees with the windchill right now. Got lucky yesterday that the rain ended earlier than first predicted or we'd be smack in the middle of a nasty ice storm. Temps began plummeting around 5pm yesterday.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hate that! Every damn storm last year was the wet heavy stuff. Snow blower was useless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I was kinda looking forward to the snow clean up then I found out how wet it was. That changed everything in a hurry. Well at least it is suppose to be 40 on Wednesday and that will help get rid of some of the ice that was left.....