1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Still think the NFL's not rigged?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 21, 2019.

1. spleeny09

spleeny09 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    The game is not rigged. The refs just suck.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    It's not an either/or situation. Sometimes the refs suck and sometimes they take money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    My two cents:

a) they seem to be on the receiving end when it really counts is because they play so many games that really count. We just see them so much in big games that I think it just seems that way more than anything else.

b) teams do messed up things when they play the Patriots. For example, the Seahawks trying to pass at the end of the SB or Atlanta basically playcalling themselves out of clinching FG, guy lining up offsides on a crucial play, etc. All of these things happen IMO because the Pats are inside the head of every other franchise in the NFL, except seemingly the Giants. Coaches and players do things out of character simply cuz its the Patriots. They're all on tilt in poker terms.

c) Related to b, they don't even have to cheat anymore because everyone thinks they are cheating. It's like Gaylord Perry. He said he became so known for throwing spitballs that he eventually didn't have to since everyone thought he did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It's so rigged. Patriots beat the Rams and team they beat in their first Super Bowl to come full circle and win their 6th. Rams "robbed" the Saints so everybody will say the Rams didn't even deserve to be there. I knew something was up when we were finally allowed to beat them in the regular season.

5. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Totally agree as nonsense is the key word.If that was us getting in nine Super Bowls and 14 or something like that AFC championship games since 2001 everyone would be hating on and be tired of us except Steeler fans.No conspiracy as I’m sure the NFL and CBS wanted a Brady, Brees Super Bowl!In my opinion Belichick is more of Super Star at what he does than Brady!If you ever get a chance watch the Bill and Bill 30 30 on ESPNIt shows the relationship between Belichick and Parcels through the early Belichick and Parcels years with the Giants in 86 and their relationship and how they have evolved to now.Belichick as defensive coordinator back then just studied the game and broke down strengths and weaknesses of his team and the opposing team to every little detail like no one did or has.I really don’t understand the spy gate thing or the deflated footballs as they never really needed to do that to win.Kind of like Nixon and watergate.Yes, I am jealous of the Patriots but have to respect what they have accomplished.Another thing,Goodell has to get ahold of the referee situation as too many games are decided by bad calls.No conspiracy, just some rule tweaking with official reviews on some calls, mainly pass interference in the last 5 minutes of a game.

6. Big30

Big30 Member

Jan 8, 2019
    Look I hate the pats just as much or not more than half this board but you have to give them the respect that they deserve no name defense, gronk and Ed and these guys be making clutch performances over and over again Brady is just a great QB and the Hoodie is the Hoodie the man gets the best out of average players year end and year out real talk great schemes there team so average that’s it crazy to see them in the bowl again and again and again

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Or, the game is rigged AND the refs suck. No one knows what is going on for real. I need something to ease my pain and blaming the refs works for me right now. Tomorrow could be Tomlin, and next week working towards Colbert. That should cover a lot of bases. LOL.

8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    You could be right but I still can't give them anything resembling respect till at least June.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Come with some proof or STFU.
    JMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'll bet most of the refs have gilette shavers in they're medicine cabinets.:hehehe::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    The other more rational explanation is that super slo-mo replay from 30 camera angles results in the belief by the 100 million viewers, 2 announcers and one rent an official in the TV booth that "the refs suck". I'm thinking that they've always sucked like this because they're human with 22 gorilla-sized dudes running around all over the place in front of them and they catch some things, miss some things and miss-see other things. Only solution (and this will annoy the hell out of the viewing public) is to make certain or all penalties or non-penalties reviewable - most of these could be decided quickly and maybe from upstairs. Every one of these questionable penalties or non-penalties this past weekend (and earlier, like Steelers/Saints) could have been decided swiftly since they were obvious one way or the other. This still won't resolve the Edelman/Matrix escape type controversies but could solve lots of other issues. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Unfortunately for most fans other than patriot fans I think hoodie makes Brady better and Brady makes hoodie better.Just a great chemistry there.I would like to see more chemistry with Tomlin and our players and not the “I’m your buddy type!”

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It's sports entertainment, take it for what it's worth.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Yep. And so is the WWE. They are more similar than I would like to believe.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Isn’t this exactly how it would look if they had covertly-obtained intel that gave them insight into exactly what the Chiefs intended to do in certain situations?

I’ll say this in response to much of what I’m reading in this thread: There’s no large NFL conspiracy involving refs, or anyone else in the league office. A conspiracy among people across the league to rig certain outcomes is completely implausible. Something like that would involve too many people to survive. Officiating is getting worse across the board though. It’s a growing problem for the league. That non PI that benefitted the Rams was gross incompetence.

What I don’t think is implausible is a franchise that’s been caught red handed cheating TWICE during championship seasons finding new and creative ways to get an edge outside of the rules. I’ll ask a question: what’s more implausible: 1) a franchise that’s been caught cheating doing it again, or 2) Belichick and Brady having a monopoly on football IQ despite all of the other smart people in the league? Are they very smart? Unquestionably yes. Has it been established that they will seek ways to get an edge by circumventing the rules? I think the answer to that is also unquestionably yes based on history. Are they getting an edge at times right now by breaking the rules? Of course I don’t know, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least. As Thorn said above about a particular play: “it was just freaky to watch.” I see that type of freakiness too much. If they hadn’t already been caught twice, I would just say “wow, they’re great.” However, they HAVE been caught cheating, and because of that I’ll always have suspicions when I see them do something that shows a freaky awareness of what the other team is doing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Just like the Chicago Bulls in the 90s.

18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    In terms of what ways they're cheating, idk. But I look at it this way, when a magician performs a trick the audience is baffled how was it done? But once the solution is revealed, things appear much simpler. There's a reason nobody has ever done what the Pats have done, because it's impossible without an outside advantage.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Break out the tinfoil hats.

20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Well as much as Steeler fans hate to admit it, without some very questionable calls the Seahawks win in 2005.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Ahh, the fix was in. What other way is there to explain it??

22. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Atleast within the final 2 minutes of ea half or somethin

23. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

Actually you can. Not all missed calls are created equal. Some missed calls are understandable as they may have been difficult to see and often had no impact on the play what so ever...for example a ticky tack face mask. That missed PI and shot to the head gave the NFC title to the Rams. It was as blatant as they come. They had to have seen it. Refs standing all over the place. They chose not to call it as it would have totally ended the game. The SB match up is a joke and I will not watch it.

24. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

There were bad calls on both sides. But if you were to rate the severity of the bad calls the neutral zone infraction and roughing the de-gasser were as bad as it gets... almost as bad as the Saints screw job. They can call neutral zone penalties on about 15 plays a game but never do unless it's a case of a player jumping when the ball is snapped and you catch him offside.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    I’m more butthurt than anyone but NFL is not rigged. Every damn team thinks the NFL is against them.

The NFL doesn’t like the cheats, look at the suspensions and fines. You can’t say it’s rigged for them when Brady, Edelman & there team have been fined and suspended. I watched the afc game and the chiefs got away with blatant PI and got PI calls against the cheats.

If they wanted LA promotion they would of let the chargers win. It didn’t happen. Rigging would be having a New York and LA team in it every year as that is he biggest market. Nobody likes those dickheads in Boston, I like every person on this earth outside of Boston hate those chowder heads.

Just stop with this rigged crap it makes us look bad as a fan base.