1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

where are we

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    The acquiring team would assume his contract as-is. I’m not sure if it’s a fifth-year option contract to them, or just a fully guaranteed one-year contract.

2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    We might have to give picks for someone to take him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I get a kick out of the doom and gloom portrayed by many on here.

i'm going to have a fun time digging up posts next year calling people out

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Have our window closed??

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If bud would have became a FA we could have gotten a comp pick anyway. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  6. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    It is a great measure of accountability.

Without pointing to anyone specifically, I would agree that there are some discussions (in several threads) that fall into the “sky is falling theme”.

In the end, key pieces of the offense will remain in tact (with or without AB). We will continue to have a good offensive line and Ben will be returning. The defense will be what it will be, a continued work in progress. To be honest, we really haven’t been able to rely on the defense in a number of years.

7. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Offense - above average

Defense - mediocre

Special Teams - arguably worst in the league

Coaching/Ownership - go figure

Rational appraisal is closer to sky is falling, rather than Lombardi #7.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    A years supply of Bubble Yum for Danny Smith. Make that trade!

9. Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2019
    In saying the offense is above average, are you thinking we are going to take a step backwards in 2019 (with the possible absence of AB, etc)? We finished 2018 ranked 4th in total offense and 6th in points per game.

I think the defense is probably average, given the points we give up per game; however, the cause was certainly not helped by the negative turnover margin.

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Or those lovely 4th quarter meltdowns. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy huh? Probably Average?

I don't know if anyone noticed but when the defense was on the field getting shelled they would pan over to Ben. Lets say his facial expressions were not of joy.

The offense will be fine with or without Brown.

The defense and special teams need a 180 or we will see most of the same.

Can't wait to have my posts revisited and having me put in my place :lolol:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Offense is about more than points and yards. Ask Dan Fouts. It's about that elusive "IT" factor. The offense can't close out a game. Neither can the defense. There is more talent than results. No player regularly steps up in critical situations. That's what is lacking and NO team will win the championship without that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2019
    I guess I don’t agree with the comments about the defense being below average or outright horrible. The defense was 6th in total yards and 16th in points allowed. I think that sounds pretty average.

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm sorry but most rankings and stats are a joke. This D came up with basically one stop all year when it counted and that was against NE. I'm sure all of our jaws hit the floor because it's the last thing you come to expect from them. The O is the same thing. They can rack up all the points and yards they want but if they don't come at the right time they're nothing but numbers. I think it was Clive who posted I think it was points for and against the offense and defense by quarter. The numbers showed slow starts and bad finishes on both units. 6th in this ,16 th in that don't mean anything at the end. Go by what you see and not what the numbers tell you. What I see is a D that can't close out games and a O that isn't nearly as consistent as their talent should suggest.

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yup. We failed to finish too often. Breakdowns on both sides of the ball in key moments.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2019
    I agree statistics can say a lot of things, but that doesn’t mean they should be discounted entirely.

At the end of the day, we are a few missed kicks and a couple of untimely fumbles/interceptions away from having another 2-3 wins.

I do think there is room for improvement, but we probably aren’t as far away as some people think.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  16. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    We are a mess. Name one team that could afford to lose the best WR and best RB in the league and still be expected to compete. This season has been a complete disaster. The best coach on our team just quit. Players want out. This now makes 2019 a rebuilding year. The excuse next season will be we were too young or too many injuries. We did not have a major injury to a key player this season and we still lost to the Raiders and missed the playoffs. This is the perfect time for the FO to fire Tomlin and clean house. We need leadership from our coaches and we will not get it with this group.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Many are still in the coping stage of bitter disappointment on how the season unfolded this year. Some get over it more rapidly. Attitudes will change as time passes and the need to see our team play overcomes the crap that is still going on right now. Steeler fans are used to winning and no drama. Negative posts is an outlet to help the healing process. I've got another couple of months until I get over 2018 and look forward to the draft to help build the optimism for another SB run (if no one screws it up - see I'm still healing),.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You are correct. Others are thinking with emotion rather than facts. Now the 4th quarter meltdowns were very untimely (Thank you Mr Obvious) and that is what people fixate on.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You are correct. Others are thinking with emotion rather than facts. Now the 4th quarter meltdowns were very untimely (Thank you Mr Obvious) and that is what people fixate on. If those plays happened in the first quarter no one would remember and we wouldn’t be having these discussions.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i thought our defense held there own in the last few games. it was like they finally turned the corner. are they a finished product, no but we are not that far off either. the offense if we lose AB and two TE's and two O-linemen will be quite different. feiler played well enough to take gilberts spot. chuks did as well. finney has looked good enough to take fosters spot if needed. at that point depth will be needed and replaced. if foster comes back we should be in good shape there.

ILB needs fixed X2. :cool:

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Goals going forward deal AB For draft pick/s.
    Cut do not sign or package several players see list in earlier threads, your non favorites hear.
    ARTII sit down with team and coaches lay down the rules. Make sure everybody is on same page.
    If allowable by CBA no Social media during season. None.
    Only draft players, bring in players that love football and want to play football for team purposes.
    Draft ILB or corner in first and second round.
    Pick up competent WR 50-60 catch person.
    Sign capable RB for depth
    Sign a FS
    Win AFC North title
    Win AFC Division Title
    Win Superbowl
    Lets go execute this plan.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We’ve had 7 winning seasons and no losing seasons, made the playoffs 6 times, 2 AFC Championship games and 1 super Bowl appearance. Still have another season left in this decade.

Give me a break with the 80’s comparison.
    There’s a lot of people overreacting and over exaggerating right now.

23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I don't think he has much of any right now as he might be even hitting the market this year again. I will be intrigued to see what he'd actually get in the free agent market. I don't think it's as little as many people are projecting.

24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

I think we found our replacement for Mike Tomlin ;)

Actually I like a lot of it, but I'd look to get a high profile free agent pass rusher. There are some high profile players at the edge rush as well as safety position that look to be hitting the market.

25. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    That high?