1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Burnett is the next veteran to want out

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Busman, Jan 19, 2019.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    He was likely to be gone anyways. Him asking for release really did not change much. For that matter, the draft plans likely are not changed either.

That being said, acquiring another safety in Free Agency seems to be a bigger possibility. Not too sure if the team trusts Marcus Allen to fill that role just yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Hell, I didnt even know hr was out there when he was. For me, he was the biggest disappointment this year. I expected alot out if him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Edmunds is the future. Move along. Plus Marcus Allen has some talent like to see him get some better looks year 2.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Nj43

Nj43 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Here’s an idea. Do what the coaches ask.

Here’s an idea. Do what the coaches ask. Maybe they saw that he could help the TEAM in that role. Things often change during a season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

• Like Like x 4
  6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Who knows. Edmunds actually was intended to be the dime (nickel look) LB. He wasn't working out there apparently so they put Burnett there. Burnett apparently isn't happy in that role.

I have no problem with. We actually had a player communicate in a professional manner despite the outcome. Pretty impressed with that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yes Burnett see's the writing on the wall, as the season went on Edmunds seamed to get more and more playing time. Like I said in the Peterson thread offer Burnett with AB to the Cards for Peterson......if not see ya!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He played some dime linebacker with the Packers, too, and the Steelers were always clear that his versatility was something they wanted to use. They weren't dishonest with him.

He was brought in to start at safety, but he lost his starting job because he couldn't stay on the field. That's on Burnett, not the coaches.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    If you want out, then get the steppin. It's one thing to put up with nonsense from all word players like AB and LB. It's another thing to put up with it from run of the mill, oft injured, players like Burnett. If this is how he feels, I would flat out release him tomorrow and make a statement. I don't agree with Tomlin much, but I agree with this much. We don't need hostages, we need volunteers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Good to know you care a LOT.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I wonder if he would have felt this way if we were still in it or got into the playoffs. He's Bantha fodder. If it doesn't negatively impact the cap, shovel him out.

13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yeah sometimes people post stuff they have no clue about. He was under the knowledge that he could very well be lining up a linebacker in passing situations.

I'm not butthurt by him desiring to move on. I don't think it's a negative reflection on the organization as a whole.

14. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    You gotta wonder if he really wants out or did he see the writing on the wall and just said he wants out to save face when he's cut anyway?

• Like Like x 1
  15. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I feel for the dude. Every year in high school football I went to the safety group the first day of practice. Every year I was in the linebacker group on day 2!

Coaches always moved me, and I always hated it. I had to play for the high school I lived nearest to and couldn’t request a release to play with another team. He can, so if that’s where his heart is, go for it. Just give us part of the signing bonus back.

• Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I guess you don't remember all those Steelers free agents leaving :shrug:, Rod Woodson, Chad Brown, Eric Green, Leon Searcy.

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He knows he won't play much next season, except as the Dime LB. Good riddance, he can't be counted on anyway. Go out and sign Deone Buccannon in free agency to be the Dime LB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He can't stay on the field. Maybe we can package him and others
    for players that can stay on the field and want to play.

19. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Burnett has the 12th highest cap number on the team at 6,466,666 if we could trade him great if we have to release him fine. If we release him we will save 3,633,332 but I would make him give back his 1.4 mil signing bonus.......hey Morgan you want out it will cost ya. Either way we win cause we will be get cap relief and this is going to be a fun off season with money to spend for a change.

This year the safety class is deep and going off last years numbers we could get a bargain to replace this guy. Point being guys like Joyner, Collins, Mathieu and Amos will get the big bucks guys like Parker, Nix, Vaccaro, Boston and Graham could be right in our wheelhouse. I would take every single one of the guys I just mentioned over Burnett all day long!

20. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I don’t think it would be fair to blame this one on the culture of the team or leadership.

He isn’t getting the playing time he thought he would. He has become frustrated by this fact.

Before we signed him, I believe he was pretty clear that he wanted to go to a team to start. That is not what his role evolved into. Additionally, he is getting up there in age and he probably figures he doesn’t have a lot of time left.

As far as the dime linebacker piece is concerned, I would imagine this was communicated to him in advance. I remember reading opinion pieces and quotes that alluded to this (around the time of his signing). I think someone in the organization even came out and said it very early on.

At the end of the day, I think he is being a little short sighted in his decision. Before we signed him, there were already concerns about his injury history. This year would not have helped his cause.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If we designate him as an after june1 cut, we save over 5 mil.. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He can't stay healthy. That's enough for me to see him go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I read on twitter that maybe the Steelers told Burnett they were going to release him, that's why he went to the media to save face.

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Makes sense. It allows him to rationalize why he didn’t provide much value this year.

25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Is Burnett the only guy on the planet that didn't know the Steelers were going to use him as a dime linebacker? Give me a break.