1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What if.....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by EnglishSteeler, Jan 17, 2019.

1. EnglishSteeler

EnglishSteeler Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    First time posting here. In England our coverage is almost entirely 'official' NFL so we don't get too much of the actual story rather more what Rapaport thinks is gonna happen, so im sorry if this is off the mark...

But given how much I've heard over the years about us covering for AB and brushing stuff under the carpet, what if the Browns had actually planned for the repeated blitz on that last set of downs and Mayfield had made a couple more plays on that last drive. They get into range and hit a game winning FG as time expires, putting the Steelers into the postseason?

Does this AB thing get made public and plastered all over effectively ending his stay in Pittsburgh?

Or for the best for everyone involved does it get forgotten about (again)? Cos I'm sure AB would want to play in a postseason prime time game and I'm also sure that Tomlin et al would have wanted him lining up too?

Just wondered what everyones thoughts were?

Also attended an NFL live event in the UK last night and proud to say that the hatred of the cheats is strong over here too!

• Like Like x 4
  2. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I said it the other day - had it played out that we squeaked into the playoffs, I wonder if MT would have had the intestinal fortitude to sit AB for the first (most likely only) playoff game. Who would've been the villain then?

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

welcome to the board english.:drinks::cool:

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Ditto, welcome to the board english!!!!

5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe AB would have played if we made it into the playoffs. I think Tomlin would have done everything possible to cover it up so that AB could play. The old motto rings true, winning cures everything.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Couldn't agree more. Zero chance he benches him if we made it in, IMO.

7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    He would have played and 10 minutes in when Ben didn't throw to him in triple coverage he would have stormed off the field and texted Le'von Bell and told him to meet him at Primanti's for a sandwich.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I believe the blow up would have been worse. Stuff would have leaked out during the prep leading up to the game and the team would have been more unfocused than a blind man getting fitted for contacts. The team would have lost by 20 on their home field.

9. EnglishSteeler

EnglishSteeler Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    I know its a 'we will never know' scenario but who knows what could have happened had the rift been healed. Given the unpredictable nature of the league and especially AFC this year we may never have heard about the argument until they talked about it on Americas Game years later!

10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Welcome to the board English! I echo what @shaner82 and @TerribleTowelFlying said. If the Browns would have beat the Ravens, Tomlin would have downplayed the whole thing and played it off like AB was injured. No doubt in my mind AB would have started the wildcard game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If Tomlin sat him, 60% of the people here would have called him an idiot.

If Tomlin played him, 60% of the people here would have called him an idiot.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The fact that he did not return calls to Art Rooney would have been significant. He would have had to make amends before there would have been any chance of playing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Finally, an accent I can understand... welcome to the board!

A few kicks made, a few less fumbles, AB’s antics remain annoying but tolerable asides and everything goes on as normal. Including maddening inconsistency which probably sees us knocked out of the play offs early.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Why bash Tomlin? This is ALL on AB. Would he have contacted anyone associated with the Steelers if the Stains had won? Only AB knows.

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My hope is that out of all of this Tomlin comes away with the belief that he can no longer be a passive guide of these players but must be a driving force behind his vision of the team. It is a small hope but hope nonetheless

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Coaches can't control or be stern guides for every player. A handful of players won't listen. Player issues happen league wide. Player issues are nothing new. Even for the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That is true but it is also hard to present any type of structure or discipline when you have let things go for too long. It is also hard to have a team philosophy and structure when there is obvious meritocracy being used that supercedes it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I think that would be determined by the outcome of the game. But, I get your point.

19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Welcome Englander. With the well documented and continuous pathetic control that our staff has on the players, you could bet your sweet bippy that AB is on the field beginning to end of a playoff game if we were in one this year. That wouldn't really be a bad idea as holding him out would only fuel more drama than to play him and missing time. But then again, who the hell knows with this team.

20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    It was pretty neat to be in that stadium with 55,000 people not leaving their seats and cheering on the rival Browns to beat the Rats. Something that I doubt my 11 years old will ever forget. It would have been really exciting walking out of there knowing that it aligned and we were going to the layoffs. Instead you literally hear a pin drop. It went from decibel 10 to 0 on just that interception. It also will probably be the last time we ever cheer for the Browns.

My perspective if they would have made the playoffs then everything would surface still but AB would be playing in every playoff game they participated in. We all saw how lousy the offense was without him during that Bengals game. Expect much of the same next season if/when he goes elsewhere.

21. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers handed out discipline. They did it in different ways over the years. When players cross the line that's when they need to go.

It's not hard to have a team philosophy and structure in professional sports. Players with good sense generally know their value. Players that act up don't seem to think or care. Players get preferential treatment based on talent and production. They are rewarded with playing time and ultimately higher salaries. Top level talented and productive players get more leeway than their peers. Meritocracy appears to be prevalent throughout professional sports.

22. Nj43

Nj43 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Welcome to the board English. AB would have definitely played. The Tomlin circus would have continued for another week w some ingenious spin like it always has.