1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are the best coaches leaving?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Jan 15, 2019.

1. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Why are the Steelers' best coaches leaving voluntarily and involuntarily?

Dick LeBeau - legendary defensive coach - retired? Why? Not as good? Or Mike Tomlin interfering?
    James Saxon - developer of LeVeon Bell, James Conner, and an improving Jaylen Samuels - contract lapses - Why?
    Mike Munchak - developer of a top 3 best offensive lines - contract lapses - Why?

Is Mike Tomlin afraid of strong capable coaches? Is this why Keith Butler is still around? He poses no threat and allows Tomlin to deflect the team's failure to him. Does Tomlin believe he will never be fired by the Rooneys? So why not just mail it in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Tomlin needs scapegoats. Mmmm scapegoats...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    kinda like ben wanting landry around forever lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. fansince40s

fansince40s Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I don't know but how do you control a personality like AB, he has his big bucks contract nailed down so now he can do just as he pleases. He needs to be in the spotlight all the time, he always wants attention and praise but when he doesn't get it he goes off the deep end. They should have thought of all that before singing him to that big bucks contract. I don't think Tomlin or anyone else could control AB and his antics is rubbing off on others in the locker room and turning it into kayos. So the best coaches probably think, I could always go somewhere else and do the same thing without all this everyday crap going on.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Not going to speak to the Saxon/Munchak debacles - enough said on that one already.

But it was time for DL to go. I love the guy, and he was a genius in his time - but most of the league had already figured out his schemes. Not to mention, it didn't appear that the FO was willing to give him players "smart enough" to fit those same schemes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    This may be the first year that Tomlin hasn’t had an ex-HC on the staff. Could be a good thing depending on what you think of Tomlin.

Personally I like it, as it establishes the clear hierarchy of the coaching staff. This is entirely Tomlin’s team now. No more factions, no more “if Tomlin’s fired we have this guy waiting” thoughts.

Yeah losing Munchak really sucks, but it may not be as bad as it seems.

7. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Regardless of personality or how much a player makes, every player in the NFL has standards they're expected to live up to. And while I don't know specifics of the current CBA, I'm sure there are words written regarding "conduct detrimental to the team." What's been going on this season should definitely qualify for action if the team wanted to take any (fine and/or suspension)

To me, they've let this fester for too long, and a small brushfire quickly became a raging inferno as the season went on....

8. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    losing the most respected coach on the staff with the current state of affairs doesn't come across as being a good thing, unfortunately

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    I surely buy the "smart enough" thought.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Is it possible that Tomlin is only interested in hiring or keeping cronies that will not challenge him? He brings his buddies on and if they rock the boat them cuts them lose the Steelers way, not renewing their contracts? Looks like he walks all over Butler, so he stays. Hired his buddy Porter who had no business being on the staff other than as a bouncer and he goes away due to sheer incompetence. Haley did a fairly good job last year but was let go. Maybe he was rocking the boat more than tolerable with Tomlin or Ben. Arians, he seems to have done well for himself after being dismissed. Of all the years that Tomlin has been running the show, has there been a huge demand to hire any of his staff to take over other teams like the Cheats? I don't know as I am thinking with my keyboard and just wondering if this is possible. I read a post above and it got me wondering.

11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin is livid that J. Porter & C. Lake are gone.

12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Enough to quit?

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

Munchak *=(<< think I spelled his name right) left upon his own volition. This wasn't Tomlin driving him out of town with some type of motivation to eliminate any competition. Seriously wonder sometimes why people are thinking like this.

If Tomlin is to be replaced, he will be. Rooney can go far beyond his own coaching staff to find a head coach if indeed that is what he deems is appropriate.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I was just pondering the thought. But you have to wonder, with Tomlin being around for some time now, that his coaching tree lacks the luster of other coaches like Reid and Belecheat. Arians is probably his best legacy and Tomlin "fired" him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Tomlins coaching tree is more like a sapling with one branch and like 3 leaves. FMTI

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Charlie Browns Christmas tree?

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    He dumps them and he is livid? How does that work? Whenever Someone fired themselves I was relieved to see the sluggard go. I never fired anyone they fired themselves by not doing their job or destroying our employee chemistry.

18. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
  19. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Dick LeBeau was awesome but his system is antiquated with the current rules in place. The CBs we have had were all physical types that were great in run support and he used thumper safeties to lay the wood on opposing receivers. His scheme fell apart because of two things, the first is that teams figured out how to pick up the zone blitz he developed, and the second was he lacked a true cover corner at the end and it forced him to constantly drop the LBers into coverage. I will give Keith Butler props for getting more pressure on QBs but he still uses the same basic system as LeBeau which is why you see him keep LBers on TEs and slot recievers even when it isn't working. Also remember that we all complained about LeBeau not making adjustments when teams were picking apart his zone schemes. I don't think coaches are leaving because of the HC issues, Munchak has stated he has family in Denver and Porter and Saxon were, in my humble opinion, sacrifices to a hostile fan base that wanted coaching changes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Damn you. You beat me to it . I was gonna post the quote and see how many here agreed and then told them I came from Harrison just to see how many then disagreed . I know the hatred is strong. I'm not going near it but isn't he saying the same thing we've been saying for a few years now?

21. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    Totally agree with you. Which is why I didn't preface my post with "I HATE THIS GUY!!1!" LOL

• Like Like x 1
  22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I think if you evaluate this season we didn’t achieve our goal winning the division but we finished a half a game out of the division, in a winning the division, had lots of opportunities to get there. It’s disappointing but not sure that makes you a circus.” Art Rooney.

If this is how he really feels. It's pretty sad. Am I alone with this opinion?

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/r...in-well-cross-that-bridge-when-we-come-to-it/

23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    if he extends Tomlin I don't know what to think of this franchise anymore lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I actually feel bad for Arians that he has to be associated as part of Tomlin's coaching tree and that he has to carry that stink with him

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I didn't think Tomlin had a coaching tree.
    Many of his coaches were either involved in college or NFL prior to Steeler employment.