1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How long have you been a fan?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers89, Jan 12, 2019.

1. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    1975. I was given a football book and I was very drawn to the uniforms. Been a fan ever since.

2. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

You really have seen the highest of highs and lowest of lows. Kudos.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Would also have to say since birth in 1950. The ticket in the avatar was I believe my Dad's first season as a season ticket holder (he wrote on back that Steelers won that game in 1947, 35-24 - wow!). Since they only played 12 games total/6 home games this meant a season ticket would run you $24 (would that even buy you a beer and a dog at Heinz today?"). My Dad's group parked for free at the bottom of Cardiac Hill and hiked up to either Forbes Field or Pitt Stadium (based on fuzzy memories). Our household revolved for 3 months a year around the Steelers schedule and dictated which Mass we attended on Sundays - home games it was 8:15 am Mass and away televised games it was 10:15 am. Our Pastor was close friends with the Rooneys so as an Altar Boy, we got one free Steeler ticket each season starting around 1959. The 1970's Dynasty was almost a blurr looking back because it coincided with college graduation, starting a career, getting married, buying a house, having kids etc etc but it was still very exciting with the emergence of Pittsburgh as the City of Champions even though I was transplanted to the Left Coast years before. Lowest of lows still the 94 and 95 season endings only to be matched with the 2004 season ending after still the most amazing Steelers regular season ever IMHO. SB 40 and 43 victories were the highs and have I been on emotional cruise control since then. I just take it one game at a time, one season at a time. :steelflag:

• Like Like x 1
  4. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Born in 1983, so a fan since the late 80s early 90s. I can look up the stats, but all I remember is bubby brister, ernie green, rod woodson and a bunch of 9-7 mediocre years. I dont take the losses all too hard because it is not like I have any factor in a win or a loss. The only thing that truly bugs me are the clock management issues. I'd be willing to let them know how to manage a clock for free if they just let me go to every game for free.

5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    This thread is interesting. I always assume you have to be born in the city you root for but this proves otherwise. I read the Penguins boards and I notice Hockey fans from around the world because their fellow countrymen are on the team. Now for the Pirates and their 10 fans they are all born in the Burgh.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Tommyp

Tommyp New Member

Dec 30, 2018
    New member from Toledo Ohio area. Fan since 8 years old. 77-78 season.

• Like Like x 2
  7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Welcome TommyP! You'll really like it here, just remember to fasten your chinstrap after game day losses and unfortunately many Steeler victories as some folks are never satisfied. Very knowledgeable fans on this MB. Never ceases to amaze me. Enjoy the ride. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    We know you are a Steeler fan but which team is your arch enemy??? Browns or Bengals????

9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I don't think anyone outside of Cinncinati likes the Bengals. lol

Kudos on the thread Steelers89, a breath of fresh air among the current doom & gloom.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    No. Still a pirate fan as long as the Steelers and from Ohio.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I had a friend who was a big Redskins fan. He was from Seattle before Seattle had a team. He told me he was a teenager before he figured out Washington was from DC and not the state of Washington.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  12. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
  13. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I love the BUCS because I was raised on them and they ruled the roost in the Burgh in the 60's. Ohio has the Indians who at least give their fans decent seasons at times. I think since the Reds broke my heart in 1990 they have been pretty much as bad as the BUCS.

14. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Since 1970. Born in Pitt and have been a fan since day 1. It was great watching this team back in the day. Have seen a lot of “ups and downs” during this time frame, but I’ve had the fortune to see many Hall of Famers play for this team. Heck, I was watching the Pens when they had the blue and white uniforms!! Great sports town.

15. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    1959 Seen a lot up’s and down’s over the years but never the issues they are having today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I was a young boy but remember being so upset when the PENS did not wear black and yellow. I was at the second home game of their first season and remember older guys around me saying they would never last in the Burgh. Thanks to Pittsburgh icon Mario Lemieux they have stayed and gone on to greatness. Them and the Pirates need one more Championship to tie the Steelers with 6. Would love to see it happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tommyp

Tommyp New Member

Dec 30, 2018
    thanks. 40 years.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tommyp

Tommyp New Member

Dec 30, 2018
    browns

19. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Since 1967. My best fried's dad was a Brownie. We lost every year, but I could root against him. Then came the 1970's. WOW.