1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shaun Sarrett Named New Offensive Line Coach

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Jan 14, 2019.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont get the big deal. It's not like they will forget what they learned. Plus all I have read about this guy is positive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Pretty much a no-brainer move, but I like it nonetheless. Don’t have to be a HOF guard to be an effective coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wow ... we lost Munch. Not to a head coaching job, but to the same position. Guys and Gals we are now officially the new cleveland browns. If you all can't see it then you are blind as mice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Or maybe Munchak wanted to go to Denver to be closer to family.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Nothing against Sarrett, but I think Steelers fans are all waiting for something big to happen that would indicate positive change has been made. While this move makes sense, it certainly isn't that "everything's gonna be okay" hire we are all looking for. I hope Sarrett has been taking notes on how Munch did things, and continues the legacy Munchak started here with the O-line. Sarrett has HUGE shoes to fill.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd also like to throw this out there for discussion while everyone is downplaying Munchak's importance and trying to upsell Sarrett. You have to ask if he has learned a lot from Munch and has never been the primary position coach why didn't the Broncos try for him and save some money? Young and up and coming coach learned at the feet of a pro, why not try for him?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Short answer is because there is only one Mike Munchak. Why hire his assistant when you can just poach the real thing? Munchak is worth every penny. This Sarrett could be the next Munchak, or he could be the next Larry Zierlein. I give Elway a lot of credit here for spending the money necessary to make positive change on his football team. In the grand scheme of things the money they gave Munchak is peanuts in comparison to what Munchak will bring to the Broncos.

10. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    These changes to the coaching staff and player personnel are going to give this team a different vibe. It may become more unified. I believe Tomlin is going to be a different coach in 2019. We didn't win with the superstar divas, so maybe the more humble, hard working, better camaraderie approach gets the job done. The Steelers have several good young players that hopefully will develop into leaders of the team. JuJu Smith-Schuster looks to be as hard as worker as AB. JuJu reminds me alot of Hines Wsrd with more talent.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good luck Sarrett. Big shoes to fill!

Really bad timing for Munch to move on. His tutelage will be missed for Okorafor. Hope Sarrett is up to it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Is there someone coming in to work with the offensive tackles? Will both offensive tackle and interior lineman be handled by Sarrett? Here is hoping more information comes soon.

13. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The only thing that will be different about Tomlin this time next year is that he won't have the "never had a losing season" argument to hide behind any more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Seeing as how it seems to be such a burden for Tomlin to hire coaches, I doubt it.

15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Because I honestly think the Broncos are forward thinking enough to hire a head coach and then Munch if the HC does not work out

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I like the fact that our players are familiar with SS. He was here even before munch and munch did for him what munch did for our line.:cool:

17. fer69

fer69 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Or maybe not.

Steelers promote Shaun Sarrett to offensive line coach
    Posted by Mike Florio on January 14, 2019, 8:01 PM EST
    [​IMG]
    Getty Images

The Steelers will stay in-house to find their next offensive line arch.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the team has promoted assistant offensive line coach Shaun Sarrett to the primary job, on the same day former offensive line coach Mike Munchak took the same position in Denver.

The Steelers surely didn’t expect Munchak, a Hall of Fame offensive lineman and former head coach of the Titans, to leave for anything less than a head-coaching job. Via Bouchette, Munchak made comments to Ron Cook of the Post-Gazette in November suggesting that Munchak would be staying put.

“When you’re in an organization like [the Steelers], I don’t think there are any better,” Munchak said at the time. “I don’t know why you would want to go anywhere else. For me, it’s a good fit.”

Denver apparently is a better fit. While some Steelers fans will shrug at the news, attributing it to the fact the Munchak’s daughter lives in Denver, the loss of one of the best offensive line coaches in football has to be troubling, the latest tangible sign that the organization is moving in anything but the right direction.

18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Have to wonder what motivated Munchak to want to leave here, was it really to be close to family because it's not like he has a lot of family in denver, or was it to get away from tomlin???

19. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Munch wanted out of this dumpster fire. I don't blame him. So far we've let go two good coaches, one bad one, and hired one bad one. Meanwhile, the main power structure remains entirely intact. Art has killed the Steelers.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Porter gone
    Saxon gone
    Haley gone
    Lake gone
    Bell gone
    Mitchel gone
    AB likely gone

What has remained the same? What could cause Munch to want to leave? Hmmm. I wonder.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    More like ... wanting to be away from this dysfunctional family.... called the Steelers...lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Family :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I posted that story in the Munchak thread. I'll take Munch at his word.

Doesn't change my opinion that MT is part of the problem with whats going on both in the locker room and games.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Munchak's contract was up & he wanted to live in Denver? Who would you hire if you were Horseface (Elway)?

25. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    You forgot about BA and DL being gone too. All these keys people gone yet the problem remains the same.

But we still have the "Only 3 coaches in 50 years" that we can still brag about.