1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Look at behavior, not words

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    You might want to also look at words. Anyone remember "Young Money"? It's too bad the coaches and management didn't see the warning signs back then. We could have saved ourselves a lot of drama now. Maybe we don't contend as much as we did, but remember, no super bowls came from having the killer b's.

2. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Which he, and some people thought was a slap in the face

3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    This is the simplicity I'm talking about. Steelers fans generally have no clue how a defense is run.

The Steelers ran predominantly a Dime package with a nickle look on passing downs. A safety (most notably Morgan Burnett near the end of the season) would essentially be playing the linebacker position. HIS primary responsibility (not the linebacker) was either the slot WR or the TE. Just go back and review some film.

Due to various zone and man blitz packages, the QB would find a mismatch of a LB on a WR. You people make it sound like Tomlin (which actually would be BUTLER anyways << sad I have to point that out) was routinely putting a linebacker out to play man to man coverage with a wide receiver. << Not the case..

While the Steelers may have been caught in that position at times due to package subs, to suggest that it was intentional gameplan is asinine.

It should be no surprise to anyone that in the NFL head coaches are looking for MISMATCHES (it works both ways). If you put all defensive backs on the field, what are they going to do?

RUN.. Which is what teams started doing with success.

I disagree regarding his time management. As for challenges, he should do what everyone else does and wait to throw the flag until he has been consulted. Lost challenges are not the cause of the Steelers problems.

Mostly as pointed out it has been EXECUTION of the gameplan. INTs, Fumbles, Penalties, Poor special team play, etc.

And it should be obvious to everyone. Tomlin didn't tell Shuster to fumble at the end of the game. He didn't tell Ben to throw red zone picks.

etc etc

• Like Like x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  5. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe I'm simplistic but you don't see other teams' zone and man packages getting caught in that position, yet we have for YEARS. I think we should run a defense that isn't vulnerable in that way. But maybe you're right we should keep running a defense that's subject to that weakness because the zone blitz unleashes Bud Dupree to wreak havoc! watch out!

6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Not my problem

7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Nope not the 70 mil but the amount guaranteed was the problem

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I wouldn't give him a lot of guarenteed money either..All his injuries, one toke away, attitude, lack of speed.....

WHY...Would you give a player like him a lot of GUARENTEED money!

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    The op said in one of his point the steelers refused to sign him to an overvalued contract......I said they offered 70. They did offer him an overvalued contract

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Jury is still out on Bells performance after he gets guaranteed money. Sometimes it is a good investment, sometimes not. Steelers played their cards right imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017

Ill believe this when i see it

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Keenan Allen caught 9 passes against our LBs and there have been other occasions where that hurt us. Butler loves cover 3 even though we don't play it well. And who is Butler's boss, a man supposedly hired for his work as a DB coach? Both need to be fired.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This is the post of the year so far.

14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I think AB could have Wednesday off if he wanted as well, with him getting up there and having a few dings on him.

That may be his point though. That when you're trying to win, don't be taking a day off and sitting on the sideline criticizing the guys out there working. (Not that I agree with him though) Ben has been off to start some of these games and takes a bit to get his timing down though...

Some guys really do need the extra day.

15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, i's quite evident that he doesn't have that extra speed factor to take it to the house. We saw what Conner did with his chances at big holes and Samuels as well!

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah if it was 12:01am. New Year's Day. I posted 4 articles and there are more explaining the flaws in his scheme. It's been discussed by announcers during games as well. Just one example is vs Oakland the first play of the game they had Fort split out wide trying to cover Cook a athletic TE and probably Oaklands best weapon. How about Bostic on Allen? I think we've been through that enough. Butler himself said they assumed it was a run and they ended up caught in a mismatch. They made excuses that they didn't have the personnel ( Burnett and Sutton) when they were caught in such mismatches only to do the same thing when both were available.

It's called taking away a teams strengths. Putting them in a position to succeed. The communication and scheme issues have been well discussed. It has also been well covered that Tomlin has taken over a bigger role in playcalling as well and has even admitted to it himself. So i don't get the notion that our way of thinking is simplistic and asinine. There's a couple of guys over at Steelers Depot that do a helluva better job than i ever could explaining his flaws and positives as well. Anyone with doubts take a look.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  17. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Yeah, but haven't you heard? Beating your head against the wall, expecting it to fall down, is the expected norm for coaches around here.

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I've tried it. Trust me it doesn't work....

19. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Butler has.