1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

14 Free Agents

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chainmover1, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    14 free agents

Jesse James and Cory Sensabaugh, Ramon Foster and Bell

The other unrestricted free agents are linebacker L.J. Fort, punter Jordan Berry, defensive linemen Tyson Alualu, Daniel McCullers and L.T. Walton, linebacker Anthony Chickillo, wide receivers Justin Hunter and Darrius Heyward-Bey, safety Nat Berhe and running back Stevan Ridley.

https://triblive.com/sports/steeler...14-steelers-entering-unrestricted-free-agency

I'd Keep

Alualu, Walton[both quality DL depth] Fort [showed improvement]

Not interested in: Bell[gone no choice]

Hunter, Chickillo, Ridley, Berry,

Would prefer to upgrade via draft or FA

McCullers, James, Foster, Sensabaugh[probably no choice but to keep]

ST

DHB[1 more year + shortage of WR's help] Behre [oft injured I?DK]

To me there are no absolute must keeps on the list. Many positions can be upgraded. Maybe
    this is just another of the glaring weaknesses of this new regime.[lack of continuous upgrading]

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Disagree on Alualu. He has regressed. L.T. Walton doubly so. I would acquire FA's for both if possible. Can never have enough defensive lineman. Assuming Bud does not agree to something less than $7 million a year at worst, Chickillo stays. Otherwise, keep him on the roster to have him compete with Keion Adams and Ola Adenyi in Training Camp. Jesse I would keep as well. He is reliable and dependable. If he prices himself out, so be it. Berhe is gone as well. Marcus Allen will become better in year two.

Agree on Ridley, Hunter, Berry, McCullers and Foster. Add Marcus Gilbert to that list as well for people being let go. Ramon Foster is gone the same and Marcus Gilbert will likely become a cap casualty. The others need no explanation.

Overall, a lot to work on as you said. Not as bad though as you are indicating. Depth is not good but not bad either.

3. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014

Agree on Jesse. If the price is right. But he did lose his starting job. Frankly I had expected him to
    become something special. It did not happen. Still seems a bit stiff and was never very fast. Anyway someone took Hubbard so a bidding war is not likely.:smiley1:

Heck, maybe there is a Kelce Gronk or Heath type sitting out there.

Chickillo flashed in a few games. Too few. He certainly is a serviceable backup but far from irreplaceable.
    Another player that more was expected from.

Overkill yeah, maybe. But I see you threw Gilbert in there also.

It could be I'm just PO'd that Indie took the Steelers PO spot. They sure
    cleaned house and somehow put together a solid team.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They will probably attempt to keep most if not all. But most on 1 or 2 year contracts and little bonus. You still need a full roster. Then you see what you can get in FA, the draft, and again in FA.

We have this conversation every year. And this is exactly what happens. As it should.

5. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Thomas should have got a spot this year over Chik or Mata. Now going to lose Thomas and Chik. What idiots.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'd like to see Jesse James, Fort and Sensabaugh kept.

Speaking of FAs, if AB84 is gone I think WR John Brown will be a FA from the ratbirds. He'd be a nice add to the WR room imo. He's not getting much with Jackson at QB and is probably looking to jump ship.