1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Junebug, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Obviously.

• Like Like x 1
  2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Not really. It's just why I'm right.

4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    If buying into Ben's bullsh!t is what you consider being right, than that you are!

• Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Trust me on this one... just don't. Save yourself from the agonizing pain.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think Ben would literally have to throw someone under a bus to get criticism for it from some people.Just because you point a finger at yourself doesn't give you the right to point it at someone else. Especially in the media. Doesn't this team give them enough ammo?
    You know what groutbrook your a real blankety blank,but I am too. So we're cool right? Nah man that's not how that works at all.
    The finger pointing needs to stop and even some of the players are coming out and saying its a problem. Go check out JJs comments where he called us the Kardashians. Paraphrasing he said there are things that don't need to be said and when asked if his QB is included in that he laughed and said he wasn't gonna point out each individual and incident. So still a unjustified criticism of Ben? Us fans don't know ? Maybe but according to what JJ is saying I think some of us a have apretty good pulse on how finger pointing divides people even when you (passively aggressively ) do it to yourself.
    There are stories coming out about why JP was fired. They are claiming that he was pitting the O vs D.
    Sounds like a detrimental blame game going on inside the locker room. Again finger pointing..... bad. Constructive criticism among teammates in private.....good.
    I'm not the one turning this into a imaginary problem that is hurting the chemistry with the team. Just go ask the players.

Ben is great at a lot of things but being a leader isn't one of them and his criticizing of teammates and coaches in public isn't a good form of motivation. I knew at the time that if Washington showed any positive signs everyone would be claiming it was all because of Ben. Disregard the fact that guys usually progress regardless as the season goes on and totally dismiss the fact that they started giving him more high percentage opportunities such as hooks and slants and crosses like I suggested back then. :thumbs_up: Ben threw him some nice passes and Washington did what he was supposed to do ....catch the ball. I have my doubts that much or any of that had to do with leaving tire tracks on his teammates backs ;)

PS : Washington had 8 catches in 5 or 6 games since the accident. Let's not get carried away that they both did their jobs.....

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    In 4 games after Ben offered some constructive criticism, in which he first laid down some pillows for Washington, he had 8 catches for 140 yards. In 12 games before that, he had 8 catches for 77 yards. In the NE and Cincy game he had 65 yards and 64 yards, nearly totaling his 77 yards in a single game. So yeah, big difference.

But keep bashing Ben instead of giving him credit for knowing his teammate better than you :thumbs_up:

By the way, didn't Ben criticize AB in private? Yet you still got on him for that. Hmmm, interesting, seems like a no win scenario for Ben.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    :confused1:

Whether or not Ben is a great leader will always be up for discussion. That in itself will not find any sort or form of correct answer. Here is something that can constitute as a fact;

Losing the ball 23 times, seven to fumbles and 16 to interceptions, does not make it any easier for the team. That is inexcusable For that matter, having such a high turnover rate only complicates and magnifies the likelihood of that Quaterbacks team of defeat exponentially.

While this thread is to discuss/debate as to whether or not Ben accepts blame or not, what should be a greater point of emphasis regarding Ben is his lack of decision making skills this season. For that matter, discussing why Ben elected to pass the ball so much this season as opposed to opt for balance; the very same aspect Ben himself discussed in the Offseason leading up to the 2018 Regular Season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I for one just hope Ben can outlast Tomlin and get another ring.

• Like Like x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't go there or they will find a way to defend that too.....but,but he threw for 5,000 yards.

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Those numbers are skewed by 2 catches that totaled almost 80 yards. One if you remember was a fantastic catch by Washington up the sideline where he basically outmuscled the DB for the ball. You know something that is known as one of his strengths and something he is well known for in college and one of the reasons they drafted him. He's been doing it his whole life. Way before Ben called him out The second was a out and up where Ben made a accurate throw which hasn't always been the case when targeting Washington and JW did what any receiver is supposed to do. Pay no attention to the fact that they actually were giving him more high percentage routes to get him going as well. Like I suggested they do. Some of those routes help to open up the out and up moves. Without setting them up first the success rate decreases. I do know a little bit about football too.I'm not so sure we should be giving Ben all the credit for two guys doing there job. But if it fits your argument go ahead.

Second his same teammates are the ones coming out and complaining about finger pointing and things being said that don't need to be said. So I guess even his own teammates don't know themselves either. You can ignore that fact as well.

Ben also criticized AB in the media as well. So neither one of us know the impact it may have had either way. The win/win situation for Ben is to keep his finger pointing and criticism out of the media and focus on constructive things like preparation and everything that fits under that umbrella. Calling people out in the media brings nothing but embarrassment and division. If you don't believe me ask Jesse James....
    We will never see eye to eye on this and it's not because Ben can't win in my eyes. I've said it a million times I am a Ben fan and have stuck with him through much worse and always defended him innocent until proven guilty for the things he's accused of in the past. So it's not just misplaced blame I'm looking to,put on him.

The argument is I don't think he's a great leader and I don't think great leaders point fingers in the media no matter how much he points back at himself ,in my eyes it doesn't make it right. I like to speak softly and carry a big stick. Ben can be doing a lot more to help the team besides the hobby of tossing people under the bus. My idea of a great leader is Jeter so I guess I'm just spoiled....agree to disagree.

12. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
  13. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I agree that better Ben ball security would help the team a great deal, and something the OC should work on for next season.

But "inexcusable"? His INT rate (per attempt) in 2018 was better than his career average. He had the same INT rate (per attempt) as Rivers. Only a bit worse than Mahomes. Ben is in the middle third of the league, so not great, but not "inexcusable".

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

It does constitute as inexcusable if you are decreasing your teams chances of winning. 23 turnovers by your Franchise Quarterback, a Hall of Fame one at that, greatly diminishes a majority of the positives within the season. In fact, had the rushing attack been more applied to balance out the air attack, I doubt that the Steelers would have lost games they were supposed to win such as Denver or Oakland.

15. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Adam Schefter

1 hr ·
    Facebook Creator
    ·
    ‪More about the Steelers being expected to restructure Ben Roethlisberger's contract, creating more cap room and giving the team added flexibility for signings and trades....‬

16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He just threw for over 5000 yards. Something like only 7 players ever have done that in the NFL.

He's the undisputed captain/leader of this entire team whether people like that or not.

And he's just restructured his contract which shows he will be playing next year and does not feel the way you think he does.

17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    All of that is overblown by the media and those that choose to be told what to think from those media outlets. IMO.

They are the drama queens that need the drama to keep their job secure. << facts

18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-reached-boiling-point-after-latest-incident/
    via http://cbssportsapp.com

Shocking, Ben's comments are what led to AB's blow up. AB is a lunatic and I have no time for any player that quits on the team, but taking shots at your teammates is never okay .

Of course Washington will say all the right things after because he's a rookie, but veteran players are far less likely to take crap from other players.

Not to mention Ben had more INT's than any QB in the league, so maybe he should shut his mouth and focus on his own game. Attacking your teammates is not being a leader. What do I know though, I only take adult learning and adult motivational classes as part of my career. Ben clearly knows more than the professionals out there

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben has not and cannot restructure his deal. He only has 1 year left . He'll need to sign an extension first, which I'm sure he'll do shortly

20. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Why havent I heard the media say that about Tom Brady, drew brees, Russell Wilson, luck, etc..?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It's not skewered, it's production that wasn't there the first 12 games, no matter how you try ti spin it.

You just blew up your own argument. It was never about skill, Ben was helping him with confidence. Said he needs to trust in himself and if he didn't have any confidence in him, he wouldn't throw the ball to him. How awful of Ben, such harsh comments.

That's patently false. They changed nothing. They used him in plenty of high percentage plays those first 12 games. He wasn't converting those or the low percentage ones.

The only fact about that is they said less finger pointing is needed. You have no idea whom they were speaking about. Given the gentle nature in which Ben dealt with Washington, I doubt that was it. More likely, they and Jesse were referring to the division that Porter was creating.

No, I'm specifically talking about Ben telling AB to run a route again. You do know Ben is the captain of the team right? You guys act like he should never speak. Instead of jumping on AB's behavior, you jumped all over Ben. When you get a bug up your ass about a player, Ben, Bud, you are very biased.

There was no throwing Washington under a bus, Ben simply helped him get passed a confidence problem. The results speak for themselves.

Yes, you do. Thats why I like debating you. :good:

22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    It's probably really good too, in an office environment. Not so much in a locker room. I know it's pretty much useless in my industry although Coast Guard requires their version of "sensitivity" training for licensees. All the facts aren't out yet but, sounds like Ben was "breaking balls" some guys respond well to the challenge, some become butt-hurt Divas.

23. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    He will play because Rooney will show him the MONEY! The Steelers are so screwed up! Regarding Bell they pass on two first round picks and settle for a third round pick ... maybe. The restructure the another egocentric A-Hole as in A-Hole Brown. Only now to lose 20+ million to get rid of him. Now they will shell out millions more for a washed up QB who will get hurt and/or throw 10 more interceptions than TDs.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2017
    It’s a good sign he’s restructuring his contract to help with the AB cap hit. I think he still has 2-3 years in the tank, but I’m an optimist by nature. Maybe a little less Bombs Away offense, and not trying to force it to Diva84 will help his INTs next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You could spin it your way and I'll spin it mine. I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I might not be 100% right and I know you're not 100% right either. JJ laughed when the reporter asked if Ben was part of the finger pointing. That tells you a lot. If you know human nature when someone is asked a tough question that they don't want to answer. You usually get that nervous laugh as a response. He then went on to say that he wasn't gonna single anyone out. That's how a real leader responds. Not by pointing fingers. You are spinning the JJ comments in the way you want as well. Did you read the article?
    Yes Ben is the captain and yes he should speak when he feels the need. Just not to the media. That's not a confidence builder. That's embarrassing.If it was a lack of effort maybe but calling someone out in public doesn't help ones confidence. That's what you said it was right?Like I said we will never agree on him criticizing any of his teammates in the media. You don't have a problem with it and I do. Go back and look at JWs comments he was less than thrilled as well. Do you think it was right to bench Washington for the next game? You put his name out there and then you don't give him the chance to respond? Who knows if Hunter doesn't get hurt Washington doesn't sit out multiple games. That was Ben making that choice. He's the captain and the QB right? Criticize than DNP. Great confidence builder. I'm not the only one saying Ben's comments caused a stir. There were multiple articles written about what he said .

I'm not wrong about his usage at all ....one of the first if not the first passes thrown to him after was a slant. Something they were not using him to do before. They also used him on some crosses and even a few plays in the middle of the field. Another thing they weren't doing. He was basically running nothing but outs,flys and out and ups before that. I remember specifically in the game thread me saying " hey he can run other routes after he caught the slant

As far as the AB/Ben thing there isn't any verified story about what really happened. Ben is denying knowing anything about it and Tomlin saying he was unaware of anything other than a knee problem. Add in the fact that Ben was a DNP ,not one of knows the truth.

You can say confidence problem .JW himself denied that. It's in the stories written after it happened I will say usage problem. I will go by what I saw with my own eyes (higher% chances) and not speculate as to what caused a increase in production . Agree to disagree.

• Disagree Disagree x 1