1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Marvin Lewis as DC?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Jan 2, 2019.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    It's not like he has been out of the league he has been a HC meaning he has seen these changes you speak of. People can say what they want about Lewis but know this, his whole time with the Bungals they have been good on defense. His problem has been the people on the team, I mean his last playoff game he almost beat us with a back up QB. If if weren't for a meltdown by Jones and Butdick they win.

I know another coach in the division that was suppose to be a defensive mind........hows he doing on that side of the ball???????? I'll wait :smiley1:

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I just can't get past the fact that he was in such denial about his players actions. I understand sticking up for them somewhat but he just seemed oblivious to their actions and seemingly unwilling to do anything about it. He's a enabler and we already have one of those.

3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree but is it him or front office/ownership? We really don't know but the fact that he gets problem players to perform impresses me.

4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Nah I've heard him making excuses for their actions right from his own mouth

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Which is my point - as DC, he would have zero say in personnel decisions. MT and Colbert would be responsible for providing the tools necessary for Lewis to do his job - Lewis's primary focus/responsibility would be to strategize and execute a defensive plan every week, not deal with mental cases and thugs. He's a proven commodity as a DC and is clearly an upgrade to Butler.

6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    People are now mentioning Vance Joseph as well. I would be on board for that. Vance is a guy who headed up a fantastic Bronco defense. His success as a DC is much more recent than that of Lewis. I think the players would be excited to play for that guy. Vance seems like an intense guy who holds himself accountable for his team's play. We could use someone like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    A actual butler maybe even a dumbwaiter is a upgrade over Butler.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Exactly. Lewis is a guy who is very much like Tomlin. For years he brushed his team's disfunction aside instead of actually resolving issues. Eventually it caught up with him, and his team went from being a consistent playoff contender to a laughing stock, despite having a pretty talented team. Sound familiar?

9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Lewis is too chummy with tomlin for my taste to be effective as DC.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I will say MT and Lewis both are from defensive side and both are bad head coaches. Don't see how Lewis was a good HC for the Bengals.

He like Tomlin is stale and old news, bring someone in fresh and new. Did you like how Lewis handled his team in the playoff game you mention, when they self destructed ?. Do you want that type of coach on your team. I'll wait now. :smiley1:

11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    and both coaches lacked team discipline. Lewis may be even worse!!!

12. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Lewis = Tomlin Just surprised some here don't see the comparison..

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Lewis is not a good fit for DC, IMO. There's plenty of better options out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think the ultimate solution is to replace Tomlin, but until that happens, I really wouldn't be against trying pretty much anything. What the worst that can happen

15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Best case pipe dream scenario would be Tomlin stepping down as HC and Muchak replacing him. But we all know that will not happen.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I wouldn't be against Munchak replacing Tomlin, but he wouldn't necessarily be my first choice. I'd be looking at OC's around the league as well as within the college ranks. I'd be trying to find another McVay or Nagy. Munchak's entire history has been as an OL or an OL coach. He had an unsuccessful run as a head coach. I just don't know if he's really qualified to be an OC or head coach. I think I'd want to find more of a proven offensive, creative mind. That seems to be the future of the league

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Go look at his record and what he did with a team that was bad, yeah he was a good coach. Lewis has a lot of Andy Reid in him and it is all about he postseason success. To do what Lewis did in a division with how many SB teams in it say a lot, this isn't like he took over a team in a bad division our division was hard.

Yeah I did like how he handled it I am a Steeler fan it helped us, as for how that matters as our DC it don't as wouldn't MT be responsible for that?????

18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    S
    Such as?

19. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I think he actually has a winning record, so I expect he will find a HC job somewhere.

20. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Disagree...I would like to see Munchak...The Head Coach is just an overseer quite frankly...O coordinator runs O, D coordinator runs D..Special teams- Special teams etc...

Munchak is arguably been the BEST at his craft, and has been for a while...That tells me he demands, and receives respect...

Surround yourself with some good, young, innovative minds...Who have some intensity and will demand respect...

Again, Munchak would be there to be the overseer, implement the game plan, call the timeouts, challenges, when to fake punt, go for 2...Such is life...He COULDN'T do any worse, in any of these situations

21. Va_SteelerFan

Va_SteelerFan Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    I wouldn't mind that at all.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Got his pro start here.

23. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Okay let's agree to disagree about Lewis = Tomlin. You think Lewis would be good for us, I don't. I won't wait for a response. lol

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I wasn't interested much until you told me he was the DC for the rats great defensive team. He's obviously qualified. The only thing I worry about with him now is the same concern others have about him being an enabler. But how much impact would that have with him as a coordinator though, IDK. I'd be more comfortable with him as DC if Tomlin wasn't HC.

I wouldn't be against him, would even be pretty excited about it but it does come with some red flags.

I'm sure he's going to be a HC again though, so it's moot.

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Steve Wilks.

Tom Bradley.

Vance Joseph (possibly).

Dream scenario is Kris Richard. That in it of itself, would already constitute the correct move has been made. Much work to do after that though.