1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to players like Jerome Bettis, Hines Ward???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by niterider, Jan 3, 2019.

1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    the story of the 2018 season.....

• Like Like x 1
  2. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    These guys are considered dinosaurs to today’s players,I doubt any of them have an ounce of respect for them and how they carried themselves
    It’s a shame really , but just like every generation says “ back in our day” , blah blah blah
    But this time I feel it carries a lot more weight when comparing the 80s -90s to today

Just look at how fast social media has exploded ,nothing like this has ever happen in such a short period of time.Now everyone wants to be seen and heard , it just started,still in it’s infancy,will only get worse ,a lot worse

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I'd say juju and Conner are our Heinz and Jerome

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Neither of those guys have seen Money yet...

5. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Lol true.. I'd still like to think at least Conner wouldn't let it go to his head.. Juju I'd be worried about being around ab for the last 2 years

6. Beltzhoover Kid

Beltzhoover Kid Active Member

Dec 23, 2018
    They play for the Ravens and John Harbaugh.

7. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Fantasy football happened. Now everyone is thinking about their game stats

8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You dont sound like you will be happy short of Superbowl win. Making the playoffs is sniffing the Superbowl. Consistently making the playoffs is difficult. Some fans are spoiled rotten.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Before we wax too nostalgically about the valiant selfless team oriented super heroes of the past, it might be worth mentioning that 52 guys on the 53 man roster showed up for work last week, practiced, did film study, and didn't pander to the media.

AB is a butt head, but the rest of the guys were team focused or close enough. Despite social media,fantasy football and the big money of today's game, the contagion, it seems is quite limited.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

There have been 52 SBs and the Steelers have 6, more than anyone else. And even at that they don't win 88% of the time. For every other team it's worse. If people aren't happy without an SB win, I hope they enjoy dissapointment, because that's what you'll get almost every year.

11. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Greed,Rap and Pizza Hut..

12. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Maurkice Pouncey is cut from the same cloth as them. He wants what is best for the team. If someone isn’t a team player he calls them out on it. He reminds me of the Steelers throwbacks from back then.

13. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Nope, never said that. I'd like to see a team that has the potential that this one does - actually do something in the playoffs besides embarrassing themselves year after year. But that sounds like you are satisfied with that.

14. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I am satisfied that the organization can consistently field competitive teams, winners, and playoff caliber teams until they can build another Superbowl winner.

Winning the Superbowl is extremely difficult.
    Would you rather the team have 4-12, 7-9, 8-8, 6-10 seasons or 10-6, 11-5, 13-3, 9-7 seasons until they can build a Superbowl winner?

I know which seasons im taking. You?

15. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I pointed that out to people before and they are still stuck on stupid.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  16. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

ewww that sounds sexual lol

17. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    In case you haven't been watching, those records might as well be all 0-16 based on how unprepared this coaching staff is once they reach the playoffs. But I see you are obviously one of those people enamored with MT's stellar regular season record. How did that 13-3 record work out last year? Oh yeah. And the 11-5 one? Ah right. And the 10-6 one. Yep. And let's not forget the best one yet, 9-6-1.

So, let's keep on that 8-year (and counting) Superbowl Winner building strategy. Meanwhile, other LESSER teams are making it to the SB multiple times in that same span. And meanwhile, we'll have run the clock out on our future-HOF QB, one of the best WR's in the business, (at one point) a game-breaking RB, a world-class OL, etc, et al.

18. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    They retired.

But no, seriously, we do need some actual leaders on the team. The veteran big names dont appear to have those leadership qualities.

19. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I am not enamored with any one. I do know that Id rather follow a team that wins and makes the playoffs consistently than a team that is a perennial loser. Plenty of Superbowl caliber teams fall off the map and have losing seasons within a short period of time. Maybe when the Steelers eventually turn into a perennial loser again you will be happy?

As I said it's extremely difficult to win the Supberbowl. Better TEAMs than the Steelers never won Supberbowls. The Steelers may never win another Superbowl in our life time.

20. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    Never said I was unhappy. I said I was disappointed in the way management has taken a clearly talented roster and has done nothing with it. I'm with you, and probably most others here, that I enjoy seeing them win in the regular season. But are you honestly going to sit here and say "I'm ok with them not making the playoffs"? Or "I'm ok with them being 13-3 last year and getting owned by the Jags. Again."? I can keep going on this one...

In that vain, I am ecstatic that MT has a winning record since he's been here. And I loved it when we were 13-3 last season. But I'm not blinded by those regular season anomalies (yep, they are just that considering how we perform in the playoffs) enough to think that there isn't something wrong with coaching/management/ownership when they allow it to happen for 8 straight years.

(And never said it was easy winning the SB, nor getting to it. But when you have the teams that we've had over the past few years and do nothing with them, despite having winning regular season records, it gets old)

21. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Maybe Ben calls ppl out cause he’s the only one holding these players accountable ‍♂️

22. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My take is in order to have a well rounded team you have to have a majority of the players buying into what your selling!!! Yeah most are going to earn their paychecks, but your going to have that select few that are going to slightly step outside the lines, but also know how far they can actually step without repercussions "EGO'S" we all have them. I believe there is a small minority of players who actually like each other on this team and go as far as to hang out away from the team that's called having chemistry!!! Not to long ago you would here about players going to dinner together ala Ben taking his whole Oline out to Dinner or a player buying his teammates watches for Christmas ahh.. yeah you don't hear that kind of stuff from this team and maybe you shouldn't have to but, I can remember Steelers teams of past where you would always hear about players getting together at another players house going over plays having Dinner together not this team seems like a lot of individualism that's a culture that's allow to comes to fruitation from the coaches and management just saying!!!

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :bscow:

24. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Keith Butler was game planning on the radio for Tyler Eifert a guy who has been on IR for months how does the DC keep his job when he doesn’t even know who is on the field?