1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers PLAY DOWN to weaker opponents

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Barry Goughnour, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Barry Goughnour

Barry Goughnour New Member

Dec 5, 2017
    The Steelers PLAY DOWN to opponents with losing records. A win in any ONE of these and they would be in the playoffs - first game with Cleveland - they left the Browns hang around and tie. First game with the Ravens - the Ravens were still floundering with Flacco. They should have easily beaten Denver and Oakland. Gave away the Chargers game in last 5 minutes. And Steelers struggled the last game with the Bengals. Why do they play down to weaker opponents and play great against strong teams? (NE, NO) The only answer is they do not take weak teams seriously. I put this squarely on Tomlin and the coaching staff for not getting the team "up" for EVERY game. There is no way all 53 players could not take an opponent seriously. It has top come from coaching.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Groundbreaking

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  3. Kevin James

Kevin James Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Players have no problem getting motivated for good teams, but it's Tomlin's job to get them motivated for the bad ones and he fails miserable at it. It's nothing new, it has been going on for awhile now, if you're a bettor, you would know to automatically fade the Steelers when they play bad teams and bet on them when they play good teams, it's easy money.

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    What I don't understand is why the Steelers are always favored by 10+ points against bottom feeders? Hasn't Vegas learned anything by now? This "playing down" crap has been going on for 10 years now.... and it's been well documented here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I hope Vegas never smartens up. I've made a lot of money over the years betting against the Steelers when the spread is high

Also made a bunch of money making various bets when they come off a bye. They always start very, very slow coming off a bye.

This team is very inconsistent but actually very predictable.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    A double digit point spread is the kiss of death for the Steelers. It’s like the team keeps track of it and it goes to their head.

7. fansince40s

fansince40s Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I think MT is the main reason this team always plays down to lesser teams. He is just like the players, he doesn't take lesser teams seriously either, example is last year him talking about the New England game when that game was two weeks away. He seems to just shrug his shoulders when he plans or talks about games with teams with bad records. With all the talented players he has it's easy to see how he might feel that way.

8. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    What was the chargers, chiefs, and saints?

9. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Did we play down to them?

10. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Of any coach with a winning record Mike Tomlin is the only one that has multiple loses to sub .500 teams for 9 straight seasons. He owns the worst record of winning coaches when his team is favored by double digits. He is the only winning coach who is under .500 in games against teams with less than 6 wins in a season.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    No, Steelers played well overall vs. Chargers and Saints... turnovers killed them in those games. Chiefs game... Steelers D got torched early and offense took too long to get going... like Jax playoff game the year before.

12. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    Right... was just responding to the "What was Chargers, Chiefs, Saints" in a thread entitled "Steelers Play Down to Weaker Opponents". Doesn't fit the narrative.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    A loss is a loss. Blowouts rarely happen in the NFL even against bad teams.

14. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    Still not seeing how this ties into us playing down to weaker opps. None of those listed are "weaker". Nor did we play down to them.

15. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Yea what's next.. Tomlin is losing control of the team?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    How did we play down to Oakland? Came down to lost drive. The chiefs nearly lost to them in Oakland. How did we play down to Denver? It came down to the last drive. They beat San Diego.

17. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    Oakland was 2-10 = weaker opponent.

Denver was 5-6 = weaker opponent.

Chiefs/Oakland/Denver = divisional opponents. Say what you want, the proof is there that div opps play each other tougher. Especially in the AFCW.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Then why did the OP bring up the ravens or browns. Divisional opponents... and then does that mean the saints played down to us? They had a far better record?

19. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    I'm not the OP, so don't know why. Perhaps lumping that in with the general pattern of underachievement. I wouldn't have, but my point is still valid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So answer this. Did the saints play down to us?

21. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    Not at all. I've already stated that we field a superior product. So when we meet up (in regular season) with tough opponents, we normally play them pretty close. The Saints knew they would have their hands full with us, and they were right. Aside from a couple of coaching goofs and a tragic fumble, we were in it right up to the last second.

Had this been the playoffs, I'm quite convinced the game would have gone in a horrible direction.

But still no one has adequately disputed the OP's point, not that it needs further beating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018

So how come when we are in a game with a worse record than the team we are playing the team didnt play down to us but when a team vs us are in a game with a worse record beats us or makes it close we played down to them. I dont get that double standard.

• Like Like x 1
  23. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    It's not a double standard. Sure, our record was lesser than NO - but in no way were we considered a "lesser opponent".

Oakland? Denver. Yep, they sure were.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    We are in the same place as those 2. At home watching the playoffs. And we at the time were not considered on the saints level. Saints were considered probably the best team in football all year.

25. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    No argument there. And sadly, we should be considered on the same level as the other two - if nothing else than for mismanagement.