1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Antonio Brown Requested to be traded

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelcitian, Jan 1, 2019.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Your right it's definitely the same old mantra but I'm on record saying Tomlin should get one more year to prove his worth. The only logical stop gap replacement I could see is Munchak because he has been here and is well respected. If they were gonna start over I would hope it would be one of these young up and coming X and O guys that can lead us into the future and direction the league is heading.
    The most troubling part of this soap opera of team is that Tomlins strengths are supposed to be players coach and motivator. Those are the two biggest flaws on this team.

2. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    If his seat isn't white hot right now, then something is wrong with ownership. Unless, of course, they are blinded by that stellar regular season record.

(BTW, where has that gotten us lately?)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Home is where the playoffs ain't

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Is Rudolph our next Big Ben? JuJu might end up like Thigpen or Lipps.

5. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    In the AFC championship a couple of years ago?

6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    What's wrong with ownership is that they continue to believe that "stability" is the reason behind all their success. If you look at them and other franchises that have multiple SB championships, it's complete nonsense. Look at Dallas and SF, even NE. They've switched coaches many times throughout their history but each have 5 championships. Although I don't know what is up with JJ now in holding onto Garrett but I digress. Look at the Giants, Packers. The Pittsburgh Penguins, 5 Stanley Cups with revolving door coaches.

The point being that there are more teams that have championships doing the "Non-Steeler" thing. The causation that sticking with a coach for an overly long time will yield championships is a falicy that needs to be exposed as that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    You forgot about the Cheatriots.

8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I did mention NE but there is the cheating angle which is another way to win it lol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Dallas 5 SB, 3 different coaches
    SF 5 (do they have 5?) 2 diff. coaches
    Cheats 5, same coach, guru of cheating
    Steelers 6, 3 different coaches

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Followed the next year by a one and done playoff loss at home, then no playoffs, just going home. Descending.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Should have righted the ship this year but losing Shazier is still hurting.

12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That's true, but they had an entire off season and draft to try to replace him. I guess they did 'try'.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I don’t have that good of a crystal ball

• Like Like x 1
  14. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    I have no problem with "consistency", but when it yields few positive results over a period of time - then it's futile and pointless.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I hope his request is granted. I also hope the Steelers focus on running the ball more and playing defense but that has happened in years. I also hope Tomlin quits but that seens like a pipe dream. So I'm not gonna get my hopes up that anything changes much for next season.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I don’t deny the “brand” thing, (although you could trace that back to Deion in the 90s), but have we really never had these problems? 1977 anyone?

https://www.steelers.com/news/labriola-on-the-no-1-distraction-in-team-history-19690727

Players demanding trades?
    Holding out for more money?
    Public tantrums about being under appreciated?
    Head Coach sued by both other teams players and his own?

Doesn’t make any of this current **** any better, of course, but let’s not get too blurry on our own past.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    I agree no one should be bigger than the team but there is this luggage of Antonio. He's obviously a difference maker. The Steelers should have put their foot down with him a long time ago. Maybe they did and he just doesn't care.
    Do the Steelers cut off their nose despite their face with this guy ?
    Doesn't matter what they do. As long as Tomlin is head coach, this team would fail even if they had Jerry Rice in his prime.

18. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They said on the NFL network last night that he didn't ask to be traded. ( probably taking his words back now that things are cooling down)

19. TXSteelerFan69

TXSteelerFan69 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2017
    I don't care for Tomlin either, but I disagree with the coaching carousel being the answer. All those teams you mentioned, did not win those Super Bowls with big coaching carousels. It is when they had stability that they won them. As you can see by what Roonatic posted, those Super Bowls were won under 3 or less coaches. After Switzer took Jimmy Johnson's team to the Super Bowl, Dallas has been irrelevant because of all the several coaching changes, San Francisco makes the playoffs from time to time, but can't win the SB. Teams like Cleveland, Tampa, Miami, Chargers, Raiders, Lions, etc that change coaches every couple of years have not been winning too much over the last 20 years. Sure they get to the playoffs every so often or one may even win a SB, but after that 1 SB, they are usually done for the next 20 years. I believe stability works, I just do not think Tomlin is the Stability that we need.

20. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    If we miss the postseason next year, in addition to having more drama, I think Tomlin is gone. I honestly think he is nearing the end.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  21. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    Even if we have a winning record?

22. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I enjoyed that article. Since I was only 4 at the time this happened, I don't remember it :) However your point is well taken. I should have said it has been a long time since this has happened.

• Like Like x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This keeps spiraling out of control. At this point, carrying him over means that there is going to be a greater issue with the team. Art Rooney II needs to make a stand.

24. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    i looking for a quieter locker room next year, which means AB is out, the dead cap money 21 million is a problem, but we cld get some draft picks and maybe a rising star at corner or lb, thats is how I am leaning at the moment, a unified quiet locker wld really help this team, JSS, Washington, and Rogers, all talented guys that can help this team win

25. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Yes. The standard is a SB win around here. At least I thought it once did. You can't just look at the record. Not winning at least 12 games with this roster is a failure.