1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rainey

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by weegie87, Aug 16, 2012.

1. weegie87

weegie87 Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yo...Feels good to be geared up for another season!! Just a quick thought on Rainey..Good pedigree..Shows great confidence in his ability...Not afraid to work hard...Oh yeah, at this point, and I say this without my tongue in my cheek...He could possibly be the most dynaimc weapon this offense has seen since the days of Slash...

2. FeelTheSteel

FeelTheSteel Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    I think he WILL be dynamic. I think they plan on using him quite a bit. If you've been out to Latrobe, you've seen them practicing a lot of screen/swing passes to this kid. I think Haley will do all he can to get this kid out in space where he can make plays. He is a Darren Sproles clone (and that's a pretty solid weapon to have in your arsenal).

3. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Rainey is everything I wanted Stefan Logan to be, and Bruce Arians would turn his nose to the sky and say "he'll get broken in half."

I hope Rainey takes a screen 99 yards to the house and Haley flips the bird to Arians across the field Sunday night.

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :lolol: :rawk:

5. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The kid is fast, I like it!

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i hope we don't overuse him in this offense in the preseason. i also hope we don't design an offense around him to some extent and he get hurt. we don't have a rainey 2 in waiting. :cool:

7. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He could be very valuable in his role.
    Dangerous in the return game (2-6) touches and the Offense (6-10) touches per say leaves (8-16) plays to make an impact in the game and keep him on his cleats.
    I like him alot..

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

that doesn't sound bad 58. :cool:

9. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Very impressive in his debut...
    I can see why people were so excited about him.
    And I have a feeling Haley is drooling about having him to use underneath, along with Heath, in the middle of the field.
    Who ya gonna cover, those two, Cotchery, or our "deep threats"?
    I have a feeling Haley will manage to use all of them, to keep defenses off-balance this year...(Not to mention our running game)
    About time!
    This could be a VERY good year, offensively!
    From what I have been reading, Rainey also understands his blocking assignments, which should earn him time on the field...
    Is it September 9th yet?!?!?!

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He has to be used in spots, we cannot over due it with this young talent.
    His body will not take the beating. He is really small even against CB's he could
    take a beating let alone a 250LB drilling him.I would be very careful on his usage.

11. FeelTheSteel

Jun 7, 2012
    Worried about getting him beat up? I hardly think they're gonna be running him between the tackles.

He's a third-down back. And a change-of-pace guy who you can motion out of the backfield and throw screens to. Haley will do whatever he can to get this kid the ball in space. FWP was fast but this kid looks fast and, more importantly, quick. I'm excited to see him get some touches.

12. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think it's safe to say he's not as fast as FWP but he's a whole lot quicker. Even if it starts with just 2 or 3 touches per game, plus returns, I'll be happy. It'll be better than nothing. And based on what I've seen and heard so far, him turning into a Darren Sproles caliber player doesn't seem so out of reach.

13. weegie87

weegie87 Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Just imagine with hie ability to elude, or slip a tackle on a 3rd and 4 situation...His primary job could simply be to extend drives, and when opportunity arrises.....TAKE IT TO DA HOUUUSSSSEEE!!!!

14. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    todays forecast

RAINEY

15. Jaxsteeler

Jaxsteeler Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Watched him play for the Gators alot. We have never had a guy quite like this before and was glad we picked him up. I hate the Gators but if he can come close to being as dynamic as he was in college this guy will help us win games

16. FeelTheSteel

Jun 7, 2012
    Nice.

17. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    love this! I'll be using it, thanks! (or sorry)...

18. FeelTheSteel

Jun 7, 2012
    That'd be a nice addition to the Heinz signage. Loved all the old signs at Three Rivers (Quiver and Quake, Barrelin Barry, The Chin Will Win, Lambert's Lunatics, Franco's Army, Gerela's Gorillas, Off the Mark Malone . . .).

19. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    use it.
    steal it.
    i did.
    can't take credit for it ,
    just happened to see it at "the swamp"
    i liked the pick from the get go
    not a gator fan :D

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    sorry, i had to fix that for ya. :) :cool:

21. FeelTheSteel

Jun 7, 2012
    you were saying . . . ?

22. ND_Steel

ND_Steel Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't see what everyone is seeing here. He seems a little quick but not blazing. Can catch short passes when he is largely stopped, but doesn't look comfortable flanked out or running routes. He doesn't seem to be overly shifty or able to make people miss.

Likewise, Batch hasn't looked all that good.

Though I don't see many holes opened by the line.

Here's to hoping Mendy and Starks get back soon.

23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think his speed comes across on the screen like Parkers' did. Some guys just don't look like they're motoring when they are.

I'll take it from all the players on the team that say he's as fast or faster than MW.

He looks like he'll get the screen game going good. He made a nice recovery on one in this game. (saved A loss of yardage)

24. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He doesn't look like he has blazing speed because he doesn't. He ran a 4.45 40 at the combine, which was good enough for the 2nd fastest time of all RBs (tied) and probably puts him a hair below guys like Emmanuel Sanders. He's not as fast as Mike Wallace, numbers or no numbers. But then, receivers are generally faster than running backs. What's worth looking at is the fact that Rainey absolutely blew away the combine competition on all of the agility drills, and was the top performer at all three of them, by a considerable margin. He ran a 6.50 on the 3 cone drill (best by 3 tenths), a 3.93 on the 20 yard shuttle (best by 1 tenth), and an 11.06 on the 60 yard shuttle (best by 2.5 tenths). Everyone else was close to each other, but not that close to him.

Actually, now that I look closer, he was not only the best at those drills this year, but every year going back to 2006 (as far as the records on NFL.com go) and probably beyond.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-perf...011-2012&workout=THREE_CONE_DRILL&position=RB Click the years to add/subtract classes, and the workout to change drills

25. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Am I the only one who holds his breath everytime he gets the ball? Especially after that first hit he took? :hmmm: Man, was I ever happy to see him back after going into the locker room.