1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The state of the Pittsburgh Steelers...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Xcursion88, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Everyone has a gripe about Tomlin...yours truly included...everyone has the answers and all that can be debated to the end of time.

There is one fact that can't be debated.

The environment around the team has become stale. Every year underachieving laced with the same mistakes.

The win against the Patriots seemed almost easy.

Other games this year that should have been easy wins yet lost.

The powers that be have to see what is going on.

I want to believe the Rooney's goal is to still win championships.

Something has to give......

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Need some locker room leaders. Someone that strikes fear in teammates, another Mean Joe type.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    This team reminds me of an 8 year college student that is working at McDonalds.
    Has all the know how to be at the top but lacks common sense.
    Bout tired of being one turnover away from victory.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    All this time I thought it was Pennsylvania...............:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  5. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Awesome, another Tomlin thread

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The world has changed. Kids that age now are mostly a me first group,

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Shhhh you will wake up the ones who are satisfied with the results, the ones who will throw all the franchises that have struggles in the faces of those who would like to see change. Change is scary, but it needs to happen.

When Tomlin was hired he brought energy.That ship has sailed. His lack of being an X and O coach has caught up to him. A motivator? That ship has sailed. The ship has been is taking on water for years, the defense is a shell of years past. Clock management :eek: In game and halftime adjustments :eek: Playing down to lesser competition. I liked when Tomlin was hired, young coach that could grow, but like any relationship sometimes the flame has dimmed and it's time to move on.

But some "Take Comfort" in not having losing seasons. Personally I want to see playoff runs and getting to the Super Bowl. Spoiled, no. Just I have higher expectations especially with a franchise QB that will fade into retirement in a few years.

But the Standard is the Standard. I guess that means just not another losing season...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I was really relying on someone working for the Rooneys to figure this out since their being paid fairly well to do so. Aren't they? Could be the mediocre plague is spreading in the offices up there or maybe we'll see something after this debacle of a season ends. RIght now, I am hoping the extremely faint heartbeat that is the Pittsburgh Steelers somehow moves on to another week. Go Steelers / Go Browns temporarily.

9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The state of the Pittsburgh Steelers = not good

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Never having a losing season but always playing bad in the playoffs is a recipe for disaster in the long run. Especially if the team is so adverse to trading up in the first round to get that stud player you’re missing to put you over the top. They failed to replace Shazier (should have traded up for LVE) and the defense suffered greatly.

The team lacks players who are true leaders. As much as I want him to be one, Ben is not that player. I think he’s the reason the team panicked and picked a QB, WR, RB combo this past year. All of his retirement talk, knowing Bell was gonna flake out again, and who knows what AB does when Ben is gone. So they took a shot at replacing the 3 just in case and are now paying the price with a poor defense.

Sometimes a change just needs to happen. Nothing wrong with that. It is what it is. But the longer you wait, the worse things will be.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Xcursion88

Dec 10, 2018
    Good point. Darius Leonard or LVE....either one you could say would have changed the outcome of at least one game this year.

Think about that. Even with MT shortcomings we'd be sitting in the playoff already clinched playing this week for seeding.

Just one game, One defensive player in the middle.

I was pissed they didnt take a chance on Jaylon Smith two years ago.

Oh well. The defense that was once ferocious is Swiss cheese

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    We've gotten soft. Nobody fears us anymore. I remember the Steelers teams from the '70's. A LOT of those guys had "attitudes". Wish we had them back. Jack Lambert played with a serious "attitude". Those Steeler teams had a reputation as MEAN SOB's. Football was WAR back then. I know it's a different era, but the Steelers need some "kick ass" players again.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    The "Ravens today".

14. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    The Rooney's goal is obviously not to win championships.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Now hold on I get what your saying but not many here wanted Leonard and almost nobody wanted him in the first. How do I know well I was one of the Leonard supporters and was willing to take him in the first, yes over LVE. I was not a LVE fan I didn't think he would be good in the NFL and I sure the hell was wrong. I am not gonna do it but go back in the draft threads from last year and you will see this, many here loved LVE.

It is easy to say we should have picked this guy or that guy now after the fact. There is always someone who is right and someone who is wrong. As far as Smith goes no thanks cause when he was drafted many thought he might never play again and that is not what we needed at that point. Also let's not forget the days of a ferocious D are long gone and that is all the doing of the NFL. We have to forget the defense of the 70's and 90's cause the NFL will never allow that kind of play again.

16. Xcursion88

Dec 10, 2018
    Yes and no. You STILL can have a ferocious D. If all the key pieces are in place it really can be a factor. It's harder to doubt as the rules have promoted offense. Moreover this isn't college with the RPOs and wide hash marks. The field although by measurement is the same is smaller in the NFL. That's a figure of speech of course but it's one of the reasons why a full blown spread RPO attack will never work in the NFL. Too fast, too good.

It is easier drafting in hindsight. We can go through a list a mile long of that starting with skipping Dan Marino IN the early 80's.

Be that as it may the drafting of defense has been bad to really bad. Shazier was OK but even he wasn't the all around inside backer to lock things down.

Add in bad coaching of D and here we are.

17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    But...but you are too spoiled! Be thankful that you can watch your team make an early exit from the playoffs almost every year! :hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Sad to say but they definitely know how to field a good defense better than we do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Maybe just Art II. I mean the season ticket wait is forever, they are passed down through the generations, so their is constant revenue. And the money they get from the TV packages is large and getting larger. Merchandise. The Steelers are a popular team nationwide.

We will see this offseason what Art II thinks about the state of the team and what changes need to be made. I don't expect much.

20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Agree with you. I think they are bought up that way nowadays. Most parents fawn over their offspring.

21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Your right it still can be ferocious but I think it needs the right leader and the combo of Butler and Tomlin are not it. This is where my problem lies, I feel the scheme we run just don't work. How come we look so good vs the Panthers and the last few games Saints and Pats? Then we look like such crap vs the Raiders and 2nd half Chargers? I feel like when we blitz and play less zone we are pretty good, jmo.

As for drafting bad I disagree, many people want to say we draft bad on D. Well Tuitt, Heyward, Bud, Davis, VW, Watt and Hargrave are all drafted starters. I also want to point out another thing Juju, Conner, Coates, James, Bryant and Bell have been very good draft picks as well. That's going back to 2013 so while you say we draft bad of defense we have 7 starters right now on D that were drafted and that don't include Shazier. Since 2013 who should we not drafted on the offense I mean we have had more success there in the draft. At some point your not gonna hit on every pick, name a team that drafts better than the Steelers, it will be hard to find a team right now who drafts better than us.

Of course we are gonna have the misses like Holba, Golson, Grant, Archer, Richardson and Thomas. My point is not team hits 100%, heck if they hit 50% that is pretty good. With that said our drafting isn't as bad as many think, 2015 & 2016 draft class only 3 players are not still with us Holba, Feeney and Ayers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You could've of posted this crap in any of your other anti Tomlin threads :shrug:.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  23. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They are built to beat the Steelers. They're obsessed with beating the Steelers.

24. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Blasphemy I say....blasphemy. How dare you speak ill of the Mighty Philosophical Tomlin and those who support The Standard is the Standard mentality! :hehehe: Jokes aside...been saying this for years....maybe by the Grace of God the change that needs to happen just happens! You are spot on IMHO.

25. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Can't believe the recent Butler revelation. Just shows how out of touch with their job descriptions the Steelers' coaches are. No excuse to retain Butler. Either MT or Rooney covered for his ineptitude. This is a SERIOUS flaw and needs to be corrected before any legitimate Steeler championship discussion can take place.