1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm not buying it

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Dec 25, 2018.

1. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Let me see here, we even got the ex head of ref's, the announcers, and most of the country sports authorities says it wasn't PI or a push-off but just a hand check and we still got people here saying it was a PI. I know what I saw over and over on replays, it was one of the worst PI calls this year. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    The real issue is it really is all up to interpretation. The ref can simply say in his view and opinion it impeaded the WRs ability to make a play on the ball . That’s that , end of decussion. The ref goes on about his business with no reprocution,and that’s the real issue . It won’t change until , well , it simply won’t , it can’t because it’s a judgement call made by humans

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It was a horrendous call and whoever doesn't want to admit that for some reason just doesn't want to see it as such.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    They should change the rules, allowing the coach to throw a red flag and challenge specific officials and fine them accordingly. A call like that against Haden in the EZ would be a retraction of the penalty and ejection of the dope who threw the yellow flag!

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I wouldn't mind a review option and if they won't do that the penalty needs to be changed to 15 yards or maybe a half the distance penalty might make the most sense. So a spot foul 15 yards or less and half the distance for over 15 yards would make the most sense. You can't be having 40-50 yard judgement calls determining outcomes of games.

6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I thought they were going to do just that this season. I even remarked that Flacco wouldn't be able to do anything without the "throw it up and wait for a flag" method of moving the ball!

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I believe it was discussed but shot down...how else are you gonna steer games?

8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    as others have pointed out in the media referees should not be part time.. They should be paid a tidy sum to officiate properly and be held accountable and sanctioned if they are not doing a good job.

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    true

10. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Tomlin's already come out against making PI reviewable, and he's on the committee, so you know which way this is headed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Tomlin is part of the competition committee and he does not think PI calls should be reviewable. So probably not much is going to happen.

12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    OH WOW. We literally posted the same thing at the same time.. Vodoo

• Like Like x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Although it seems to ole blatant false start, defense relax technique is gaining in popularity

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Actually I'm just as much in favor of the other idea of 15 yd or half the distance

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe that's why we keep all our games competitive no matter the competition :smiley1:. A blowout would be a conflict of interest...

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

So he goes on his gut feelings when he makes decisions there too:facepalm:

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Sucks when you are on the receiving end of a bad PI call but I'm glad the rule change was shot down. Otherwise you'll be having DB's mug WR's when they are clearly beat. You just know the Steelers will lose a game because a DB tackled AB at the 5 for an easy 50 yard TD which they than fail to score because the were only afforded 15 yards.

Vodoo must be how you Canadians practice it. Maybe thats why when you twisted your Leveon Bell vodoo dolls ankle, you sprained Conners instead. Thanks Bus!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I understand your concerns as far as that goes. I watch a lot of college football and the rule has been in place for years without it becoming a factor. I know your probably gonna say that the players are better in the NFL and guys would be taking advantage of the rule but the talent comparison is relative and like I said it's a non factor. You just dont see guys getting tackled when beaten.
    Something needs to change. A personal foul cheap shot is only 15 yards yet a judgemental many times controversial and debatable call can be 50 yards? That doesn't make sense. Make it reviewable or half the distance on anything over 15 yards. Most of the time if a guys beat he's beat and doesn't have the opportunity to simply grab the receiver.
    I know there are certainly two camps on this. Some for and some against. At the minimum it has to be able to be challenged and reviewable. We never seem to be on the positive side of these calls. I'm willing to take the chance it doesn't come back to bite us....There really isn't a good argument against a review besides making the game a little longer. It's more important to get it right.

19. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Two (and a half) comments:

1) I've always thought spot of the foul was too much... 15 yds or half the distance except for egregious ones. This last bit is the rub... You need to keep players who are obciobvob burned from taking the penalty as the lesser of two evils bit this starys to get really subjective.

2) what could we have seen on replay that would be sufficiently inconclusive? Maybe the standard rule needs to change for IR on PI? If there is a challenge they have to rule that (a) the ball was catchable and (b) that the defender kept the receiver from making a clean play on the ball (gotta work the int attempt in there) point is it's gonna be hard to come up with clear objective observable guidelines.

20. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I burned both ibciobvobs once when I fell asleep at a nude beach. Hurt like hell.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    The Steelers were not only screwed in the NO game but the Colt Giant
    game as well. Someone had posted that if the G-men beat the Colts and
    the Colts beat the Titans this week --we win and get either the div or
    the wild card.[true]

The score was 24-14 Giants Indy driving. Strip sack
    fumble recovered NYG. You had to see it to believe it.

The D lineman got up ran a few steps stumbled fell it must have took a minute finally
    the play ended. G-men Offense getting ready to come on the field. A guy
    comes running out of the end zone waving a flag. They go to a commercial.
    When it comes back they show two guys running toward the EZ 10 yards apart.
    WTF what is going on. Then they find some Colt running thru the middle
    of the line brushing someone and that is the penalty def holding.
    What a joke. Indy made it 24-21 a few plays later.

I turned it off then took another look and the Giants were in the redzone.
    OOPS holding. They actually survived that call and had 2nd and goal at
    the 7 but settled for a FG. 27-21. I now turned it off for sure knowing
    what was going to happen. And it did 28-27. But even that took some doing.
    I found out later that even the final drive required work.

3-3-NYG 46 (3:11) (No Huddle, Shotgun) A.Luck pass incomplete short middle to D.Inman.
    PENALTY on NYG-T.Davis, Defensive Pass Interference, 2 yards, enforced at NYG 46 - No Play

later

1-8-NYG 8 (1:03) (No Huddle, Shotgun) A.Luck pass incomplete short right to D.Inman.
    PENALTY on NYG-B.Webb, Defensive Pass Interference, 7 yards, enforced at NYG 8 - No Play. X26
    1-1-NYG 1 :)59) (Shotgun) A.Luck pass short left to C.Rogers for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN. P27
    A.Vinatieri extra point is GOOD, Center-L.Rhodes, Holder-R.Sanchez.
    NYG 27 IND 28, 8 plays, 53 yards, 2 penalties, 2:48 drive, 14:05 elapsed

BYW: I of course agree with all of the above posts. Plus someone did say whatever happened
    to an uncatchable ball. Not even a Marvel comics superhero could have caught that ball.

Also, When did it become legal to tackle someone 5 yds OB? They must have shown the AB catch
    50 times desperately looking for something, anything to overturn it. But did not
    notice the tackle. Something is wrong here!

One more thing. This was not the same crew as the Chargers. That was Bill Vinovich. This was Craig Wolstad.

22. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    mcam said:

"Either the ref had money on New Orleans or one of the Steelers players are messing with his wife."

---funny you would mention that. I have had Greg Lloyd on my mind lately. [Do you recall the Keenan McCardell incident]

"I'm not all butthurt over the loss because this league has become complete BS. Hard to take it seriously anymore."

---Yeah, that's just about it.

"The Saints game was scripted. The Steelers were going to lose it. The penalties called makes this obvious."

---I posted earlier that the Giants -Indy game was just as damaging as the Saints game. No repsonse. Just another PO'd fan ranting. Well here are a few of the milder comments from a NYGiant board which seem to corroborate my view of the game. [And the point of this excellent thread]

Refs let em play for 50 mins
    Paulie Walnuts : 12/23/2018 4:43 pm : link
    Then decided to get tickey, tacky to give the game to indy.... nobody beat the spread... I bought a new Fleetwood..

You could probably call either holding or pass interference
    blink667 : 12/23/2018 4:57 pm : link
    ... on every play, and that’s left to the discretion of the officials. But when the refs decide to call it on one team in the critical minutes of a game, that’s called unduly influencing the outcome.

The defense lost this game.
    No question, but without a couple of questionable calls, defense is off the field.

They got a nice assist from the refs. A lot of fans like to whine about bad calls, and I try not to be one of them, but damn it certainly seemed like the refs had money on Indy at some points. Still, a halfway decent D coulda shoulda woulda won that game.

sorry
    Paulie Walnuts : 12/23/2018 4:18 pm : link
    but the NFL is fixed.. the Refs shaded that game to Indy
    those tacky defensive plays were not called all day

Refs also miseed a facemask on eli earlier

you could see it when eli buckled up on the 2nd to last drive by the look in his eyes, he was supposed to lose it

---I suppose now I will root for TEN in that game. Since Indy can no longer help the Steelers screw them.

Well I guess that leaves the Browns as a last option. Tough pill to swallow, but WTH!

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They are moving in that direction. 24 of 121 are full time. Average salary next year will be $201,000

• Like Like x 1