1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will the Rooney's ever grow tired of this?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Xcursion88, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Seriously...

“We made the bed, we’ll lay in it," Tomlin said after Sunday's loss. "I'll expect us to lay very well in it and perform. We’ll control what it is we control, and that’s our preparation and play next week. All other things out of our control, we won’t worry much about. Like everyone else, we’ve had 15 opportunities to this point to state a case for ourselves. We won’t lament about our positioning. We’ll just simply control the things that are in front of us, and that’s our preparation and our play.”

When will the Rooney's ever become tone deaf to this horse****.

Results are still the ultimate goal in the NFL...or so I'd think.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Will they ever grow tired of not being a bottom dweller, no

• Like Like x 3
  3. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Haven’t yet

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    12 years, no losing seasons (yet) hardly describes a bottom dweller. Tomlin's teams have been above average to really good through the years. Hate hin all you want but, the W/L column is what matters.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Just a shame all this talent is being shelved year in and year out too early
    Gets old after 10 years of the same ol same ol

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    That's sexy talk right there...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Tomlin’s contract runs through 2020 and is vested for 2019 I believe. He will be here next year and probably the year after. Then?

8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I think Ben has one more year too. Should he hang it up after 2019 season Tomlin might realize he no longer has a top of the line QB and gets out of town.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    My favorite Aunt used to say that all the time. She preferred sleep in it. But her favorite was

Time to [crap] or get off the pot. [in real English]

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We wasted AB's best years by underperforming.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I find this quote quite more interesting....

“It’s preparation, it’s detail, it’s play, it’s planning, it’s schematics, it’s coaching”, Tomlin said in listing the reasons that they have been failing to execute at the close of games recently that would have allowed them to win. “It’s all of those things. And all of those things are very tangible. We’re falling short for a variety and a myriad of reasons. But it’s all within that discussion”

Instead of the usual "we made too many mistakes" and "didn't make enough plays"to win and "such is life"
    He seems to be finally starting to acknowledge all of the other issues. The blame is usually focused on what the players couldn't accomplish. I find it odd that on the cusp of possibly missing the playoffs he is starting to admit to these other things are a factor and it's not just execution. Sounds like trying to get ahead of something to me and some damage control if we do find ourselves on the outside looking in...

Seems to me that maybe it wasn't "popcorn" all along and that there are tangible issues as to why our effort and our results don't always meet the requirements of winning football.
    Maybe I'm reading too much into it and maybe simply the popcorn machine is out of service....

12. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    The Rooney's have grown tired and weary, i feel they will let the empire play out without making any sort of major changes . The dynasty has become but a fond memory to them that have plowed strong and straight within their plantation. Hail to the Rooneys!!

13. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I have said it before and I will say it again. Tomlin will be fired about three years after Ben retires and a few 4-12 seasons.

14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You misunderstood his post

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Pretty sure a Monkey could coach a stacked team like this to the postseason. Not having a losing season with a stacked roster shouldn't be considered a success. No. Instead, success should be based on getting to and winning SB's. Last I checked, we are 8 years running without appearing in one. That's simply inexcusable. This team consistently plays down to inferior opponents. They are always in penalty trouble. The in game scheming is bad too.

In the end, I think Tomlin returns in 2019. But the people running this franchise have never fired a head coach. Maybe they don't know how to go about doing it. Who knows.

• Like Like x 1
  16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Then, we're the best! If that's your only criteria, the Pats are barely above average and not the "greatest" that people make them out to be. If that's your yardstick, then Tomlin is better than most coaches and Cowher's equal. This team has lots of problems but, that shouldn't negate Tomlin's success over the last 12 years.

17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I must have missed the "not". Mea Culpa!

• Like Like x 1
  18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Happens

19. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Except we haven’t always had a stacked roster. Tomlin/Colbert had to rebuild the entire team(except qb) and have done so without ever having a losing season. We would probably be better off now if there were a couple losing seasons in a row. Of course then you would be out with pitchforks and torches and foaming at the mouth.

Of course you’ll respond with some drivel about Belichek and Brady. So I will ask a question ahead of time. Is the patriots sustained success an anomaly or the norm?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Xcursion88

Dec 10, 2018
    I will answer that. The pats and Belichick have been in a groove for a long time.

They out work other coaches with the game plan and scheme. They go over fundamentals until the players are sick of it...then do some more.

That's why when you beat the Patriots you really beat them. They give you nothing and never beat themselves.

They are always a bunch of no names playing tremendous fundamentally sound football.

It's the little things that they always get right. They nearly always win games they should and out thenselves IN the best position to succeed.

The Mike Tomlin Steelers are NOTHING like the above mentioned.

Everything is a big cluster fukc.

Clock, fake kicks for or against, turnovers, challenges, special teams in general, a bad secondary,

Tomlin talks the talk alright...he just doesn't walk the walk.

Oh well....he's undefeated in the presser.

• Agree Agree x 6
  21. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Tomlin isn't going anywhere. Noll missed the playoffs 7 years in a row before he retired.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

All of that and you didn’t answer the question.

23. Xcursion88

Dec 10, 2018
    I did answer that. The patriots success is neither an anomaly nor the norm.

They have a really good QB, out work the other team, and a contagious confidence from all the winning. They're in plug and play mode.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    That last part about not lamenting positioning is what bothers me more than anything else he said. Tomlin showed from his first playoff appearance a disturbing lack of caring about seeding and he's paid for it many times including that very first year when he rested his starters for the last game and gave up a 3rd seed for a 4th seed and lost to a team that had already won in Pittsburgh that same year (JAX).

Just out of curiosity, for those that always celebrate Tomlin never having a losing season, would you still be celebrating that if he was consistently 8-8 or 9-7 every year? If changes are not made, this is going to get worse and not only will he have a losing season, he'll probably have many of them going forward. It's no coincidence that Tomlin's best playoff seasons are front-loaded into the first four of his 12 seasons. The trend is slow, but the downward trend is there. Ben is already half into retirement and AB is getting older. We've struck out on so many defensive draft choices too. A period of losing seasons is coming. The real question that needs to be answered is, "do you have faith in enough in Tomlin to get us back out of it?" My answer would be no since I think he is a big reason why the downward trend is starting. Not the only reason, mind, but a big part none-the-less.

• Winner Winner x 3
  25. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, maybe it's a good thing if we miss the playoffs. Maybe then, reality will finally kick in. We fans have been spoiled with a great organization/team and I think the team has been spoiled with winning seasons. Maybe, just maybe, the team need a lesson in ... not taking fortunes for granted

• Agree Agree x 1