1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Times When The Steelers Needed Help To Make The Playoffs

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jimmyallen45, Dec 25, 2018.

1. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Every few years I revisit this thread- unfortunately, because I wish this situation would never happen again.

Since the merger in 1970 when the current playoff format with wild cards came into being, there have been 9 seasons when the Steelers needed a win and help from other team(s) on the final week to make the playoffs. All of us remember a few of them, some remember all of them, (like I do). I did not include the 1976, 1990, 1984, and 2005 seasons when the Steelers controlled their own destiny and had only to win their own game to get in- (which they did 3 of those 4 seasons):

Anyway here's a review-

1977-

An underachieving team beset by holdouts, turnovers, and penalties lost its divisional lead in the next to last week of the season needed a divisional rival to upset another divisional rival (sound familiar?)
    The Steelers needed the Oilers to upset the Bengals in a 100 pm game while they waited to play at San Diego at 4 pm, in a game that was actually meaningless win or lose. The Oilers came through with a big win clinching the AFC Central for the Steelers, who incidentally did beat the Chargers. After the season the Steelers sent attache cases to the Oilers players as a thank you gift.

1980-
    The Steelers needed the Patriots to lose to the Saints on Sunday and then beat the Chargers in San Diego on Monday night. The Patriots rallied to win in the 4th quarter, and the Chargers beat the Steelers on Monday night to clinch their own playoff berth. A very sad night for Steelers fans, as a number of the greats from the 4 SB teams played their last game and ABC ran a clips montage at the end of the game saluting the dynasty years- which was brutally sad to watch, trust me.

1987-
    The Steelers needed to beat the Browns at home on a Saturday game and then hope for Houston and Miami to lose on Sunday. Only the latter occurred, as the Browns ran off the last 7:30 of the game to beat the Steelers 19-13.

1989-
    In the most incredible of circumstances, the Steelers needed to win against TB AND have four other teams lose to make the playoffs- and it happened! The last outcome occurred on Monday night when the Vikings defeated the Bengals.

1993-
    Another team that stumbled late in the season, the Steelers needed to beat Cleveland and have the deadly rival Oilers do them a favor by beating the Jets. Down 9-3 at the half to the Belichek Browns, Greg Lloyd chewed out the team and they won 16-9. Houston shut out the Jets in the late game to give the Steelers a wild card.

2000-

After an 0-3 start the Steelers finished strong and had a shot to make the playoffs on the final weekend. They needed to beat San Diego (a team which inexplicably has been the regular season finale opponent on five different occasions) and have the Colts lose to Minnesota. This seemed doable, as the Vikings were 11-4 and headed for the NFC title game. However, they rested all their stars and got routed, so no playoffs in spite of a win against the Chargers.

2009-
    This was the infamous "release hell" season and a good contender with this year's team for biggest underachievers. A big win over the Ravens gave them a shot on the last week, provided they beat Miami and Baltimore lose to the Raiders. They got their win, but the Ravens won in Oakland so no playoffs.

2013-
    In an ending which on this board is still an ugly memory, the Steelers failed to make the playoffs by a
    missed field goal. Not by their own kicker- but by Ryan Succop of the Chiefs. All sorts of things needed to happen on week 17, including a Steelers win over the Browns- and they all did, heading into the 4 pm game. The playoff bound Chiefs needed to beat the Chargers, who like the Steelers looked dead at 5-7 a few weeks before. Despite benching their stars- the Chiefs had a 10 point lead going into the 4th quarter. The Chargers tied the game but the Chiefs moved into position for a game winning field goal attempt- which Succop missed. The Chargers went on to win in overtime. No playoffs. Oh were we pissed around here!

2015-

After losing a game to the Ravens and Ryan Mallet in week 16, things looked bleak. The Steelers needed to win against the Browns and then hope for a mediocre Bills team to upset the Jets. All week long on here people were giving the Bills, who had nothing to play for, no shot. But they won in the cold at Buffalo, the Steelers beat the Browns, and the team was in.

So, to tally this all up- in 9 seasons, the Steelers got the help 4 times and did not get it 5 times, while winning their own game 7 of 9 times.

So, it's not impossible. Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 11
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Nice write up jimmyallen.

3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    2015- steelers lost to a Ryan Mallet not Brian Hoyer with the ravens.
    Also it was the Bills who needed to beat the Jets, not the dolphins and they did.
    Then we almost went to an AFC championship game but lost to Denver

• Like Like x 1
  4. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    We got help 4 times and didn't get help 5 times so I guess we get help this time to even things out. Thanks for the information,

5. jimmyallen45

Jan 1, 2012
    thanks for the corrections Troy, I'll edit it. Sometimes the past 46 seasons get blurry, and I can remember games from the 1970s more clearly than those a few years ago.

6. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    That may be a good thing in the past 8-10 years or so depending on how you look at it

7. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    So we still have a chance:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Umm, did you say something?

• Like Like x 2
  9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    No problem I think it was all spot on. I really wish we would of lost to Brian hoyer and not Ryan mallet at least that been a little more respectable

10. jimmyallen45

Jan 1, 2012
    well it is easy to get those guys mixed up...

11. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    That Manning play where he gave himself up by going down then popped up and threw a long pass, I'm still cussing the refs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Great read. Thx man.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Danthesteelersman

Danthesteelersman Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Browns are going for their first winning season in 11 years. They will play their hearts out. I have a gut feeling it's going to happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Look around, I don't think any of the "experts" are giving the Browns "little chance" to beat the Ravens. In fact, I've seen at least one pick the Browns to upset them. (Think it was Prisco)

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Knew I could count on you Jimmy for an in depth history. Nice job.