1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So Tomlin is the problem? Who then

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Dec 24, 2018.

1. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Teams can find elite players at any point in the draft. There are a lot of variables involved regarding the draft. All drafts don't have equal amounts of talent. The strengths and weaknesses of the positions in drafts vary from year to year. How other teams draft have an impact on what players are available. The Steelers had some 1st round and later round "steals" over the years. The Steelers do as well as any team in the league. It's one reason why they remain a competitive franchise year in and year out.

When I read comments like, "Especially when a few of those losses every year happens against teams you have not business losing to" I realize that many people still don't understand the NFL. Every team has the talent to beat your team. Upsets happen all the time. If you witness something enough then you would realize that it's the norm for the league. It's not only the Steelers.

I will never advocate having losing seasons. That's just me. I doubt many will be very happy with consecutive losing seasons. I like having a competitive team that wins consistently and makes the playoffs even if the team doesn't win the Supberbowl. It's not easy to win the Superbowl. Fielding competitive teams every year is also a difficult accomplishment. The things that Steelers fans take for granted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's not lazy. I ain't saying talent didnt have a part in it. He wasnt well liked. I know people who work in that organization. He was in over his head. Not saying he would be now but he isnt better than what we have. In my opinion

3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He didnt fail miserably, after taking over from jeff fisher he posted a 9-7 season, dont forget he had jake locker for a QB who was a mistake 1st round draft pick under fisher,their roster needed a rebuild but the management wanted him to fire all 6 of the assistant coaches which he refused to do, he still had a 22-26 record while he was HC, and he could have been the cardinals HC if he wanted that job, but he didnt, he would have turned the titans around if he had another two years as their HC....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I understand what you're saying and I guess it boils down to expectations and patience. I have high expectations and not much patience. I understand that the NFL is tops turvy but I posted a stat a couple weeks ago about road teams in the NFL that were 9+ point favorites in the game. I'm sorry I don't remember the exact numbers but the Steelers had like 5 or more of the 15 losses in the entire league history. So it's not a anomaly for this team ,it's quite the norm and that's a problem.
    Look man anyone can choose to root for their team in any way you want doesn't make anyone wrong but at the same time there is statistical justification for being disappointed in the fact that the Steelers do in fact lose games they have" no business "losing compared to other teams. The numbers don't lie.

If we end up missing the playoffs it will have just as much to do with Tomlin as it does the players. He doesn't get a pass for his part in the 3 or more losses we shouldn't have suffered. He is the HC its part his fault and all of his problem to fix. I say give him one more year because of the way the team is ready to win now. We will have money to spend in FA to fill holes. He needs to get it done next season or he deserves to be fired. Sometimes a new voice and messages and a breath of fresh air is needed. His failures are well documented it's not a illusion.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Yeah with the body and mind of someone 50 so what.

6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Someone who actually will have body and mind of a 50 yr old in 2022: Mike Tomlin.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Last season's first-round pick, T.J. Watt, is a stud. The second-round pick, Juju Smith-Schuster, is a star. The third-round pick, James Conner, earned a spot in the Pro Bowl this season. Colbert has certainly made his share of mistakes, but to say he has been failing for 8-to-10 years is clearly inaccurate.

As I posted elsewhere, there is no one person to blame for the way this team faltered. The failure runs all through the organization. I understand the desire for a scapegoat, but it's just too simplistic. There is enough talent to at least make the playoffs, but there should have been more. That's on the front office for some key mistakes. It's on Tomlin for wasting the talent that is there. It's on the players for the sloppy mistakes. And yes, it is on one piss-poor officiating crew that played a big role in the losses to the Chargers and Saints by failing to do their jobs correctly. It's frustrating, but it is reality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This idea that the team needs to lose and get higher draft picks needs to stop. The Steelers entered this year's draft needing an inside linebacker. Darius Leonard was there when the Steelers picked, but they chose to roll the dice on Edmunds instead. Leonard is probably the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year. Edmunds is a below-average starter who may eventually develop into a good safety. The problem wasn't draft position. It was a bad decision by the Steelers. They could have gotten Leonard in the first round and Edmunds in the second.

9. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah and u should be a rich man if u knew Leonard was gonna be that good

• Like Like x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    John fox was my choice. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I knew he was a better option than Edmunds. I knew the next linebacker on the board, who was Leonard, was better than a safety who most people had as a third-round grade.

12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    To my esteemed friend fanforlife who disagreed with the above. Are you disputing that Mike Tomlin was born in 1972, and that he will be 50 in 2022?

13. spleeny09

spleeny09 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011

Who would have thought McVay in LA would have been the coach he is today? Matt Nagy in Chicago? Frank Reich in Indy? Anthony Lynn in LA? Vrabel in Tenn?

There are plenty of better coaches out there than Mike Tomlin and our front office should be deep into their search for the next great head coach...sadly they aren't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm disputing that he will have the mind of a normal 50 year old. Some of the things he does makes me think his mind right now is not as mature or developed as his age. JMO

15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Screenshot_2018-12-25-18-02-02-1.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    tell you what. come back in 12 years and I bet Tomlins resume is better than all of those.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't buy that, never heard a bad word about Munch and someone would have reported about it. Steelers seem to love him.

Maybe the problem is with the people who didn't like him.

He didn't fire his staff which is why he ultimately was let go.

There's no way to know if he's better than what we have unless he got the chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    He played there 12 years, then immediately went into coaching and was there another 17 years before being named head coach. You’d think 29 years would be long enough to figure out if he was a decent personality match.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm in this camp. Keith Butler made some adjustments late but was slow coming out the gate. Someone's getting fired though.

I personally think it would be a mistake to fire Tomlin with this current team at this time. Maybe starting new when Ben retires, Pouncey, et all moves on is something that could be thought about in the "re-building" process.

I think it'd be a bad idea and there would be a negative outcome for the franchise in firing Tomlin this offseason.

20. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Munchak was 2-1 vs. Steelers has head coach of Titans. Titans lost in '11, but won in '12 and '13. FYI.

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Until this organization can find a head coach that can at least become worthy of being a pimple on Belichick's a** this team will always be dysfunctional, inconsistent and an non-discipline team. Tomlin in his 11 years of "coaching" with Pittsburgh has exhausted given tools, personal and creativity that he inherited from his predecessor. Mike Tomlin does not have efficient coordinating skills to continue his present position in the coaching environment. His journey needs to be discontinued.

Only redemption i see for Tomlin would be meet God on Mt. Sinai and work a deal to have SB LIII carved in stone.

22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I don't know if I'm big on making Munchak HC. But I will note that Mike Sullivan was basically a failure his first time as a HC in the NHL with Boston. You just never know.

23. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Munchak didn't have much to work with in Nashville. IMHO, Munchak would be an upgrade over Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Since our last Super Bowl (2010 ) We have 3 playoff wins...Kaepernick has 4...

Let that sink in...Tomlin apologists

25. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    ... and Kaepernick haters. :eek: