1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Tomlin is the problem

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Dec 24, 2018.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Okay, I'm bored and it's late.

First - he's the HC and the buck starts and stops with him. With a great mix of accomplished vets and promising youngsters there's no excuse for missing the playoffs.

Second- Pete Carroll fired 9 coaches. Rebuilt his staff and now they are surging upwards . Tomlin has mismanaged his coaching staff ....allowed mediocre results and inferior coaching from his position coaches and butler is his greatest failure .

Third - he's lost his last 9 or 10 challenges in a row..... Inexcusable !!!!

Forth--- absolutely no in game adjustments

Fifth -- poor clock management on a regular basis

Sixth --- he cut Landry Jones and started Bostic over Dirty Red!!!

Cajun

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You actually had something resembling a reasonable argument until you went back to your foolish fanboy love for Dirty Red.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    There’s a lot of tomlin posts lol

• Like Like x 2
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    We missed the playoffs?

5. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    For reals lol

6. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Given our luck this whole season what do you think is going to happen? Lol

7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Honestly I think we make the playoffs, kick ass and take names.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I would hope so

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Cutting Landry Jones was a good move. About the only thing Tomlin has done right.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    "no in game adjustments"... Interestingly enough, I have heard commentators state that Belichick was unable to account for Tomlin's adjustments when the Steelers beat the Patriots.

Regarding time: When the Steelers played both the Raiders and the Saints, Tomlin made sure his offense had the ball with enough time to make a comeback drive. In the game against the Raiders, Boz slipped and missed the FG. Against the Saints, JuJu fumbled. But, ok. :rolleyes:

I agree on the challenges. Somebody should be feeding him reliable intel on when to throw that red flag, and when not to. Whoever's doing that now should be replaced.

Regarding the firing of coaches, I've been wondering how much leeway Tomlin has in this area. It seems some of the coordinator choices were pushed on him. For example, it seems he didn't want to get rid of Arians. I'm not sure about the Haley pick. Seems like Butler was his call, though.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Tomlin made it clear in the presser after the Jags game that they made zero adjustments at halftime, so it seems to vary from game to game.
    Regarding time: Tomlin made sure his offense had enough time to make a comeback vs the Raiders? or they got extremely lucky on the lateral play that JuJu was able to take into field goal range, and if they had more of the time Tomlin wasted they may have been able to score a TD (against that putrid defense) instead of sending out a kicker who had been struggling all season, but that was ignored until it was too late.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I can't wait until we have to discuss Mike Tomlin in the General NFL Talk forum.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Dirty red is a joke.
    Arians,DL, Lake,Haley are all coaches that have been let go
    I was a Jones supporter, but the guy is out of work for a reason.
    You no in game adjustments people crack me up. Pretty sure you wouldn’t know an adjustment if you were spotted the a,d,j,u,s,t,m,e, and n. Did you happen to notice our pass rush Sunday? Started out blitzing and then dialed it back to a 4 man rush? Do you know why butler did it? I wonder what that would be called?

14. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Mike Tomlin...you are the weakest link!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    When they played the Raiders and Saints Tomlin made sure they had enough time?

What? He can control how the clock winds? Wow, He should have done that more often

16. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Serious changes are going to have to be made to the defense. Schematically, personnel, coaching.

Who are some of the next young up and coming defensive minds in the coaching ranks?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Lol, when they played the Raiders and Oakland went 1st and goal inside two minutes, he didn't call a timeout and let at least 40 seconds burn off of the clock. This was the EXACT opposite of what happened Sunday evening against the Saints in the exact same situation.

For me two things warrant Tomlins immediate release at the end of this season, regardless of the outcome.

A) inexcusably sitting Roethlisberger in the second half against Oakland. He was cleared to play. He wanted to play. He was able to play. He's a Hall of Famer. He sat him for Joshua Dobbs for all but one series. Inexcusable and negligent. It cost them the game and will cost them the postseason.

B) Talking about playing the Patriots a month ahead of time last season. The arrogance and disrespect shown to Packers, Bengals, and Ravens who they had to play before the Patriots was shameful and the interview was appalling. Is it any wonder why his team constantly lacks focus and is unprepared against teams they should beat?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Regarding the situation with Ben in Oak:
    https://larrybrownsports.com/football/mike-tomlin-ben-roethlisberger-try-to-clarify-bizarre-injury-situation/476429

It appears the extent of Ben's injury was unclear.

You still talking about last year? Talking about the Pats or any other team had nothing to do with winning or losing. Let it go already. Geezz.

19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    What did you put in your eggnog? I could use some especially thinking about what could have been.

20. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    A) Being up by only 4 points in the 3rd quarter to a sorry ass Raiders team IS an emergency.

B) So just because we flip the calendar Tomlin gets a clean slate? Great. Im sure MT will be happy to know that all of his shortcomings will be forgiven in 7 days. And yes the talking has a lot to do with winning and losing. It's unprofessional, undisciplined, disrespectful, and unwise. It offers a glimpse into how he coaches his team and the results speak volumes.

Quit making excuses for Coach Tomlin, he's average at best. His time here has run its course. Time for a fresh start for both, the Steelers and Mike T.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am afraid MT will be asked to make some tough decisions this off season that he will not like to do.
    Maybe he says, I am not doing it and quits?

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 3
  22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Kris Richard for me but that is it. Unless some hot name college defensive coordinator elects to take his talent to the NFL, I have not the foggiest.

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It doesn’t have to be limited to up and coming defensive minds. There may be some head coaches who get fired who were quality DCs that failed as head coaches. Bowles and Wilks to name a couple. I haven’t studied the recent performance of those guys as DCs prior to getting head coaching gigs, so I’m basically just throwing their names out there as examples.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s a slight possibility. He should be ordered to can Butler, Porter and maybe another one or two guys on the defensive staff. He may not like that kind of directive.

25. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Of what use does telling the world what you did help? Let the other teams watch film and figure it out. Stop believing everything you hear.