1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Tomlin isn't the problem...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe we should make a thread for the blind Tomlin loyalists while we are at it :shrug:

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    We have all heard the saying "the sum is greater than the parts." With this team it is opposite, the parts are greater than the sum. How can a team have a hall of fame QB, a probable hall of fame wide receiver, a second stud receiver, a beast for a tight end, a talented o-line, depth to replace a star holdout and injured starters, at the least an average defense, be on the outside looking in at the playoffs?

It starts at the top, Art Rooney II needs to hold Tomlin accountable, challenge him to be focused on the details. Rooney needs to ask Tomlin what can he do better in 2019? How are you going to accomplish it? Rooney needs to step up and recognize opportunity and get out of his comfort zone. Would Khalil Mack had made a difference? Trade a 1st round pick once in awhile, if that gets you to a Super Bowl. Mack would have changed the culture of the team. Look at what he did for Chicago. There wasn't one team this year that was more talented than the Steelers, yet their record shows a slightly above average team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    It’s like having an employee who shows up for work on time every day but then just stands around and never works. When you say he should be fired, his supporters say “But he’s always on time. Never been late once.”

Let’s see what his family, I mean supporters say if the Steelers get beat by another no name QB and the bengals. Sad thing is we could all see it happening.

• Like Like x 3
  4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Spot on analogy. Also, his supporters will say "he did a good job 9 years ago" so he deserves another chance.

9 years ago people!!! What has this team done since then besides fail to meet expectations? Stop accepting mediocrity and excuses. Time for coach cliche to go.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. bnasty23

bnasty23 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    So all you need is a great Qb, I will tell Rivers he should not be in HOF, cause he can't win, plus I will tell McCarthy he is a failure

6. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Maybe Tomlin should become the Steelers new defensive coordinator since he had success with the Buccaneers & Vikings...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. bnasty23

Jan 3, 2012
    Lol, maybe a thread for new coach every year. I am sure the mod can find a thread of your saying fire the Chin when he had three losing season. I don't like Tomlin, but I do get tired of the same thread on how dumb a play was, time outs, unprepared. I will bet a farm if we would hav punted the ball and the saint drove down field and used all of the clock, half of y'all would still say he has no b***, he should have did this or that no killer instinct. Example go look at the charger thread on again dumb play calling, timeouts,ect. Only time that thread is up is on a lost. So what did he do to be NE?? Cause all I hear is he don't make changes. Or should I think Bill for throwing JH that int. or Brady so confused

8. bnasty23

Jan 3, 2012
    Lol, I do believe the poster ask a question. So what I put was a lie??? According to the definition of losing season one must have more loses than wins. Are we still in playoff hunt? Have he had a season with more loses? Lastly,when they won the SB did we rely on help or did they earn it????

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I am with TroyBellRinger55 on this one. Ben is in his final years. Not much can be done about that I am afraid. Very seldom does a change like that happen no less.

All that said and, I cannot believe me, of all people am stating this, maybe it is time for a change. When that change happens though is anyone's guess. All I do know is that change is needed... and I would imagine Art Rooney II must feel similar sentiments at this point the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Your incoherent babbling is hard to follow. Is there a point you're trying to make here? I think you are trying to say that 8-8 is not a losing season. If so, then yes, you are correct. Hang your hat on that if you want to, but again, that is too low an expectation for a winning organization.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bnasty23

Jan 3, 2012
    Sorry will dumb down for you. To be considered a losing season, you must have more loses period not your interpretation of.second please read what the poster ask and I gave facts not opinion. Lastly if 8-8 get you into the playoffs it's a good year. Lol, ask I think Seattle who made playoffs with a losing record and hosted the first round of the playoffs.

12. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Yes, you are spot on with the "dumb" descriptor as far as your comment is concerned. Perhaps you can enlist the help of Formerscribe to get some tutoring, but I digress.

Like I said before, you are correct that 8-8 is not a losing season. Nor is it a winning season either. And it damn sure doesn't meet my expectations. But hey, for those who accept mediocrity as the standard being the standard, you made your bed so go lay in it, don't live in your fears, and go ahead and unleash hell over a solid D+ season.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Any team can win in this league, it happens. My issue isn't with Tomlin's record or anything like that, it is the inconsistency. For the 9th straight season we have lost multiple games to sub .500 teams, no other winning coach has that happens for that kind of streak. We can blame the players, they get full of themselves for sure but if the coach can't motivate and keep a team focused on every opponent then there isn't a need for a coach.

In the last 20+ years, the Mike Tomlin coached Steelers have the worst record of any team by far when favored by double digits on the road. That stat speaks volumes, that means he is looking past the competition and you can't do that in this league. If it happens every couple of seasons ok but every single year means there is an issue. The issue is that when this team is getting ready for a poor opponent the attitude changes and the atmosphere is relaxed and that starts from the coaching staff and funnels down to the players.

Tomlin isn't new, he should have been getting better at clock management, he isn't. The other thing is his lack of fixing issues they know need fixing, when they have a problem is lasts all season. A perfect example is how we all watch preseason and how we speculate how bad it will be when the team plays poorly. When that happens we hear guys say things like, " well it is only preseason, the defense is still vanilla and things will be better with the starters." What usually happens is what happened this year again, communication issues on defense the came up in the preseason and lasted until present day, it never gets fixed, that isn't the players as much as it is the coaching.

In fact take a look at the defensive issues, the same miscommunication problems have been happening for the last 3 seasons. In a lot of respects it is getting worse instead of better, at some point you need to make a change yet Mike Tomlin does nothing. This also isn't a kneejerk reaction either, this goes back to last season when the team was 13-3 but they didn't look like a 13-3 team, a lot of last second wins against sub .500 teams with back up QBs. At some point you have to say well we have had 3 OCs amd 2 DCs and the same problems keep coming up, the only common denominator is the HC and it is the only thing that wasn't changed.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well he did beat Tomlin in the SB....so there is that

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Mic drop.....

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    How would they read it though? You clearly didn't think that through....:hehehe:;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Almost no one would be complaining had they punted. I imagine what would be a top complaint had they punted and lost would be the Ridley fumble and taking the ball out of Bens hands when he was shredding the Saints D.

And for the record, I never called for Cowher to be fired but I did embrace it when he said he was stepping down. Some of you never get tired of the same old cereal. Tomlin has been here forever. Lets get a new voice in there and see if the team can take the next step.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Nice post. It's obviously on Tomlin. His ignorance has this team out of the playoffs. If the owners cared at all about winning #7 he'd be fired.

19. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    If the Steelers had punted, New Orleans would have still scored a touchdown, but with less time left on the clock. If you are going to do a risky fake punt, you might as well go for it on 4th down, put the ball in your best player's hand and last night that was Roethlisberger.

20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah I can't see a long list of people complaining about actually punting the ball . When you know ....you're supposed to punt the ball

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't see a new HC from outside being the answer at this time. He would likely bring in too many changes both philosophically and staff wise. Now what I wouldn't mind seeing is giving Munchak a year or two with this team. I would admit if I was wrong but I don't see how things would get worse for the next two seasons. I know there's enough respect on the team for him.

22. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    On your first point if its sure thing NO drives the field and scores a TD why not snap the ball run back into our own endzone and drop the ball so all they have to do is fall on it for a TD.
    Then we get the ball back to drive down the field to win it with 4 minutes on the clock.

Had we not held them to 3 and outs or very short drives on their three previous drives.

I agree with you if you have no confidence in your defense to stop them or no confidence in your punter to be able to down the ball inside the 15 yd line then go for it with Ben. Line up 5 wide or 4 wide and hit a quick slant. Still very risky from the field position we were in and the distance, it was fourth and 5 not fourth and 2.

For me the dumbest call was to bring in Riddley who rarely touches the ball and has had fumble issues and then when we see they have 9 or 10 guys in the box we don't call a time out or audible to something different. That play had no chance, even the Bus got stuffed once in a when facing a stacked box.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Or just lazy analysis by some fans, they always mention the loss to teams like Denver or the tie to Cleveland, but fail to mention amount of turnovers the Steelers had. Then it's losing to inferior teams, fire the coach :shrug:.

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Or even lazier analysis by some fans to not go back and look and realize the same problems have existed for years and years :shrug::shrug:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah like Ben's turnovers :bowdown: