1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin is an ass clown

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Dec 23, 2018.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I am a big critic of Tomlin. I also don't see him leaving anytime soon and that's not a terrible thing either. There are currently a lot worse coaches throughout the NFL.

2. Steelsax

Steelsax Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The Bengals for one, LOL. I don't go overboard in my support of Tomlin but I do believe he is a great coach and I don't mind him being held accountable. But some only hold him accountable for the losses and never want to attribute any of the wins to him. I had hope going into this game and they almost pulled it off. The one call Tomlin made tonight that I didn't agree with was the fake punt. But even after that they still could have won - 3rd and 20 and the defense can't get off the field!. We all feel pain after a tough Steelers lose, but can we dial the hatred back just a bit?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Agree with every single word Hack. Concisely stated and spot on. (How's your Sister's Food Truck Biz?)

4. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Why do I doubt? Drew Brees and the weapons the Saints have on offense. The defense had the Saints in 3rd and 20. The Saints offense found a way to convert. They proved it when the defense didn't stop the Saints from scoring.

At least the offense had a chance and Juju blew it. That simple. I don't understand the logic of people that want to give Juju a pass on the play that ended the game and in the same breath blame Tomlin. Makes no sense.

Look this season is an easy picture for me. The Steelers would be in the playoffs if they didn't turn the ball over as much as they did. Injuries and coaching and players mistakes happen on every team. Turnovers are difficult for any team to over come.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    But this is the problem. We would rather stay mediocre instead of take a chance at greatness. What’s the saying, “ you miss every shot you don’t take”?

6. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    This is the key for me. Where were the adjustments when Brees was shredding us with a RB on a LB for 20-40 yards every time? It's not like it happened once or twice, either.

7. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    How many people believe the Steelers defense would had stopped the Saints offense from driving 80 yards for a TD with 4 minutes and 3 time outs remaining?

8. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    It wasn't just a LB on a RB. They burned Davis for a long pass because Davis took a bad angle. Ish happens. Kamara makes plays. He's burned, DB's, LBs, CB's ect. Players in the NFL make plays. You expect a shut out?

If you didn't realize it wasn't just a LB then how can you tell that there were not any adjustments? I believe the Steelers made adjustments. After all they found ways to stop and slow down the Saints offense at times. The refs certainly didn't do the Steelers defense any favors at times with bad calls at critical moments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    It doesn't matter that it wasn't a LB - and in hindsight, I shouldn't have even mentioned the position. LB, CB, safety, Brees's grandmother - didn't matter who lined up opposite, they shredded us on the SAME PLAY at least 4 times.

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Why not? They stopped them on the previous 3 chances they had. They also had them stopped on two 4 th downs that were gifted to them. The D played well all things considered. I don't see how you think it was a automatic that they scored. Unless it's just your attempt at trying to rationalize a stupid fake punt on your own 40. He claimed he wanted to be aggressive but then he handed the ball to Ridley and he tried to run his fullback for 5 yards when his QB was dealing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So lets make it easier on Brees and company by giving him a short field.

JuJus fumble was hardly a careless error, not much he could do about that with how he was tackled. That said, it definitely cost them a chance to tie it.

Tomlins error put them in that position in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    i believe they could have

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Like I said, I can rationalize a one-off or an anomaly, but this is a pattern that has been allowed to continue for way too long. For me, it isn't about hatred. It is about entertainment, which is why I watch the NFL and the Steelers. This crap has become too stressful and frustrating and stopped being entertaining at some point. I can't put my finger on exactly when. Maybe losing to the Jags last year but probably way before then. Maybe losing to Tebow or hell losing to Bruce freaking Gradkowski at Oakland. But whatever it was, I'm not entertained watching this team underachieve with Tomlin at the helm. He has pissed away Ben's best years and I'm tired of it.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. m4mica

m4mica Active Member

Oct 21, 2014
    That's fair, so let's go with that logic. Tomlin decides to close the game out then and there because he assumes Brees will score. So, what has a higher chance of success. A) fake punt handoff to Nix up the middle or B) Ben throwing to AB, JuJu, MacDonald, etc.

I'd much rather have my superstars win for me. Same reason they shouldn't have tried to jam Ridley into the teeth of the D.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    We will never know but to try and justify a stupid decision in which the Cons outweighed the Pros by just assuming they would isn't correct.The Saints still had 3 TOs at that point so even if we would have converted we still needed to make at least 1 more 1st down to secure anything.

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Zackly!!

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Marty Schottenheimer would beg to differ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Hollywoodbags68

Hollywoodbags68 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    I think the guy is pretty clearly a below average NFL coach.

His special teams units have always been terrible, with the exception of some good kickers.

He stuck with Todd Haley for years when clearly he was not on the same
    page with his QB and when his offense was underachieving.

He has had a hand in drafts that have been, by and large, horrible when it comes to defense.

Worst, his teams annually underperform against inferior competition.

He is a player’s coach so maybe he is a good motivator, in a way. But his teams have consistently underperformed expectations. If he had inherited a lesser QB, can you imagine what his numbers would look like?

Other than Cincinnati, not exactly a franchise to be emulated, there is no other team in the NFL that would retain this guy after this season. He is, in almost all facets, subpar, largely due to his inability to learn from mistakes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Mike McCarthy says hold my beer.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Shanahan, Ditka, Billick. Les Miles too...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Lol Colin Dunlap is on the Sports Showdown saying Tomlin has to go.

22. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Several hours later and I stopped at your comment. Echo your sentiment.

Steelers came to play. They played to win. It didn’t work out. They were beat by the best team in football in their place and it came down to the wire.

I get that as a fan base it’s natural to place blame. The refs. The playcalling. The coaching. Sometimes it happens.

I’m dissapointed as hell and will wake up with a hell of a hangover. But the Steelers didn’t let me down this game. They just didn’t have enough to win.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    This pretty much sums up my thoughts about Tomlin.

The Steelers need to move on from Tomlin

The 46-year-old hasn't gotten enough out of his talented team of late, indicating it's time for the Steelers to move on and find a fresh face to run a roster that may be on the verge of a major transition anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Kevin James

Kevin James Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Tomlin took over a contender, two years after they just won the Super Bowl. Most Coaches come into bad situations on bad teams in bad organizations. I'm sure there are plenty of Coaches that could of had plenty of success if put into Tomlin's situation.

I had no problem with Tomlin at first, I wanted to like the guy, but for the last 3 or 4 seasons he has made it impossible. It's not about one play or one game or even one season, it has been consistent for a few seasons now. The horrible game management, the lack of discipline, the fact that our players can get up for good teams but then consistently struggle against bad teams, that tells me the Coach is failing to do his job at keeping his players focused. And then there's the drafting on defense with all the #1 picks we spent on defense with nothing to show for it.

There are probably people on this forum who could have done a better job than Tomlin.

And speaking of Turnovers, how many did our defense have this year? Not very many.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    The good Ben showed up yesterday. He was running the show. Whose bright idea was it to take the ball out of his hands and give it to Ridley and Nix? Thats who should be terminated. Its almost like Tomlin was trying to throw the game.

• Agree Agree x 2