1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Coastal Steeler, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Holding my hands to my face, peeking through my fingers
    Is # 8 still here?

2. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If I'm not mistaken, the first roster cuts are on or before August 28. I would expect something to happen to him by then. I know it's just one game and our OL stunk in front of him, but I have a sneaking suspicion he's not who we thought he was.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He didn't have much to work with... There were plenty of worse players on the field lining up right in front of him.

4. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    That was directed at mac daddy. He and I were picking on each other during the game. I do think he will be gone at the first cut though. BUT I saw a lot of Bubby Brister imatations this weekend. Drop back 5 steps and lay down. Johnson/clawson/ The Texan late guy/ and many more

5. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    The way Lefty and Johnson looked :facepalm:
    We better keep Charlie! :praying:
    :herewego!:

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we would have picked charlie up in pieces behind that line play. i believe the coaches see something else from him. i think worst case he goes to the PS. :cool:

7. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I am doubting he would get cut with the first round of cuts. They need another QB besides their main guys to play more of the preseason to limit injuries to them/etc. He'd probably be one of the last rounds of cuts...even though he didnt look great (though he didnt have much around him to work with).

8. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    As bad as that game was in the second half, I actually wondered out loud if we should bring back Dennis Dixon?!?! He has to be better than what we saw against the Eagles.

HOWEVER, I am not sure if it is too early to come to any rash decisions yet. The line in front of #8 was really terrible. There was no protection, no holes to run through, and thus no running game.

The receivers sucked. I am not sure the way played (or did not play) that they want to make the team. They do not get open and even if they do they don't seem to catch anything. We will see...

Having said all of that, it seems that #8 wants to run more than throw and we have had this already too often. Let's give him a little more time and see if it gets any better. I saw probably 20 other guys I think we could cut right away... Didn't you? (However, #8 really was painful to watch.)

9. LA_STEEL

LA_STEEL Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Is there any good FA to back up ben available? what about Mcnab i hear hes been working out and getting leaner. #8 scares me and #16 one injury away from retirement.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    there is a ton more to learn in a new offense for a qb then all the other positions combined. he has to know what every position is doing. less reps in practice because he's the 4th arm, and yes i can see how a new qb could maybe not look like a friggin all pro after a couple of weeks in camp in his first game. just think how many other guys were going the wrong way on that offense at the time but we will blame the qb and cut him.

i know coastal is working on me and we were having fun with it. no biggy. the kid is big. can run. he is also accurate when he has a little time and has learned the offense better. do you think he would look this bad with the first team? ( the way it sits now maybe) most 3rd or 4th string qb's this young run alot in the early preseason. he will be fine. he's the one that beat all the qb's when they had the competition of throwing the ball 40yds. and into a trash can. he's got lots of passing records at a&m. i'm glad we have a big, strong armed, fast, young qb to work with. he's got some upside. that's what i think about him anyway. :cool:

11. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    McNabb is about as old, slow, fat and dumb as Warren Sapp, why on earth would we want him in Pittsburgh?

12. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Hes not a FA but Id give the Clowns a fifth for Colt!! Sounds like they want to move him.....We need a decent back up to 7....A 5th for a good backup to 7.....Sign me up!!!!

13. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

I wouldn''t mind them picking up Colt McCoY either but is there any way to get them to make his dad stay home? One sack and he'd be throwing the whole organization under the bus.

14. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011

I wouldn''t mind them picking up Colt McCoY either but is there any way to get them to make his dad stay home? One sack and he'd be throwing the whole organization under the bus.[/quote:3fqrben2]

This ORG.wouldnt put him back into game under those situations......And Dad should have no say when his kid get back in game!!!

15. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    From what I saw at Latrobe...I am guessing Charlie gets some game time this week.

He did not look good...But I still love Terrell Pryor of Oakland...I am waiting for them to cut ties....then pray Pitt brings him in.

HACK

16. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I'll agree with you on that one, I would take Terrell Pryor for our game as a backup.

I'd take Tebow, he would fit our play incredibly well. In fact, I think collective jaws would drop on how well his game fits our offense, line, and backs.

I wouldn't touch McCoy but I would bring in the Moses of the backup QBs_Garcia! LOL

Indeed Sir, I would.

17. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I just watched the Oakland/Dallas game. I thought it was very fascinating to watch Pryor play, because now I know exactly how my NFL preseason debut at quarterback would have gone.

18. CbusSteel

CbusSteel Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Terrell Pryor???? He's as dumb as a box of rocks. No way!!!

19. CbusSteel

CbusSteel Active Member

Oct 26, 2011

Scratch that. I know boxes of rocks that are smarter.

:lolol:

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i don't care for the kid after what all transpired at ohio state. he just never progressed into a good commander or passer ( as to where he would be a good pro QB) , and attitude. he helped give OSU a big time black eye, and it may take me some time to forget about that too. he's a great athlete, but man. :facepalm: :cool:

21. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    mac daddyo. You know I have to keep it going now but why do we always pick up QB's who were in the HM race and get hurt?
    I agree with you on Pryor too

Jerrod Johnson beat out Ryan Tannehill to start at quarterback for Texas A&M in '09 and '10, when he was the preseason Big 12 Conference offensive player of the year and mentioned as a possible Heisman Trophy candidate.

That spring, however, he had surgery on his right shoulder, and that fall he just wasn't the same. Tannehill, who played well at wide receiver for the Aggies after losing out in the competition with Johnson, replaced him at quarterback, and the results could not have been more diverse for both. Johnson, a year ahead of Tannehill, went undrafted in '11, signed with Philadelphia and was cut after two weeks of camp. Miami made Tannehill the eighth overall pick in '12.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

there is no question he struggled after the shoulder surgery. they say it's finally getting back to where it was when he was setting records there. i'm glad we have a big strong young qb to work with. time will tell my friend. i'd like to see him operate with just a tick of an o-line in front of him. tom brady would have looked bad behind that mess last week. :cool:

23. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with you on both but have to keep the chatter going. I was refering to D Dixon and Johnson both coming off injury from college to us

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i would assume they have the feeling that if they were good once, they could be good again, but there is no hurry for them here. they can take the time to heal and learn. grabbing them in the 5th or later for guys that would normaly go much higher. why not with 3 decent vets in front of them for another year. dixon just never transfered it to the field after being in the system that long. i think they felt not enough progress was made by him. even if #8 only becomes as good as lefty, it's still a plus because lefty and charlie are near the end. we will need backups behind ben for a few years. there's always that likelyhood he could become good enough by then to move up. why not take a guy that once could do it, and try him. what do they have to lose? he's cheap and isn't looking to take anyone but charlies job right now. 3rd clipboard carrier. :shrug: :cool:

25. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    True. I love Charlie but I think his funeral was last week Haha
    He always does well when he comes in too.