1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ongoing missed opportunities

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jjmc, Dec 23, 2018.

1. jjmc

jjmc New Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I Have been a Steelers fan my entire life. I dont pretend to be an expert. The Steelers have missed / failed to make it to the superbowl especially the last 2 years. Time and time again they loose to teams that they dominate , Clock management has been historically under Tomlin sub par at best especially driving down the field and scoring with way too much time left for the opponent to score. Team preparation, mental preparation is poor. Where is the no huddle? Big Ben is historically excellent at the no huddle. And the inability to address the defensive needs over the last several years has been a disaster. more than likely at the end of today we are home for the post season. Its time for major changes including Mike Tomlin to go. I see us as Steeler fans having several years of 8/8 or less upcoming. The steelers have squandered high expectations under Tomlin. He has not got the job done and continues to allow the teams mental preparation to not play 4 quarters, loose to lesser opponents consistently, run when they should pass, and pass when they should run. Its time for change in the Burgh.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Active Member

Dec 13, 2018
    It’s been time for change. Unfortunately ownership is living in the 1800s.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I agree with your post. I'm not certain of how to correct it. Defense needs improvement at the coaching level. Can MT learn? I don't know, but his uptake is a slow curve in many facets.

SQUANDERED opportunities is the REAL ISSUE. Teams that consistently take advantage of opportunities usually have the advantage at seasons' end (New England and Baltimore this year, the Bills and Steelers in bygone years). Teams that fail to take advantage of opportunities usually experience a disappointing end to the season ( Steelers, Chargers, Chiefs, Seahawks, Falcons, and Texans fall into that category in recent years).

Prediction: Houston squanders their opportunity today and the Ravens play the AFC Championship Game in Gillette Stadium. The Ravens don't have a legitimate quarterback and the Patriots are average in talent, yet taking advantage of the opportunities afforded them bodes well for their likely success.

Taking advantage of opportunities is highly correlated with successful coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    So you are not happy with Tomlin again not having a losing season and squandering years of a franchise QB?

It's time to move on from Coach Cliché. Although it won't happen. There will be the sacrificial lambs. But the top man needs to go. Need a fresh voice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Agree. The reason he hasn't had a losing season is because he has elite talent and he's wasted it. A decent coach would have at least 2 more SB with the talent he's had

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I know I said I wouldn't continue the negativity against MT, but I have to inject this -

MT is already (presumably) getting his "atta-boy's" from ownership on slaying the NE dragon last week. They have most likely, along with everyone else, said that NO is an unwinnable game anyway, and that the Ravens just got hot at the right time and out of our control. So he has already been given the nod of approval he needs to stay for several more seasons at the least. Hey, you know, regular-season winning record and all.

7. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    I'm not certain if you are referring to my post or not, but I am in no way an MT supporter or an MT hater. I am disappointed in MT. He has far underachieved in my opinion. I truly believe there are coaches who would do much better with this team than has MT, maybe even coaches not presently in the NFL.

8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Welcome OP to the echo chamber. You'll find you have lots of company here. Now back to hibernation until KO. :sleepy:

9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    After seeing how fast Philly and J-Ville dropped from "elite" to underachieving in one year, and how Bears and Texans re-surged in one year, I'm not sure of anything anymore whether it's coaches, teams, franchises...........

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Rooney isn't that simplistic. He is intelligent enough to see that this team wasted far too many opportunities this season. It's one thing to drop one game due to self-inflicted damage, but this group lost three in a row, with the officials doing their part as well against the Chargers. That kind of sloppy play has to fall at least in part on Tomlin. The decision to sit Roethlisberger when he was ready to return against the Raiders was so bad it finally put me on the side of those calling for a coaching change. Tomlin arrogantly assumed his team could hold on without Roethlisberger, or that it would be good enough to make the playoffs in spite of giving that game away. It was a terrible decision that will most likely leave the team at home watching the playoffs this season.

All of that said, Tomlin's not going anywhere. How many teams in the NFL would fire a head coach with two Super Bowl appearances and one championship after this season. The Steelers are 8-7-1. They got a must-win over the Patriots in December. He still hasn't had a losing record. To be clear, I'm not defending Tomlin or even saying that I agree with keeping him. I'm saying there are plenty of other teams that would do exactly what Rooney is doing.

They do need to at least make changes in the coaching staff. Keith Butler and Danny Smith need to be gone. We've seen far too many poor plans on defense this season.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They haven't had enough talent on defense to win a SB, fans just see big names on offense and expect to win a SB :facepalm:.

12. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Tomlin is the problem. If this guy can't have number one draft picks at each position he won't do well.
    He's no head coach, when will people wake up to this.
    No losing seasons is the teams new thrill I guess. With the talent he has had, the Brown's couldn't screw that up. Brown's will own him from now on.
    The Rooney need to get over themselves with getting rid of Tomlin . Who to replace Tomlin ? Anyone they want. No one knew Tomlin, Cowher or Noll as a head coach until they hired them.

13. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The Cowboys of the early 90's had a great QB a great RB and a great WR, We could say we had the same level of talent with Ben, Brown and Bell.
    Dallas won 3 SB with that level of talent in 4 yrs.
    The Steelers haven't won anything with comparable talent. With Ben Brown and Bell they didn't even get to one.There last SB win was with mostly Cowher's defensive players.
    The secondary has been a dis-organised mess for 3 or 4 years now.
    Defensive heads have to roll and the head coach needs to smarten up assuming he is safe after all another mediocre season is not a losing season.

What is especially painful is that the Pats are not what they were, KC is hurting without their RB, Indy is too young and Baltimore has a great defense but their offense is not even average.
    This year could have been wide open.