1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Nawlins Must Win

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mark Moore, Dec 22, 2018.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    So let’s say if the Steelers tie today in the unlikely scenario and win next week against the Bengals and finish with a 9-5-2 record I believe that is the same winning percentage as finishing 10-6 if the Ravens win next week against the Browns. It would then come down to better record in the division and the Steelers would win the tiebreaker based on division record 4-1-1 to the Ravens 3-3. Can somebody confirm this is the case?? I say this with the simple fact that Tomlin needs to know if this game goes to OT and a tie is looming that you have to try and play for that as well if it gets late in OT. I expect Tomlin though as usual to have no clue of this because he is clueless when it comes to preparing and knowing situational football.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Chargers reminded me of us in the 1st half of the Jax game. Pitiful.

3. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Seeing Hairball and one of his players basically grinding each other as they celebrated the win last night was sickening to watch!!!! On the postgame interview, Jackson and Weddle were asked if they will be watching the Steelers and Saints game they both replied heck no!!! were not watching that we got the Browns coming up!!!! Yeah right!!!! Hairball is probably hosting a viewing party at his house hoping the Steelers lose so he can get the Division win jerk!!!!

4. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Looks like going 9-5-2 would win the division over the Ravens going 10-6 should this game end in a tie today. It’s very unlikely this happens but it’s something to really keep an eye on if this game should go overtime. Tomlin had damn sure better know this going into this game Incase this indeed does come up.

5. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    0k, I'm generally not a doom and gloomer so here goes-

1- Today is December 23. This is an extremely important day of good fortune in Steelers history. If you don't know why, then go look it up. Please.

2- To further channel that past, I look back to the 1984 Steelers. This particular edition had its star running back hold out and then ultimately never play for them again. This team had an uncanny knack of losing to bad teams and beating good teams. This team had a great veteran WR and a great young WR. After squandering a division lead, they had to win a must game on the road at the end of the season against the defending champion Raiders.

Raise your hand if this all sounds somewhat familiar.

And of course, they won that game against the Raiders 13-7 and went to the AFC championship game.

3- Back to the present. Last night's Baltimore win might actually be a good thing. A Steelers win out and a Ravens WC might give them a much better route to the SB. A 6 seed Ravens with a powerful running game and stingy D is the best possible team to play the Patriots in an opening round game. This would have the Steelers playing the Chargers @ home followed by a trip to Houston while the Ravens go to KC. Not a totally implausible scenario at least.

4- Should the Steelers win in, it would set up a game against the Chargers. Would not that be a great revenge win against a team that everyone on here should really be getting to dislike right now?

5- Even if there is no playoffs-we still beat the Patriots this year.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

They did enough to beat arguably the second best team in the AFC?

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    1. Steelers made this bed.
    2. Steelers still control their destiny.
    3. If your going to be in the playoffs, your going to play teams as good as the Saints, and in an environment as though as today’s game.
    4. If Steelers can’t beat a very good team such as today’s Saints, what hope would they even have if the made they playoffs?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Yeah and how do you think they are going to do that by running the ball ,controlling the clock and have a tough swarming defense.

Ok never mind that formula does still work.

Their weakness will most likely be their QB serving up badly timed int's, or not being able to score enough once in the redzone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Not a good one. Right now the Steelers have a less than 50% chance of making the playoffs. If they lose today, it goes down to about 20%.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Not necessarily. If Bal beat Cle 10-6 there would be a tie. Look---

Steelers
    8 5 1 .607

Baltimore
    Ravens
    9 6 0 .600

I was puzzled how they got the .607. I had divided 13 into 8 and got
    a higher %. Then it dawned on me. They now count the ties so the record
    is 8.5 5.5. so if you divide 14 into 8.5=.607.

Now, If you tie with NO and beat CIN 9 5 2 BAL beats CLE 10 6 0 It would be a tie.
    Who wins the tie breaker IDK but I think Bal would if it goes to Conf. record. [edit]Actually
    the Steelers would absolutely win the division with a much better division record.

NO would also keep home field advantage so both would benefit.

11. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    I'd agree if the game was in Pittsburgh. Dallas didn't beat them in their house.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    The big factor that no one is considering - the Steelers haven't played a complete game on the road this year. Look at their road performance - not a single one of them would be good enough to beat the Saints in the Superdome.

13. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    That is correct. Tie today and win next week and the Steelers would win the division.

14. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    No - it goes to division record first and the Steelers would win the division based on 4-1-1 vs Baltimore 3-3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I'll be watching this game wearing black for the funeral and end of this season lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    GO STEELERS:herewego!::herewego!::herewego!: There is too much Negativity on here today..

• Like Like x 1
  17. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I don't think Baltimore won that game as much as the Chargers lost it. Turnovers, penalties and Rivers playing just horrible. Their running back being back certainly didn't help, he was worthless. I don't think the Ravens go far in the playoffs. Of course, unless we pull off another Christmas miracle, we aren't even making the playoffs. I still think the Steelers will win today but if they don't its their own fault and they don't deserve to make the playoffs. Plus don't rule out the Browns beating the Ravens next week to help us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We hate the ravens but they have a great defense and chargers are just frauds lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea that celebration was a bit over the top I thought and somewhat premature. The Ravens still didn’t clinch anything after winning that game last night. They still gotta hope the Steelers lose today which will make them sweat it out today as well like we did last night watching their game.

20. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    They may not watch it. Bmore doesn't need us in order to make the playoffs. They control their own destiny. If anything the colts and titans will be watching our game.

21. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    If they beat the browns they get in regardless if we win, lose, or tie

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    What's to confirm. It's right there in the standings. If div record is the tie breaker used and it was after head to head last time I looked 2002 then you are absolutely correct. Of course you knew that.:smiley1:

Actually, a tie would benefit both teams. Steelers win div NO retains home field advantage. Somebody make a phone call.:smiley1:

When the possibility of a tie was mentioned I had to laugh. It reminded me of something I read years ago.

Because tie games were not included in NFL standings at the time, the Steelers had a chance to play in their first ever NFL Championship Game if they defeated the New York Giants in the season finale, but they fell 33-17. From wiki 1963

23. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    :biggrin::biggrin:[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  24. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    I just hope it’s something that Mike Tomlin is aware of if this game does happen to go OT. Because a tie today is just as good as a win so if you get to OT of course you still play to win but you also have to be aware that tying this game with the Saints still puts you in control of your own destiny to win the division if you beat the Bengals next week.

25. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The only good thing about the Ravens beating the Chargers was I won my weekly bet. I bet the Ravens and took the points. I didn't do it because I thought they would beat the Chargers I did it so that if the Ravens did win I would at least not feel quite as bad by having won the bet. I would have much rather lost the bet and have had the Chargers beat the Ravens.