1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Burns fault?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Dec 17, 2018.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Only scenario that makes sense. Why else would they immediately yank him for the rest of the game? So technically Davis fault but only because Burns didn't tell him what he was doing.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, in some way, Burns made a bad enough mistake to earn him a seat on the bench the rest of the game.

Maybe one of the beat writers will uncover what it was.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    And take Tomlin at his word about wanting a veteran presence on the field because his track record has shown he has taken lesser talented vets over higher talented young players time and time again .

4. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    FWIW: Dale Lolley said in his Live at 5 QA over at DK that Tomlin makes the call between Zone or Man coverage. Tomlin didn't make that call because he was arguing with the ump over the substitution penalty. If this is correct, the fault is on MT although one would tend to ask at that point why the DC or defensive captain didn't make a coverage call or call time out.

5. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Bah, more smoke and mirrors. It wasn't a coverage call issue. I could see if Hogan just beat his man, but there was *no one* within 30 yards of him. It was a communication / blown assignment issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    As I said, FWIW. I just shared what I read from a beat report in response to a post about beat reporters.

7. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    This is where you need the leadership on the field. Someone should have made a call instead of assuming!

It's just not there the last few years.

When they had Troy he would freelance so the defense had to play their assignments to the T. That allowed him to surprise the QB with what he was doing even if they knew the defense.

Same thing with Shazier. He would see something signal the guys and go try to make a play.

Now they all just sit where they're supposed to be and don't make any plays on the ball. That just lets QBs pick them apart.

That's why Haden's INT was so good. He had to leave his man and come back to get it. If he doesn't Gronk probably gets a shot at catching that.

8. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Yeah, I know - wasn't directed at you, just either the media making stuff up or someone filling their ears with misdirection. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  9. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    In regards to the Burns benching Ed Bouchett said today when someone asked him if Burns was responsible for that wide open touchdown he said to go with Tomlins actions and not his words. :shrug:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Actually, if Artie was playing man on Gordon instead of staying home in Cover 3 (zone), then that’s exactly what it would look like.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

He just might be.

However, if that is the case, then he literally is out of options as far as staying in Pittsburgh. It is likely this is his last season in Pittsburgh all together.

For that matter, there is zero guarantee of what that is going to do to him psychologically either. Bad enough he lacks confidence. Even worse you get demoted.

Cut after your rookie deal? That has got to sting.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Cortez Allen 2.0

He was mentally shattered too. Lost all confidence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I am in the minority here in that I still have some hope Burns can turn it around, most likely with another team.
    If he does turn it around with another team it will be clear the only difference is the truly bad coaching of our secondary all year.

The first pass to his side is a completion but Burns closes fast from a deep starting position and wraps up with a nice form tackle holding it to a short gain. Why he lines up so deep maybe ask the coaches.

I agree with AskQuestionsLater I think that missed assignment on Hogan has to fall on Davis.

If it was Burn's man then say so and use it as teaching point, if its his man and he doesn't understand or know it then its a coaching problem.

If its miscommunication then MT needs to own that and if so why yank Burns. If Burns has a lack of confidence like most on here say then humiliating him like that is not going to help build him back up.

If he does get let go or traded we will get nothing for a first round pick who has only regressed under this coaching staff. He played better as a raw rookie.

14. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It isn't confidence or mentality, it is a lack of ability. The main issue is he is a long stride runner that is stiff in the hips, that means it takes him longer to reach full speed and he can't make quick directional changes. That doesn't mean he can't still be a decent CB in the NFL but for that to happen he would have to have a natural instinct and understanding of the game, he doesn't.

He gets beat biting on double moves in man coverage, this is due to being the type of runner he is. He blows assignments iz zone because he lacks the instinct and understanding of the game. I saw this at the end of his rookie season and when I mentioned it I was basically told he gets a pass because he was a rookie and he'll get better.

Here is year 3, he is now regulated to ST and is being replaced by a trash heap player in Sensabaugh, he will get released during camp next season. I also say they will let him compete in camp and then cut him and if they manage a FA or a top CB in the draft, which is unlikely, he may not even make it to camp.

15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Year 4 coming up and they have to decide if they are going to give him the 5th year option :eek: That is if he is still a Steeler, in which I hope he is not.

Time to take some of that cap savings from the rap giant and go after another quality free agent corner. It's obvious this is not a Colbert draft strength.

16. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If they guy is mentally fragile, and you built him up the week leading to the game as a key component for defending NE's passing attack, and three plays Davis screws up royally, and Artie gets punished?

That ain't gonna do much for his mental state. He's gotta want out now. Hell, the team is doing all it can to shrove him out. Maybe Burns has talent, maybe he doesn't, but the guy could use a change of scenery.

Sometimes you draft a 1st rounder who stinks, every team does it. You can either cut your loses after giving the guy his chance - I think Pitt did that with Burns. Or you can arrogantly believe that you didn't really draft the wrong guy, we're waay too clever to do that!, and spent a few yrs polishing crap to convince the world that it was a diamond all along.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Wouldn't you call that the mental part of the game?

18. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I can’t strongly disagree with this. But...

If he’s released and catches on elsewhere, it could be the change of scenery and fresh start at least as much as coaching.

(If he’s cut after the season, we carry $1.3MM dead cap but save $1.8MM.)

19. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Yes it is but I'm talking about his mentality as it relates to his confidence about whether he can play or not. I also see a lot of blaming Davis and it may be on him but it still seems funny Artie got benched and no more miscommunication, coincidence?

We don't see Artie on the practice field, is there a chance he is doing poorly in practice? I think one the teams got a lot of tape on Artie they knew exactly how to expose him and it also shows as QBs were throwing his direction a lot more at the end of his rookie season and his entire second season.