1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Saints Week Keys to Game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel4Blood, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    The Saints have the # 1 Rushing Defense. Their Pass Defense is ranked near the bottom.
    I really hope The Steelers do not decide to just ignore the run because of this.
    They need to establish some kind of run game to win this. Its the only way to control the clock and the more Ben throws the more turnovers that will happen and the game will get away from us quick.
    If Conner plays they need to get him and Samuels at least 20 carries total.
    Even if they are stuffing our run game, they cant just give up on it in the first half.
    Establishing some kind of run game is the key to this game above all else i think.
    If they dont they lose.
    If they do it will be a good game that the Steelers can win.

Defense needs to roll to Michael Thomas as well. He is the only real threat in their receiving core.
    Also, im more worried about Mark Ingram then Kamara. The Bigger Backs are the ones that usually give this defense fits, so stopping him is key as well.
    Thoughts?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    This sums up essentially what Pittsburgh can and will do should Keith Butler continue to utilize and maximize the talent available:

Cowboys have a great front seven and above average average secondary. Pittsburgh has a great front seven but average secondary. Again, none of this matters if Butler cannot put his players into winnable situations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers added a new wrinkle to the running attack with the cut back zone play they ran very successfully. Saints will obviously be looking for it but try it anyway plus throw something new at them.

Regardless though, I think this is going to be a heavy passing attack Sunday. You've seen it all year against teams good at stopping the run, Steelers don't stick with it.

I disagree about Kamara, he's one of the most potent weapons in all of the NFL, they will have their hands full with him.

That dual game plan strategy Butler said was needed for NE will also be needed for the Saints. I mean actually that seems like something you should have in your back pocket every week but whatever. Keep doing it Butler.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dallas has 2 speedy ILB's, the Steelers not so much :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Saints just bit hard on McCafferty TD pass.

I’d try that play 2-3 times.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

We have two speedy safeties.

It is called "improvise." Keith did that well against New England. I hope he can do it against New Orleans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Carolina could ding them up for is a bit..nothing serious..just enough to miss 1 game. I'm looking at you 59.

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Dallas ILB's>Steelers safeties big difference :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah knock Brees out for next week :lolol:

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If the players are put into position to succeed, that talent gets maximized. Ron Marinelli haa routinely put both Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch into winnable situations. Keith Butler had done neither Terrell nor Sean any favors up until last week.

Talent being put into winnable positions > talent that is not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I know one thing and that is we are not holding them to 10 points lol

12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Saints looking a little lackluster since the Dallas game

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh I know. That is very unlikely.

That said, the Saints have been exposed as Brett Kollman pointed out. One final caveat to point out as well; regardless of their division rivalry, Tampa Bay gave them fits in the first half with an inferior defense overall.

Given that our talent on defense is superior than Tampa Bay's, I still give Pittsburgh a shot to win. However, all of this depends on Keith Butler. As it stands, among those in the coaching staff, he still has quite a hot seat.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Jammasterc

Oct 26, 2011
    Looks like a few Playoff teams taking a 2-3 game slide now.
    Steelers just ended their slide.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Saints haven’t looked that great tonight so far down 7-6 to the Panthers. Obviously it will be tougher to beat them indoors at their place but if they are playing like they are tonight so far against the Steelers this Sunday Steelers have a pretty good shot of pulling off this upset.

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm hoping the Saints rally in the second half. The more they need the game next week, the tougher it will be.

Having the Saints on a short week may help, too.

The Steelers have to do what the Panthers are doing, which is to generate pressure up the middle and get their hands up. All quarterbacks are vulnerable to pressure up the middle, but Brees will tear the Pittsburgh defense apart if it doesn't happen. You have to make him move and rush his throws, just as the Steelers did to Brady.

They other defensive key is slowing the running game. For all the talk of Brees, the Saints are more than happy to pound away with Ingram and Kamara if they can.

The line needs to dominate for the offense. That is a tough defense to run against and the only thing they do particularly well against the pass is get pressure. They have one good corner, but otherwise that secondary is vulnerable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    They are a whole different animal in that dome. They are very hard to stop there to say the least. I think we'll have to outscore them. Of course, that's what I thought this week too.

Hopefully the short week helps us a little. Seems like it should be more of an advantage the later in the season just in physical terms.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jammasterc

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh boy, Saints are gonna be mad next week

19. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    If you are up against a good rush defense and you have excellent pass catching rbs like Samuels (Connor had above average hands too), you have to utilize screen passes. They are as good s rushes and get your RBs or in space.

Second, I feel that a Saints win was a godsend for us because it makes our match up "lose-able" for the Saints. If they lost tonight, they would be tied with the Rams with the Rams playing 2 bottom dwellers to end the season. Not saying the Saints are going to roll over for us but I have to feel that the extra game in hand takes the edge off a "must win" match up and walking into a firestorm.

New Orleans will be tough to beat at home but this team can match them in points, just depends if defense will be able to handle their offense. I feel that this team can defend limited option offenses, but Brees will include everyone and will the defense be able to account for everyone on the field? The Hogan TD play from this week is a prime example of forgetting the lower tier weapons in an offense.

20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I dont think the saints intend to have a passing game but will run the ball at us all night with ingram and kamara, we better be able to stop the run or we dont have a chance in this one.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Which Coach or former player do we bring in this week to help with the D??

22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Every game now is a playoff game. Whatever it takes to win they need to figure it out and get it done. That is what needs to happen. Go Chargers. We win and Rats lose, it's Miller Time.

23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  24. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I was watching some analysts and the were saying Saints basically have shown they have one WR plus Kamara. Now granted those guys are both great. But teams are now daring the other receivers to beat them. How does that work for the Steelers? Who knows. This secondary can play suspect at times.

Edit: Just looked it up, it does appear to be pretty damn true

NAME REC TAR YDS AVG TD
    Michael Thomas 109 127 1267 11.6 8
    Alvin Kamara 77 99 627 8.1 4
    Tre'Quan Smith 24 39 386 16.1 4
    Benjamin Watson 32 41 365 11.4 2

• Like Like x 1
  25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Well we tend to make Hogan look like a probowler so there's that. Does he catch alot of passes for the Cheatriots?

• Agree Agree x 1