1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wk 14........ the good, the bad, and the ugly

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Dec 17, 2018.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I saw a Ball hit Dupree right in the hands that he failed to catch... but other than that didnt even notice he played

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m rewatching the game now and particularly watching Dupree. What I’m seeing is s guy who is really easy to block.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree. I think the Steelers would be better off with Chickillo starting and Dupree as a sub.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I don't know about that. Chick played quite a bit after Bud got hurt, and he didn't show up either, from my recollection.

Shouldn't Porter take some heat for Dupree's lack of development? We all knew he was a pretty raw athlete when he was drafted. Why doesn't he have a repertoire of pass rush moves? All he seems to do is try to beat the tackle off the edge with a speed rush. Half the time he ends up looping himself out of the play.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    According to this (https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/57788/PIT_Gamebook.pdf) chick had 3 assisted tackles. Dupree didn't even make the stat sheet (except for time played... 15%)

6. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

NFL wk 15....... 14 for Pittsburgh due to bye wk

7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Maybe Tomlin should give that kid from Florida state every one is high on a shot..Bell came out of nowhere maybe he could to:shrug::hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It be really nice to get somebody who can really bring pressure from that other side. Watt is for real. Dupree is never going to do it. He's one step above a Jarvis Jones. Which isn't saying much.

I'd like to see Ola get some looks but don't think that will happening this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Bell was a second-round pick. He didn't come out of nowhere.

The kid from Florida State is on the practice squad and he is an inside linebacker. The young guy who could get a shot is Ola Adeniyi, who played his college ball at Toledo.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They may not have much of a choice if Dupree's injury keeps him out this week, which seems possible. Adeniyi won't start, but he would see plenty of playing time with Dupree out of the lineup.

11. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  12. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    Ola is much faster than Chickillo your going need speed against this team. Saints are super fast.

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    He should try lining up 10 yards off the ball like our db's. Maybe that will loop him right to the QB.

• Like Like x 2
  14. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Not sure Indy winning was such a good thing.... I want ALL the 8-6 teams to lose from here on out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

OH I thought i heard JB tell a story once abt abt Bell being on the practice squad And Bell knocked him on his ass a couple of times and thats how Bell really got noticed

16. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    The story is correct, I remember Bettis talking about it but it was practice back when they went full pads and hit
    JB said Cowher heard it and said “who the hell was that” or something similar

• Like Like x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    For sure.

Need titans, colts, Miami etc to lose. Need chargers to win.

More importantly would be nice just to win out

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Indy winning was bad for the Steelers. What's good for the Steelers should outweigh the desire to see the Cowboys fail.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That story wasn't about Bell.

20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We will win out

• Like Like x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Ah yes... victory Monday; against the proverbial dragon no less. Here we go!! :herewego:

The good:

Keith Butler:

It took nearly two years, from January 22 of 2017 to the present, for Keith Butler to realize that using the talent given the correct way pays off a great level of dividends. Well, I am glad that he finally figured it all out. Even if it was against an opponent that, for the most part, has not looked as dominant as their usual selves. Had a great gameplan and took what the offense gave him. More importantly, he is beginning to understand Terrell Edmunds more and more; more big play oppurtunities as a result. That leads me to the next good apsect.

Terrell Edmumds:

For the most part, Terrell's rookie season can be classified as "Trial By Fire" due to the circumstances he had to deal with. Some of his games have been good. Others not so much. The key aspect to take from this is how far he has come given those very same circumstances in addition to his own circumstances coming out of college. He did not play safety his entire collegiate career like Derwin James, Jessie Bates III or even Minkah Fitzpatrick. Furthermore, it was intended for him to be eased into the lineup due to the signing of Morgan Burnett. Given those challenges, I would say that Sunday's performance while, not his best, was his most important of the season. It showed both SteelersNation and, a greater extent in Keith Butler, that he is capable of making an impact if given the oppurtunity. Time is what was needed to see the fruits of his labor. Those fruits are now beginning to bear results.

James Washington:

Even with his lack of plays, I never doubted him. Sure, it was definitely fair to question whether or not he could play in this league given his oppurtunities. This critique can be further augmented by the fact that he has had a considerable amount of time to do so this season. Sunday was by far his best performance of the season and, much like Terrell indirectly, most important. He may have had his days in the dumps this season but a win against a team like New England should propell him forward for the challenges yet faced.

Jaylen Samuels/Offensive Line:

After doing relatively little in his first game, most pointed out that Jaylen was not cut out to be a Running Back. I beged to differ: the Offensive Line did not give him much oppurtunity to do so. After that loss to Oakland, the Offensive Line played up to their talent level and allowed Jaylen to run effectively. For that matter, Jaylen took both aspects of the Oakland loss and applied it to how he could assist the Offensive Line. In short? Much like James, best and most important outing of the season for him. This win will serve him well going forward as he is a capable NFL Running Back. Even if James Conner is close to 100%, I would save him for another time and give Jaylen another chance against New Orleans.

T.J. Watt:

I am running out of ways to say it. So, I will just say it; darkhorse candidate for DPOY. You read correctly. I believe he should be in the discussion for Defensive Player of the Year. Why some people thought he was a reach even then still intrigues me to this day. Nevermind having a brother who is a further HOF to lean on but improving on his own merits should have been more than enough to conclude that TJ Watt is arguably becoming or even is the best defensive player on the Steelers as we speak. Even if he is not getting home, he is causing some serious issues for opposing Offensive Tackles. If he is not in the consideration for DPOY, he most certaintly deserves a First Team All Pro nod.

Eli Rogers:

Sure, his stat line is nothing to write home about. However, having yet another quality receiver in the lineup is the most encouraging aspect overall; his reappearance doubly so. While he did not have many catches, those catches proved critical in Pittsburgh's win.

Sadly, with the good comes the bad. So, here it is.

The Bad:

Artie Burns:

I am not going to analyze Artie Burns any more than I need to. For that matter, much like TJ Watt but in a far more antipodean case, I am running out of ways to say what I think of Artie Burns. So, here is a visual illustration of what I think:

[​IMG]

Cris Boswell:

Sure, he made a 48 yard field goal but missed one from inside 40 yards. I seriously cannot defend him any more. That being said, cutting him now counts $6 million against the cap; not good at all given who we need to either resign or attempt to acquire in Free Agency. We are stuck with him; far better or far worse being nugatory.

From the bad we now approach the Ugly:

The Ugly:

[​IMG]

Well, that is it for me everyone. Not too much else to complain about. Biggest aspect to takeaway from this game?

#SteelersNation wins!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    True & I get your point but
    Cowboys/Ravens fail = good in my book
    Shutout = awesome for heckling

We have/had a miniscule chance to be a wildcard, got to get help from the Ravens.

• Like Like x 1
  23. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    This is what I've been saying... but someone else told me that Watt wasn't that good... :facepalm:

24. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Yea prty sure it was

25. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    Watt is streaky at times. But, he by far and away the best pass rusher on the team.

• Agree Agree x 1