1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Need to beat NO

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Saints do not have a rotten defense. New Orleans has the league's best run defense and has given up fewer points and yards per game overall than the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yup Saints defense has been better

3. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea the Steelers need either the Titans or the Colts to both lose this week which would put them both at 7 losses which is highly unlikely, or they need at least one of them to lose this week to either the Giants or Redskins at home, and then they need the team that loses out of the Colts and Titans this week to win the following week during their head to head meeting in Nashville. Now that’s assuming the Ravens win out and the Steelers lose in New Orleans this weekend and the Ravens win the AFC North. That is the Steelers only path to a wildcard is if both the Titans and Colts finish 9-7 and the Steelers finish 9-6-1, or they happen to tie and both finish 9-6-1 the Steelers would then own the tiebreaker over both the Colts and Titans at 9-6-1.

The bottom line here is this if the Ravens lose to the Chargers on Saturday night who are now still playing for the AFC West title and possibly a number 1 seed and home field in the playoffs, the Steelers would only need to beat either the Saints next week or the beat up Bengals here at home the final game to win the AFC North.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I’m feeling really good if chargers take care of business Saturday. Would be a non butt clenching game for me

• Like Like x 1
  5. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    The one thing in our favor going into the Saints game is that the strength of their opponents hasn’t been stellar. Their division is garbage. They did beat the Rams and Vikings though, as well as the Rats by one point at Baltimore.

6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    The titans and colts play eachother this week so impossible for them both to lose. I see the colts taking it at home. Our best bet is the ravens losing to the chargers.

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The Steelers have to win. And win. Can't afford another loss. Ending the season on a high note going into the post season. No room for error. Take care of business. Let it all hang out against Orleans. Balanced Offense and smothering Defense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Where's Real Steel when you need him...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    They’re 23rd rank defense in yards. They’re not good my guy.

10. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    No they don’t play each other this week they play each other the last week on December 30th. The Titans play the Redskins at home on Saturday and the Colts play the Giants at home this Sunday. So unless both lose this week one of them is guaranteed to finish 10-6 if one beats the other in Nashiville in week 17. If one loses this week and one wins the Steelers need the team that loses this week to win next week in Nashville so they both would finish 9-7 unless the game ends in a tie Incase the Steelers finish 9-6-1. The bottom line though again if the Ravens lose to the Chargers on Saturday night the wildcard becomes a moot point as long as the Steelers beat either the Saints next week or the Bengals the final week of the season they would win the division.

11. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    The Saints also play tonight in Carolina in a game the Panthers MUST win and then have to turn around and play the Steelers on a short week 5 days later. That won’t be an easy task for the Saints and hopefully maybe it’s something the Steelers can maybe take advantage of. The Steelers will give the Saints a good game on Sunday win or lose I don’t see the Saints going in there and blowing the Steelers out that won’t happen.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Actually, the Browns aren't eliminated, well they're not completed eliminated.

Here's what has to happen for Cle to catch the last WC:

- Cle must win its last 2 : vs Cin and Balt
    - Balt must lose to LAC
    - Both TN and Indy must lose next week, TN vs Was, Ind vs NYG
    - Mia must lose once, either to Jax or Buf
    - Now the good part: Indy and TN must TIE in Week 17!!

If either Indy or TN win that game, the winner will have 9 wins and Cle can only be 8-7-1.
    But a tie, puts Indy ahead of TN based on Head to Head. Both Indy and Cle I'll have 6-5-1 Conf records, but Cle will win on common opponents.

A long, long shot. But hey, the winning PowerBall ticket could blow into your car window while your driving around town.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They give up fewer points per game than the Steelers. I'm not sure where you are getting your statistic, but I'm looking at a list that has the Saints 14th in the league in yards per game given up.

The Saints had a few stinkers early, but the defense is far from rotten.

14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Steelers just need to win at least as many games as the Ravens to control their own destiny. The Chargers game should be a loss for them, so the Steelers can afford to lose in New Orleans as long as they whoop on the Bengals the following week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    The Browns aren’t going to make the playoffs. Their best chance was to win the division and that went down the toilet yesterday when the Steelers beat the Patriots. I still think the Colts are gonna get the 6 seed over the Ravens and finish 10-6 and the Ravens will finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs again.

• Like Like x 1
  16. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The Ravens are 5 point underdogs to the Chargers
    Steelers are 6 point underdogs to the Saints.
    I think the Ravens lose and the Steelers win.
    Last Thursday I posted the Steelers would beat the Pats and it would be a Christmas miracle.
    I think the Steelers pull off another Christmas miracle this week and beat the Saints.

• Like Like x 2
  17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The Browns would of beat the Saints in New Orleans, had they had a kicker. No reason we can't beat them. Granted Chris Boswell 2017 not 2018 shows up of course.

I think the NFL is a very even playing field this year. I think everyone has vulnerability and weakness to their team. This is one year I don't see a clear cut favorite to win the Super Bowl.

It's possible that you could have a 13-3 #5 seed in the AFC this year. 13 wins and you won't even have a home playoff game at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    NE was basically the Steelers SB, they've been trying to slay that dragon for years.

Now, take that same focus and intensity and put it into EVERY remaining game this year.

They are going to need it to beat the Saints.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    I hope so, but I'm not sold on the Chargers - they have no HFA and if you look at their schedule, they really don't blow anyone out. The win in KC was impressive, but they got a ton of breaks in Pittsburgh, they haven't really beaten any great teams.

I have a feeling Baltimore will keep it close and it will be a 1 possession game late. Baltimore had KC beat so they can hang with LAC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    So if us and Baltimore win and lose this weekend respectively, we win the division?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah - I corrected that statement later.

They better hope LAC beats the Ravens, because I think both Indy and Ten win in week 16 so the Steelers aren't getting a WC if they don't beat the Saints. The tie vs Cleveland is going to haunt them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    Correct

23. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    I think it really benefits the Steelers that Ravens and Chargers game is on a Saturday night. Both the Chargers and Ravens have a ton to play for. Steelers know by Sunday what is at stake either way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    Last time the Steelers beat the Saints in New Orleans it was 1990. By the score of 9-6.

I guess they could be due.

They have only once beaten a Drew Brees led Saints team and that was in 2006 at Heinz Field.

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I remember '02 Steelers lost to Saints 32-29 at New Orleans. This was Maddox's first game as a starter after Stewart imploded the week before vs. Browns. Aaron Brooks was QB for the Saints for that game. Steelers went on to win 4 straight before the infamous Falcons tie game. This season and the '02 season have a lot of similarities. Winning streaks, losing streaks, tie game... inconsistent play.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1