1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

so they can make a game plan and play well

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Dec 17, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    so why not in the past? get to work today for the saints it aint gonna get easier down the stretch. good win, enjoy but get back to work. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think better execution came into it last night. The Hogan TD was the result of bad communication, and he's left wide open and the D looks foolish. The D communicate and hold their positions, and Gronk gets severely limited all night - even with Sean Davis covering him.

Offensively, we took advantage of their weaknesses in a way we haven't done as well previously, and that's definitely an improvement gameplan-wise than before.

Here's hoping for a repeat against NO...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    The sacks numbers may not reflect it, but I thought the pressure really made Brady uncomfortable. I think everyone in the world knows this is a key to beating the Patriots. I'm glad to see the Steelers finally learned it too!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Was it the last throw of the game where he basically threw himself to the ground as he let the ball go? He clearly thought he was going to get lit up...

5. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    X1.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Focus, preparation, and execution produced the results we saw yesterday. The talent on this team is equal to any of HeinzMustard's top 4, by the way three of them lost this week. I am sure everyone noticed the balanced attack by the offense, including Roethlisberger spreading the ball around.

7. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    There were a couple of times he seemed to "throw it up" which he only seems to do under pressure. Yes that and the interception were 2 I thought he threw out of panic.

8. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The gameplans have been good enough. The players have just screwed up too much in other games. I'm not sure why people always default to blaming the coaching when what the players do on the field is what really determines the outcomes.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    One name Jim Herrmann

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Was the takeaway from this game:

A) the Steelers defenaive game plan shut down the Patriots

B) the Patriots game plan was a disaster.

So I watched this game with a few Patriots fans so I may have been influenced, but we were all bewildered on what the Patriots were attempting to do.

So many times they would run the ball twice and get into a 3rd and 5 type situation only to not convert on 3rd down.

Drops and penalties certainly hurt the Patriots too. That INT was definitely not Brady-esque.

Did the best team win this game? Did we get lucky?

I love the win but still very apprehensive going forward.

11. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Ah come now TerribleOwl, do you think the defensive game plan against the Charger's was a good one? I think one of the reasons we won with this recent game plan was all the grief the coaching staff got the last three games and got away from the "we do what we do" mentality.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    No doubt part of Bellichick's devious master plan to lure us into a false sense of confidence.

I think it was a bit of both A) and B). In addition,

- we can't underestimate how much the Pats drives were hurt by holding calls and false starts, as you say.
    - from memory they ran two gadget plays, and neither seemed to achieve much.
    - Brady seemed to home in on Edelman at the expense of the others. A consequence of pressure?

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Must have let Tomlin & co. in on the double Gronk secret.

• Like Like x 1
  14. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Or they could have, you know, just watched film.

Not sure why they need to bring in someone else for "advice", but this reeks of bad coaching. I fully expect Butler to be gone next year.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We have some bad Coaching and some bad players ..We had a must win game and we used all the smoke and mirrors we had left ...Our D will not pull that off again without new blood ...The O needs to score the ball early and often..

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    From what I can tell, it’s not overly rare to bring in guest coaches every now and then. Though normally in preseason, admittedly.

17. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    All I know is that if the players had avoided terrible mistakes we win that game and the other two we lost in the losing streak. Maybe the gameplans weren't perfect but they were good enough with good execution by the players, which we didn't get. As I said I tend to blame and praise the players on the field more than the coaches.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    The final drive pi$$ed me off. Throwing way down field when all we needed were first downs to run the clock.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    It looked like he was terrified to get hit. Like he would rather chuck it up then take a sack or get hit at all

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This. There have been defensive schemes that players have had no chance to succeed at.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Tomlin, or Belichick, didn't suddenly learn or forget, respectively, how to coach yesterday.

The line between winning and losing in the NFL is a lot thinner than most fans think. There's a reason why only one team has had a perfect season and very few teams have had a winless season. Heck, 12 or 13 wins is a very, very good season in the NFL. In the last five seasons there have only been 10 teams that have won 13 or more games. That's out of 160 team-seasons, so 6.25%.

The players are the best in the world. The coaches are generally at the very top of their chosen profession. It takes only the smallest of non-optimal performances whether that be planning, execution, or whatever to lose.

22. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    He’s always been like that—crumpled in advance of getting hit/wrapped up. Avoids major injuries that way, I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Players play man. It's all about the players. When this team loses, 9 times out of 10 its lack of execution. Not gameplan

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  25. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Exactly all you want from the coaches is to give the players the best chance to succeed. Then it's up to the players.