1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Props to the Steelers defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Dec 16, 2018.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    To hold the Patriots to 10 points is impressive, and to get a redzone int off of Brady :dfense:. I would've liked to see them get more sacks, but they did get Brady to hurry some throws. Also the coaching staff had a good gameplan to contain Gronk, they had some double coverage on him, so he was a nonfactor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Agreed. there were some big drops by the Pats' receivers, but overall, great game. The coverage was excellent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Lions and titans held them to 10 at home too but still nice

41F7ADB8-03F0-4930-92A8-16BDC306D027.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As I said, the defense has the talent. They need to be in position to succeed.

Regardless of the opposing offenses shortcomings, all great defense's have a man behind the proverbial controls who can maximize their personnel's abilities.

That being said, for me, the jury is still out on Keith Butler. Need to see much more of that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    We didn't do what we do this time.:clapping:

• Like Like x 1
  6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The defense held the Patriots to 3 of 10 on third downs, 0 for 3 in the redzone :thumbs_up:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I noticed some Chickillo sightings yesterday vs. Pats. I think it's time Chickillo gets a start.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Patriots only scored 3 points in the second half, Gronk only had 2 catches for 21, I don't think Josh Gordon caught a pass.

9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Steelers lead the league in sacks. I'm just glad we got an INT. Very unlike Brady to make that mistake throwing off his back foot.

But that was a heck of a grab by Haden.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    He had one catch for 19 yards.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That was impressive by Haden because Gronk was trying to knock him out of bounds, and he was still able to get his feet down in bounds.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Pressure is about more than just sacks and forcing errant throws. If I get a chance, I’m going to go back and count the number of pass plays where NE kept either a back or TE in to help with protection when we wer rushing 4. I remember seeing extra guys in protection vs. 4 rushers at least a few times (including Gronk).

13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Robo gronk sucks lol he used to be feared

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    He looked lost Sunday night. Deer in the headlights lost.

15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ditto for me Ask. Jim Herrmann comes in and all of a sudden Butler has the answers? I believe Herrmann had a hand in the win.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Bingo. A lot of people think you have to get a sack to be effective. A QB hurry is often times just as good and in any cases more effective. A sack means the QB didnt throw the ball. A pressure often times means a bad throw and results in a lot of interceptions.

Watt provides good energy and pressure from his side. Dupree needs to pick it up a notch. Good mobile QB's will just slide away from Watt and make the throw. Watt is the best rushing outside linebacker we've had since Greene and Lloyd.

If we can start getting production opposite Watt...whoa...we will be a tough out come playoff time

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well said. Dupree is replaceable. Chickillo as a 6th round pick has more energy.

18. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I would love to know what Bud is actually being asked to do. I mean, we can all speculate, but no one knows for sure. He is an athletic freak who ties up a blocker, sometimes two. I'm not arguing anyone's opinion of how good he is. I think you can make a good argument either way. I suppose I just like him a little better than most and hope it is more about what he is asked to do vs what he is doing.

19. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    TJ had 1 sack in this game and pressured brady through out....Haden led the defense with 8 tackles and of course his one huge interception.....

20. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Bud is a tease. I know why they drafted him. Hell I would to. He sure looks the part doesn't he.

The problem I see with him regardless of scheme is energy.

When the 3-4 is working at it's best is when you have equal production from both outside linebackers with the QB. Tackling stats are nice but really in the 3-4 your outside backers and their sacks/hurries really tell you how good the defense is.

Watt is playing like a crazed animal. His counterpart is more times than not an empty jersey.

You don't have to look to see Watt playing. He jumps out at you right away. Dupree on the other hand you don't see unless specifically looking for him. We need someone playing his spot more ferocious.

If we had someone creating havoc opposite Watt...the secondary just got a whole lot better. If you understand why I'm saying that....The QB can't slide left to escape and will get sacked or be put in a hurried position making a bad throw.

Dupree sure looks the part. Just not seeing a lot of fire.

21. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    If we had someone creating havoc opposite Watt...the secondary just got a whole lot better. If you understand why I'm saying that....The QB can't slide left to escape and will get sacked or be put in a hurried position making a bad throw.

You know, I really do think I understand what you are saying. I had to have help interpreting it, and I found a little league coach to help explain it, but I think I got it. Here is what I struggle with though, if we had the stud every fan wanted at every position, we could never meet the salary cap restrictions, so we have to have some serviceable players mixed in with the studs. I suspect most teams in the NFL have to do the same, but I'm just guessing there. My point was wondering what he is asked to do, now what you think he should be doing. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    If he could only shed a blocker or two. Watt does it with less "freak measurables" & more grit. I like Dupree but he needs to be a sub or package player because we are not getting much from the rolb position.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Dupree is a speed rusher plain and simple. He needs a great get off to create pressure. He is incapable of converting speed to power. He also doesn't have the hand fighting ability to get past his man. It's not what he's being asked to do it's what he has to do because he simply can't win 1on 1. The excuse that he's asked to drop more doesn't hold water because if he was a force off the edge that's what he would be doing.
    I would really like to see Ola dress from here on out and given a legitimate amount of snaps to see what's he can do. He should at least be used as a situational pass rusher.

• Agree Agree x 3