1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Elite Free Safety or Cornerback?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Free Safety

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. Cornerback

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I say get the best possible Free Safety in Free Agency and draft the best possible CB in the first round... and no projects this time. Trade up in the draft if needed. Get a top 3 rated CB in '19 draft.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The real problem is they need help at four positions. They need an edge pass rusher, an inside linebacker, a free safety and a cornerback. They don't need elite players at all four positions, but they definitely need upgrades.

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree... and at least two of those can be had through Free Agency. Steelers also need another RB... either in the draft or FA.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree that they definitely need another running back. I was focusing my previous post on defensive needs only.

The Steelers need to get off their hands in free agency this offseason. They should have cap space carrying over from this year due to Bell's holdout. They are going to have some money to spend and they have to make use of it.

My concern is they may not address all of those positions. For example, they may still think Davis is a viable option at free safety.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

As much as I love Troy, if Elite Free Safeties are difficult to come by, think how difficult it is to find an elite Strong Safety? Those types of players do not come very often. When they do, very seldom do they last on the draft board; Derwin James being the only anomaly.

Moreover to the point, I still believe in Terrell unlike most. There is no telling what his future holds. Let us give him some time. :)

6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I voted FS, we need a ball hawk back there. Someone with ball skills someone who knows how to read the qb’s eyes someone who knows how to bait the qb. We have Haden on one side and he is good as much as I would like another Haden On the other that just don’t happen much. A stud FS will go a long way on this team with this scheme we run.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They spent the first-round pick on him. They need to give him a chance to develop. I still don't think it was a good choice, but he has shown enough to deserve more time to develop.

Strong safety has to be well down the priority list after free safety, cornerback, outside linebacker, inside linebacker and running back. I'd probably draft another receiver before I went back to strong safety. Going forward, I certainly have more faith in Edmunds than I do in Washington.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Free safety. I haven’t looked to see which free safeties are hitting free agency this year, but I would make that job #1 in free agency. You can get a top tier safety for a lot less than a top tier corner, and I think the top tier safety helps you in more ways than the corner. That, and Davis is just an awful football player IMO. The antithesis of a playmaker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Corner over safety. We drafted 2 safeties last year and 1 the year before that. Also brought in a veteran strong safety.

Mostly I think there is a need for an elite passrusher to offset TJ. After that focus on corner.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I was not referring to the Steelers when I stated "they."

When I stated "they", I meant those Elite Strong Safety prospects.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Unless you want to opt to change Ronald Darby into a Free Safety or bank on Earl Thomas there really is not any. There is zero guarantee that Earl will be the same. Ronald can recover from his ACL in time but how soon can he pick up the Free Safety position? It is difficult to say.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ha Ha is an above average FS, and is scheduled to be a UFA. Tyrann Mathieu is a do-it-all back end defender who is scheduled to be a UFA.

13. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup, agreed, corner for two reasons:

1) We have two young safeties that are still growing. Let them round into shape I think they’ll be just fine.

2) You have an elite corner that can take away the #1 read you start the play ahead of the pack. You get a Patrick Peterson-type and suddenly your #2 becomes Joe Haden and you start to see Sean Davis make more plays knowing the two corners got their stuff handled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This, they haven't had a really good corner since Ike. He had hands of stone but could cover the other teams best.

Good to see you GB!

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We need both. Should have the cap room to do something.

16. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well after taking a quick look at the available FA's we are better off going S then CB. The market at CB is real bad this year: Rowe, Roby, Claiborne, Melvin, Verrett, Darby(injury), Dennard, Gaines, Maxwell & Davis. As compared to S: Thomas, Collins, Ha Ha, Joyner, Amos, Mathieu, Gilchrist, Ward, Jackson & Boston.

I know we drafted 2 S last year and the one before that but quantity don't equal quality. Plus what I saw from Burnett he has earn and all expense trip to cutsville!!!!!! At this point we are in a small window to win get a vet in here and maybe teach these young guys. IMO lets grab a CB or two in the draft and not a 5th round guy either. I am not talking about drafting one in the first that may be a reach but make it a priority.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    When I wrote they, I was referring to the Steelers. What's your point?

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Ha Ha has not fared well in Washington. If anything:

Now, I do believe a change of scenery would benefit Ha Ha greatly. That being said, I seriously hope Keith Butler is not the one painting the proverbial landscape.

19. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Oh my...please don't spew the Tomlin hooked on phonics adjectives. Oh please dear lord no. It's bad evough listening to the gibberish.

20. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    A big time saftey. Greater impact to the defense as a whole.

21. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Unless you are Keith Butler, he somehow thinks it is illegal to double cover their best weapon, or only weapon.

22. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
  23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Obviously we could use both. With all the safeties we have on the roster ,not one is a legitimate FS. It shows every time the ball is thrown down the field.

• Agree Agree x 1