1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Tomlin ?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by djac111, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is an argument that somehow the Steelers' mistake was somehow worse than others that passed on Brady that year.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    john fox as HC. bring back dom capers as DC. retain fichtner and munchak and the DB and DL coach as well as RB, WR and TE coach daniels. fire the rest and hire some good quality control coaches to help game plan against the other teams. i think fox and capers could do a good job with a stable org. like the steelers. JMO. :cool:

3. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Not with the Rooneys they provide a sanctuary.

4. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018

5. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    It does not matter who we lost Tomlin has been incompetent for years. Worst record against under 500 teams in history of NFL losing playoff record in last 7 years just sayin wouldn’t mind seeing him gone.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Marty never got his team to a Super Bowl :shrug:

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah and Joe Gibbs won 3 Super Bowls, with 3 different QBs none of them are Hall Of Fame QBs either.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

New England also had some serious "assistance" along with their dynasty during the 2000s if I recall.

9. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    The people that want Mike Tomlin to be fired are either too emotional and caught up in the moment or dislikes him for whatever reason. So far in his career, he has been to 2 Super bowls in 2008, and 2010. He won one in 2008. He has a 65% win percentage in the regular season. A 53% win percentage in the playoffs. 7 division titles. And never had a losing season so far. And if you think those things are not important, go ask Jaguars, Jets, Browns, Buccanears, Raiders, Bengals, Dolphins, Lions, Redskins, Titans, Cowboys, Cardinals fans if they wished their team had that. Lmao

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  10. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Can you hook me up with a link to that stat?

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't know about that stat but here's one. Since 2007 road teams favored by 9 or more points are 52-15 guess who has 5 of those losses

13. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Well how many of those coaches had a franchise QB from the start? The Cardinals got one for 2 seasons and one of those they went to, and nearly won, a SB. The Cowboys went to a SB with Switzer who then stepped down when he saw the ship was beginning to take on water.

How about the Colts, what has happened to the coaches who looked great with P. Manning at QB when P. Manning was done? From 14-2 to 2-14 and that is what will happen to Tomlin when Ben hangs it up because the man isn't good enough to scheme like a Matt Nagy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    They made everybody look silly including themselves. If they had any inkling of who he’d become, they never would have waited for pick 199 to draft him.

15. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I hear you ... but, those two superbowl appearances were with cowher players and cowher staff. We wouldve won more if we were able to hold on to the wiz and Grimm. Tomlins strength lies with his assistants. He will make a trick play call every now and then. But, his coaches are expected to have the guys ready game time. This is why I call for the assistants to go rather then Tomlin. Ben, ward, and that defense got us to those championships. As cowher players started to retired or get cut ... so did the chances of getting to the superbowl. After, 11yrs of drafting, we still have only a handful of starters and only 3 on our entire defense

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    How do you know what type of success or failure Mike Tomlin will have as a coach whenever Ben Roethlisberger decides to retire? That is too much of a reach.

17. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    In my opinion, the Steelers defense have not been lights out great since 2011. After that season, James Farrior and Aaron Smith retired. William Gay signed with the Cardinals. So the defense took a step back. And a lot of people keep saying that Mike Tomlin was successful with Bill Cowher's team. During Ben Roethlisberger's era with the Steelers from 2004 to now, the Steelers went to one and won a Superbowl in 2005 under Bill Cowher. The Steelers went to 2 Superbowls in 2008 and 2010 and won in 2008 under Mike Tomlin. And I think that 2008 Steelers defense is in the top 10 of greatest NFL defense's of all time. For Mike Tomlin to go to 2 Superbowls in his first 4 years as a head coach is great. And for him to win a Superbowl in his 2nd year as a head coach is amazing. So just because a coach takes over a team and the team is mostly established already, it's not fair to not credit that new coach for continuing the success of that franchise. Wins are not guaranteed in sports. You still have to be able to coach and overcome injuries. Just having a talented team is not enough.

18. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It's mostly this.

I agree with you here. It comes down to Tomlin not being Belichick. That's really the only thing that can be held over Tomlin... and 30 other head coaches. :lolol:

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  19. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    These teams don’t have the talent we do/did though . Nor are they really expected to have the same success as this organization
    Like I said in another thread ,it sure would be interesting to see Tomlin on a less talented team than ours . How do you think he does? His regular season record here was achieved because of the future HOFers we have on offense and defense
    I think we won a lot in spite of Tomlin

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    But, dont you see, that it was not only the players but the staff as well. Ben, Ward, Holmes and that awesome defense that won those championships. Do you remember the clip when Tomlin leaned over to arians and said " how about a score here" and before he could he finish ... we had scored and arians threw his arms up celebrating (sarcastically) walked away from Tomlin like he wasn't even there.
    Gruden won a superbowl with Dungy's team .... Switzer won one Jimmy's team ... Tomlin won one with Cowhers team. Just a few examples ... lol

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yes. But since 2010, he's 3-5 in the postseason with 2 of those seasons, his squad finished 8-8 and didnt make playoffs. Considering the amount of talent including a future HOFer QB, Tomlin is grossly underachieving in my book. He can't beat the Pats and continues to get owned by basement dwellers like the raiders. Tomlin's welcome has worn out in Pittsburgh and it is time for him to go pursue his life's work somewhere else.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  22. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    You said that the Steelers can't beat the Patriots. You are right. But not a lot of teams can beat the Patriots. Lol

23. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Their team? The last I checked, Bill Cowher don't get credit for the Steelers winning a Superbowl in 2008 and going to another one in 2010. Tony Dungy did not take the Buccanears to the Superbowl in 2002. It was Jon Gruden. Tony Dungy was a damn good coach. But it's not fair to take away what Jon Gruden did. Tony did not coach the Buccanears to any championships when he was there. It was Jon that did that. The same with Mike Tomlin. Bill Cowher stopped coaching the Steelers after the 2006 season. Any success since then has been under Mike. And Bill Cowher was a damn good coach also. But let's be fair.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    You really think the Steelers have consistently had a winning record or an even record since 2007, went to 2 Super bowls, won a championship, and only missed the playoffs 3 out of the 11 completed seasons in spite of Mike Tomlin?????? Lmaooooooo

25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    There's an old saying, past success doesn't guarantee future results. It applies to coaching too.

• Agree Agree x 1