1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Gunslinger

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Great read about Ben.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    One thing Haley did teach Ben that BA becer did was to check down. That has made him a better gunslinger. It hasn’t helped the interceptions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Gunslingers also shoot themselves in the foot a lot too I bet

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    His interceptions are maddening but thats the point, take the good with the bad and there is far more good than bad.

I've been tough on Ben this year, this article made me take a step back and appreciate what we have.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    The biggest problem is he practices against our DB's and when its game time he's going against quality DB's and that chit comes back to haunt us at the end.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    perhaps we should hire the best local Pittsburgh high school team to practice against then :hehehe:

7. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Let the scout defense have an extra DB!

8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I figure Ben has cost us one maybe two games with his int's so far this year. Who needs a gunslinger when the losses directly causes you from the playoffs? Many pic's are just pathetic throws that have no business being thrown. I like Ben but I see what I see and Im sticking to it.

9. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    It is quite possible he has lost a game or two by his bad decisions that led to interceptions but he by far beats the alternative choices and without him we might be looking at 3 or 4 wins.I’ll take Ben the gunslinger any day!

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed. He wins them far more games than he loses.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I guess my question is why does it have to be either Ben or some other crappy QB? Why not a more intelligent Ben that doesn't throw as many dumb picks that hurt us. That's my preference.

Players can always improve if they want to and they work at it. I really get the feeling that Ben has little interest in evolving whatsoever.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I feel the same way Blast, you take the good with the bad when it comes to Ben. However I am not taking a step back I support Ben fully however these "dumb" int's are the one that make you go wow. You know the ones that you by the goal line and you throw right to the defender. Those are the ones where I have a hard time with Ben cause he is so good cause he is so experienced. Like you said he has won a heck of a lot more than he has lost for us. It all starts at the QB position and we have a good one, but at times we have a bad one as well. Good article man thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    for comparison sake Terry Bradshaw had 212 TDs and 210 ints. He only had a 52 percent completion percentage. Ben has thrown 357 TDs and 187 ints. Yes I realize the game has changed. Having said that I have no clue how last year a guy with his experience throws the dumbest INT I have ever seen on the goal line against the Pats after James' catch was ruled not a catch. Or how he hits a defensive lineman in the gut with a pass on the goal line that, had the lineman not intercepted it, the defensive back in the back of the end zone covering AB would have. No clue. none. It is absolutely baffling that this Hall of Fame QB can make those throws with the game on the line. It's certainly not boring

14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Defense puts him into a bad position where he has to play more aggressively which in turn causes him to take riskier low percentage throws.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He does it when we are ahead as well.

He’s equal opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Bradshaw was erratic at times. But when you have a defense with multiple first ballot hall of famers you can get away with it. Ben does not.

17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    At this point of his career it is a love/hate relationship.

18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I agree I said times change. Just because Terry could get away with it doesn't impact the stat itself. It's sill a valid comparison. So I don't disagree with you but it amounts to a very good defense being able to bail out Bradshaw. Give Ben that defense and things would be different as well. We have the defense we have because of horrendous decisions made by this team on who to draft and who to pick up in FA. How big of a reach was Edmunds in the first round? That's my point. Straight up stats you'd have to say Ben was the better QB but he has not had the success of Bradshaw in Super Bowls. He still has two which is way beyond most of the QBs in the league. Imagine if Tomlin could find someone to run a good defense and pick some guys that could play. Watt turned out great. Dupree has finally played at least at a decent level this year but that backfield. Burnett? Burns? Davis? horrible. Yet there we go. So against the Pats you put everyone on a man and hope they can at least understand who they have to cover. I'm not counting on that though. You HAVE to pressure Brady. All out blitzes, all out pressure. If not he puts up 40 on this defense.

19. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    I used to think this way. Good with the bad. More good than bad.

Present day not so much.

Ben has got into a horrible habit of standing flat footed while scanning the field. Often times resulting in a terribly underthrown ball because now about 25 percent of his throws are lazy off the back foot.

We used to have to deal with his once in a while mental goofs and bad throws.

Now we still have to deal with the mental breakdown bad throw along with this new terrible habit of literally being a statue and throwing off the back foot.

Sadly nobody has the balls to tell him otherwise.

Bunch of cowardly pussy coaches only worried about being their buddy more than coaching.

20. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Ben is the Greatest or barely Avg on any given Sunday!!! I've every game over the last several years and some games I'm begging to see Landry come in and other games he's the best QB in the NFL......

I lost a lot respect for him knowing and watching him standing on the sideline watching Dobbs. " I was waiting for coach to tell me to go in"!!!

A true "gunslinger " would have been next to "coach" worrying the crap out of him about going back in!!!!

Cajun

21. blackNgold

blackNgold Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2014
    We wouldn’t want our defense thinking there are ghost players to on the field!

22. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Isn't that our scout defense we keep trotting on the field each week???

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Please let him play out his contract, I think next year it is up
    and let him ride out into the sunset.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Be careful what you wish for many teams are trying to find a franchise QB it isn't easy. Heck we all saw last week how it might end up once Dobbs came in. I have been there with you I have been the guy ready to jump off the Ben bandwagon but after what I saw last week I am not ready to see Ben go. I am willing to accept the good/bad Ben knowing that at any time he can be the best in the business....we didn't see that in Dobbs last week and we have no clue what Mason has for us but I am not ready to find out with the possibility of our offense falling flat on it's face without Ben. Not ready to trade everything in off one good throw in crunch time a few games ago from Dobbs. jmo

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

My friend you have to weigh the the good and the bad. I don't think the Rooneys
    will want to tie up alot of cap space on a beat up 36 year old.But hey to each his own. What has he done this year?
    We are fighting for our lives for a playoff spot, that unfortunately Baltimore is going to get.