1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers are better off not making the playoffs this year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Dec 9, 2018.

1. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Love Clint. Clint Eastwood for head coach.

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    And this would be the setting at his Head Coach press conference announcement talking about his predecessor ;): upload_2018-12-10_9-42-31.jpeg

3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Agree, he did continue the good use and effectiveness of the screen pass (as did Bell and Conner) but as a complete running back where All-Purpose Yards are the contemporary method of grading a running back, both he and Ridley are seriously lacking. To be fair, it took this OL time to adjust to JC's straight ahead style vs LB's studder/hesitate style. Unfortunately there's little time left to re-train the OL and/or RBs. Maybe the Mustard Man is correct: "We are doomed!"

4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I think the Steelers could still get the same production in the aggregate with Conner, Samuel as the 3rd down back, and speed back, as they did with LB. Teams are proving they can be successful with a #1 stud, Elloitt, Barkley, Gurley, etc., or via by committee, New Orleans, New England, Chicago. As long as the speed guy isn't another Dre' Archer, I would like to see more money invested on the D. Chicago and Dallas are proving defense can still be a part of a winning formula, but teams still need competent passing games.

5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    In hindsight, Dre Archer was supposed to be the first coming of Tarik Cohen. Never quite materialized unfortunately. Cohen is amazing.

6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Chicago has matt nagy who imo is coaching better than anyone right now. I love mcvay but nagy is doing more with less. And in NO they are just fortunate to have two studs. Both kamara and ingram are pro bowl backs. I think kamara is the elite one though he is special. And the pats and how they do things cant be replicated.

7. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I might agree on Samuels but I still think we need to see a bit more. As far as Dobbs goes, I'm not willing to bail on him after one appearance that he probably wasn't that prepared for. And I am more on board with Mason Rudolph than Dobbs so you know I am not just a Dobbs guy saying this.

8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The people that believe in this type of philosophy are quitters. The day the people that run and coach the team start to believe in this philosophy is the day the owners should sell the team and the coaches should get out of coaching.

9. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    In fairness, he's done pretty well at other positions. Wide receiver especially. I just think we may need to go the free agent route for defensive backs to get proven guys instead of gambling on potential. With the new rules, it may very well be the hardest position to play and/or evaluate.

10. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think Samuels could do fine as a change of pace back. He’s not ready to be the feature back. But his contributions as a receiver have earned him more snaps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Burns was a raw project, Davis was a corner/safety and Edmonds is a safety hybrid linebacker . So far none are making much of an impact although its a small sample size for Edmonds.

There are plenty of corners and safetys playing better then these guys who were drafted in later rounds. So is the idea of picking projects wrong or is it bad coaching that has not improved these young guys.

Burns played better in his first year, now he can't even get on the field and when he does he gets a PI or is beaten by a near 40 yr old TE.

Burns is now a complete mess whether they have confused him or can't figure out how to use him I don t know but people say his confidence is gone.

Someone has to be held accountable when a first rd pick is now a total liability, I can't blame Burns that's just too easy.

Lets make a list of recent DB's drafted in mid rounds that were coached up and had decent carreers. I am going to say it is a short list.

As bad as this defense is right now not one coach on defense should be here next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Should have moved DHB to Safety years ago..He could have learned the position very well by now, and at least we would have the option to adjust and play some single high looks...

Our scouts have proved they can't draft DB'S so we might as well try converting players to the position... Our talent level is so low raw skill would more than likely do better meaning just Bigger ,Faster, and Stronger even with minimal or no experience...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Welcome back, @PWP!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Draft position is meaningless. We got studs in Heyward, DeCastro, etc in the later end of the first. Bell and JuJu are second rounders... we took Jarvis Jones at 15. It only matters if we’re trying to get a QB.

Saying we’re better off losing instead of winning is a “loser’s” mentality reserved for the soft, weak, and the irrational.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Play Dobbs all year. You'll get what you wish for lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yeah the reality is there are plenty of busts that have been picked in the top 15 over the years. To have a loser's mentality is never the correct mindset IMO.

Take what you get and go with it. Strive to win every week.

• Like Like x 1
  18. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Serious question... Are there examples of receivers either in college or in the NFL who haveade that transition? To safety or corner?

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Draft position does matter, perfect example Vander Esch is what the Steelers needed he went in the top 20, instead they draft a raw Edmunds in the late twenties.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nolan Carroll , Richard Sherman ,

Most recent and best is Richard Sherman . Nollan Carrol. The Steelers had a WR a few seasons back now playing CB for another Team...As you see more and more spread more and more Offensive players will be converted..

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Darius Leonard was there and he has already turned into a stud for the Colts. He was higher on most draft boards than Edmunds and he was available to the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    What are you changing the pace to with Samuels? Slow?

Samuels lacks explosion and wiggle. He has power once he gets going, but he doesn't get up to speed and through the hole quickly enough.

23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Draft is overrated. How many busts have we had in the first round with the defense? The draft is just another NFL cash cow that is hyped up for ratings. The best players seem to come from later round or not even drafted. AB, Brady, Harrison, etc. etc. etc. Win now and forget about draft position as it won't make that big of a difference IMO.

24. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Cameron Hayward and Joe Haden have been good. It's the majority of the secondary that gives the fans cause for concern. The coverage is weak. Miscommunication on defense. Can't force turnovers. And the amount of times that the Steelers could have played better defense in the red zone on passing plays are just depressing.

25. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Vander Esch could’ve turned into a bum too. You never know. Guys bust all the time, and there are always impact players available late first all the way thru the mid rounds (hell sometimes even in the late rounds as rare as it is). You’d have to be picking too 5-10 for draft position to really matter that much.