1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin as head coach

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    I think if Tomlin does not have Big Ben for his career he is well under 500 as a HC. Just sayin I have no stats or games played without Ben but I really don’t think he’ would win without him. And that’s because his in game preparation lacks detail he refuses to learn from mistakes, and most of all he’s to nice. He is a cool dude man I think he’s crazy smart and I think he knows football for sure he’s just to nice and often stubborn. I do hope he gets another title though with us or somewhere else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    First 4 games of the 2010 season, Tomlin went 3-1 with backup QBs... because Roethlisberger was suspended. By far... his best coaching to date. It's been a steady downhill decline ever since SBXLV.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Crazy smart?

N
    O!!!!!!!!!!!

He is not very bright.

Let's say he really does want to win which I'm sure he does.

If that's the case then explain how he handles the clock near the end of games.

This has nothing to do with stubbornness. It's intelligence or not.

He's a defensive guy...or so they claim.

He used to be a secondary position coach.

That being the case how embarrassing to have a secondary playing like a Chinese fire drill all the time.

I can give you a laundry list of reasons why he's not very bright

4. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Saying Tomlin wouldn't have the same results without Ben is the captain obvious statement of the year. I think if u put Todd Bowles with this team he'd have the same results as tomlin

5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    What coach wins without good/great players? Some fans don't have any common sense.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Assuming Mason Rudolph does not develop as expected and if Keith Butler is still here, I would concur. For that matter, having Butler here alone stymies any remaining trust Tomlin has with the Rooney's.

Outside of that though, way too early for such a "Armageddon After Big Ben" scenario to surface. Plenty can happen now and then. None of us know what the future holds anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    And every single item on your list would be wrong. A person that questions his intelligence is lacking themselves.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Tomlin is a successful coach. Has we won more with Ben than if he didn’t have him? Absolutely. Most coaches with 120+ wins have a quarterback or two tied to them.

There are also great quarterbacks who are on teams that don’t win. Football is the ultimate team game. You could just as easily argue that Ben wouldn’t have as many wins without Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Mike Tomlin has his flaws. His clock management is trash at times. I been saying that quite often. But to say Mike Tomlin would have a win percentage under 500 in his career without Ben Roethlisberger does not make sense. Let's say Mike Tomlin got another head coaching job in the NFL in 2007, instead of coming to Pittsburgh. We don't know what type of quarterback Mike Tomlin would have had on his roster, as well as what type of running back, wide receiver, linebacker, etc, so people can't assume how someone's head coaching career would have or would not have gone depending on the type of players they would have had. You can have a great talented sports team, and have to deal with a lot of injuries. And by the logic that Mike would not have been successful if he did not have Big Ben as his quarterback for his coaching career, then I can say Bill Belichick is nothing without Tom Brady. Sean Payton is nothing without Drew Brees. And Tony Dungy was nothing without Peyton Manning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Captain Obvious :shrug:, Belichick got fired in Cleveland, guess what he didn't have Tom Brady.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    ....and much of a chance. I don't know the exact details but I heard there were circumstances related to his release that weren't due to his early lack of success.

12. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Here's my Big Ben Hotness bad dream scenario: What if Modell had realized that Belichek was a hall of fame coach and kept him with the move to Baltimore? He still drafts Brady as a 6th rounder for Baltimore (who needs Dilfer). Would Brady have dominated the Steelers like he has twice a year, instead of every other year? Would the Steelers have added 2 rings? Would it be the Ravens with 5 or more Super Bowl rings instead of the Patriots?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Nightmare lol

14. Xcursion88

Dec 10, 2018
    Well now....do we care his marks in grammar school? Nope. You might but I sure don't.

Do we care his intelligence managing a team we root for? Maybe you don't but I sure do.

The big one.....during his tenure which is significant now....I'm asking you..

Do you think he's managing games in an intelligent manor? Do you feel he's on top of the moment and has total control of the game? Do you feel he's handling being the head coach in an intelligent manor? His specialty is defense. In particular the secondary. That's where he cut his coaching teeth. No matter the personel don't you think we'd have at least a respectable secondary?

I could go on and on but I echo again....i don't care his IQ...is he intelligent in being the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers? My answer to that is definitely not.

15. Xcursion88

Dec 10, 2018
    And you could also say this....forget Ben a second. The Steelers are the ultimate NFL model franchise.

If Tomlin was anywhere but
    here is he a .500 coach?

Marvin Lewis....what's his record if he was the coach here? Bruce Ariens...Ken Wisenhunt....Jason Garrett...Rex Ryan

Don't laugh because that's a legit question.

Would they have won a super bowl? A couple of them?

The Steelers do a lot of good to make coaching a more pro success kind of environment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    You have a point. We will never know. Let's say we swap Mike Tomlin with Marvin Lewis, maybe the Steelers are still having winning seasons, and the Bengals are still an up and down franchise. Or maybe Mike Tomlin turns the Bengals into a contending team and Marvin Lewis turns the Steelers into a joke of a franchise. Factor in having a different head coach, means different defensive and offensive schemes. Different types of trades. Different draft pick selections. We don't know what would have happened. We are only assuming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Xcursion88

Dec 10, 2018
    Exactly.

All we know is what Tomlin, Cowher and Noll can and have done HERE.

It might be telling that Cowher has never taken a second head coaching job. Perhaps he knows now from his analyst perspective just how good it is to work for the Rooney's.

I would be willing to bet that the names I mentioned ( no I'm not a fan of any of those coaches) would have had more success being the HC for the Steelers than the places they're at or have been.

• Agree Agree x 1