1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dobbs doesn't have the "it" factor

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Dec 11, 2018.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Since we have not given Rudolph his shot yet I'm hoping he is the answer. I love all Ben has done for this organization and will miss him but he is not taking us to #7. My fear is he hangs around for a few more 8-9 win seasons.

2. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    He's not a starting QB....but your assessment on the IT factor based on a tiny wee example so far is immature at best.

On the arm issue...

Two throws..over the middle...the ball was way too high, fluttering, with no velocity.

That throw has to be made with velocity and can't have a trajectory.

The fact that you think his arm is good enough should disqualify anything else you say on the matter.

It has to do with the arm angle and release.

Echo again...Kordell could heave the ball 75 yards. A deep out or in with high velocity no.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Before Sunday's game, he had exactly one meaningful snap in an NFL game. Some of you are way too desperate to cling to that one throw as evidence.

Your claim regarding the Steelers' offense when Roethlisberger was playing is also inaccurate. In the first half Sunday, the Steelers had four possessions with Roethlisberger at quarterback. The first ended in a punt. The second and fourth ended in touchdowns. The third ended in a missed field goal. So you had three consecutive drives on which the offense did its job, but you think they were badly out of sync. Imagine what they would have done to the Raiders if they had been in sync!

4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Not having time is an issue for all QBs. That is related to being one dimensional in the passing game.

It's really hard to defend Dobbs who had a 12.0 passer rating against the Raiders completing 44% of passes, and currently has a career passer rating of 24.0

In contrast, Jones has a career 86.2 passer rating. If Jones is still looking for a job next year, I'd be willing to try him out again with potential to sign him for the bare minimum for depth if it's clear Dobbs doesn't have it to play in this league.

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't know what game you were watching, but the offense didn't look anything like it did vs. Panthers and 1st half of Bucs game. That is the kind of production that should be expected for a division leading team with a good offense vs. a 2-10 team. It wasn't anywhere close.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's true. Stewart also had no pocket presence at all. Sure, he could take off and make a play if you let him, but couldn't sense pressure and rarely moved to buy time to throw.

Dobbs might have better presence, but the arm on out routes isn't good enough and neither is the decision-making.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I doubt they would bring Jones back at this point, but he definitely was a better option to be the No. 2 quarterback this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    In four possessions, they scored two touchdowns and drove into easy field goal range once. That is not badly out of sync. There is plenty of ground between badly out of sync and dominant like they were against the Panthers.

9. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Dobbs will never be a successful starting QB in this league. He has the legs to move around, but he totally lacks the arm necessary make throws. He can throw a screen throw deep (kinda) that is it. This last pre-season I was in Green Bay and got to see Dobbs in person. It isn't until you see it in person, you can't really appreciate how SLOW his throw is. Anything 10+ yards down field is a rainbow with no zip.

I can't really speak for Rudolph yet as we haven't seen enough of him. I will say his arm is leaps and bounds better than Dobbs though.

10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Kordell had a number of passes thrown with high velocity to Hines Ward. Usually they were off target and leading Ward into a safety, but he'd catch it. So not sure where you were for those games unable to see the obvious.

As for Dobbs, as pointed out his issue has been his accuracy not his arm strength. The issue is his decision abilities. That's what this thread is talking about not his arm strength.

And yes your capability to throw the football down the field is positively correlated with your ability to zip a football to target. Doesn't take a physics major to figure that one out.

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/dobbs-doesnt-have-the-it-factor.21196/#post-634778

It is his decision making ability and accuracy.

5:19 >> throws it too late out of the break >> could have been Brett Farve and this pass would have been too late.

5:40 >> Throws it HIGH to Ju Ju Smith Shuster.
    Arm velocity was sufficient.

6:08 >> Throws to a covered VAnce McDonald on a crossing route on 4th down before the first down marker. Read poor decision making.

7:22 >> post route to AB. Throws to a COVERED AB. Fine velocity. POOR ACCURACY. Poor DECISION MAKING to go to a covered WR. INTERCEPTED

7:55 >> Out route thrown with POOR ACCURACY to the receiver as opposed to his outside shoulder. Arm velocity was fine. Placement was not fine. Poor timing also. The ball needs to be out before the break.

So yeah you're wrong. You're not the only Steeler fan making **** up though lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
  12. Xcursion88

Dec 10, 2018
    Where was I? Involved within the game a long time not some ****ing computer nerd copying and pasting things from google.

You have no idea WTF you are talking about. Absolutely zero.

You are a typical internet expert that is lost without something on text telling you so.

There are many different things that go into throwing a football, none of which you seem to understand without the internet. In the real world however of actually throwing a football..things change.

Dobbs delivery of the football on the NFL throw which I've described numerous times is not thrown with enough velocity. The ball flutters, and sails. Now what does this have to do with? Release point? Thriwing off back foot. Not finishing down on the follow through? Not stepping into the throw? Or....ready for this....the natural range of motion of his arm. Which the last thing you won't find text on but is a very real thing.
    Would you teach someone to throw like Philip Rivers? No. But why does he release the ball like that? It's what feels natural for him.
    What feels natural to Dobbs may get him a 65 yard long arching pass...which just fits how his particular range of motion for him which feels natural. A 25 yard strike that cant have a trajectory to it eludes him because of how he delivers the ball.

Lastly....your prediction about him not having the IT factor is the most immature thing I've seen on here. Utterly ridiculous to say such garbage about a player with a tiny amount of playing time.

You seem way too immature to know Terry Bradshaw but good god man...if you ever seen him play in his earlier days you'd be saying he doesn't have the IT factor. Terry was bad early on but nobody could determine if he had IT or not because it was still so early in a career....an early career that was a lot longer than a handful of snaps he's played this year.

Your thinking...if they don't got it in their first couple of games then piss on them. Geez we'd never field a team if the brass thought that way. Thankfully the powers that be are older than junior high age.

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This is what I've been saying. It's way too early to give up on Dobbs. There's not enough tape on him. I was the biggest Mason Rudolph fan on this board until the last preseason game. Dobbs played great with a bunch of scrubs... made good throws and looked like a competent NFL QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    JuJu deserves the credit for the last TD of the first half. Ben made two poor throws on consecutive plays that should have been easy TDS. JuJu bailed him out on the second one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    A man with nothing to say resorts to insults

Congratulations you won the prize!

I am waiting for any evidence that you know what you are talking about. I provided mine.

All of your points have been disproven. I'm making my prediction based upon what I've seen on tape up to this day.

So don't get your panties all in a bundle. Or do I don't care.

I get a kick out of people that act all tough but are proved they have no clue what they are talking about.

Have a nice day. Or not. I will be.

16. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    People are being awfully harsh on a player that has limited experience that probably didn't receive a lot of snaps in practice. The offense was limited with Dobbs. To make matter worse is that the Steelers were down to what they thought would be their 3rd string RB. There was very little threat of the run.

Maybe if Dobbs had more experience and a full week of preparation he might had played better? Only time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Seriously? Your using his career passing rating after 10 passes....lol. In contrast LJ is out of the league and Dobbs beat him out fair and square to become the back up on a team with championship aspirations....at least before the season. LJ = Bum

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think people are trying too hard to save face after being spectacularly wrong back in camp.

Drawing conclusions after 9 pass attempts is about as knee jerk reaction as you will see.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Obviously ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's false.

Kordell could throw the hell out of it. He just wasn't good at reading the whole field. At his most successful, they had him limited to half a field and then run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    1/2 of play and your ready to form an opinion? I never thought Dobbs
    would be an NFL starting QB, but I think with continued work he will
    be a fine back up QB. Remember when the season starts the starters get
    most of the reps in practice. He needs to knock off the rust.But no time to knock it off.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Landry Jones would've led the offense to some points in the Raiders game, unlike Dobbs :shrug:.

23. Xcursion88

Dec 10, 2018
    The deep over the middle throw Kordell did NOT throw lasers. He could throw it out of the stadium...but a frozen rope he could not. The ball would sail on him.

Trust me when I tell you...he could not make that throw.

You want example....

Remember good old Kent Graham?

The year was 2000....the very first thing and most glaring noticed was the deep out and deep in pass was being delivered much more crisp.

Kent couldn't throw it as far as Stewart but that 20-25 yard pass that needs to be on a line he could throw better.

24. Xcursion88

Dec 10, 2018
    Insults? You are burning the ears off Dobbs and apparently have some clairvoyance on him having the "IT" factor.

Absolutely incredible you can predict his fate on such a tiny wee bit of playing time.

Hell the Steelers definitely need to get a hold of you and whatever device you are using for google at the time so you can help them draft players with the "IT" factor. That way they don't even need a preseason, a depth chart...to hell with practice too.

I know a great deal about this game and one thing I can tell you in all certainty...there is no way you can tell who has "IT" and who doesn't from....

A kneel down agaisnt the Falcons...

One play against the Ravens...(22 yard completion)

Going 4-9 for 24 yards and one interception against the Raiders....

And.........

Well there is no and.

That's the playing extent of one Joshua Dobbs in the NFL so far.

6-12 for 43 yards with 1 interception.
    Age 23

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If anything, Sunday's game showed that the people who thought it was a good idea to use Dobbs as the No. 2 quarterback are the ones who were spectacularly wrong.