1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Backs Against the Wall

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by rukus4ever, Dec 12, 2018.

1. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This is it.

There's little-to-no room for error.

Not if they want to make the playoffs.

They should have been 3-0 over the last three games. It would have been understandable if they went 2-1. However, that's not the case. Without even going 1-3 over those last three games, the Steelers are barely leading the AFC North. But, they are leading, nonetheless.

Here's how I see it: The past is just that. There is no choice but to accept what has happened and move forward.

The Steelers have been underperforming in all phases, and nobody is without blame. That's why it's called a team.

Now, as a team, they are backed up against a wall.

1) They have a slight edge in record compared to their divisional competition, the Ravens.
    2) They are facing their AFC nemesis, one of the hottest teams in the NFL right now, and a division rival looking to spoil in the final week.
    3) The offense and defense cannot stay in step (meaning defensive stops of opposing team drives followed immediately by offensive scoring on multiple possessions; specifically in the 2nd half to protect/extend leads).
    4) The kicker's head is on Mars, or something.
    5) Coaching is still struggling with clock management in tight games; among other things.
    6) The offense is still turning the ball over (they need consecutive games with no turnovers).
    7) The defense struggles to force turnovers and misses opportunities to take the ball away (there have been several missed opportunities for INTs; Haden against Chargers and Hilton against Raiders come to mind).

The question is simply this: Will they find a way to come together as a team, tighten up planning, strategy, communication and execution to run the three-game gauntlet that begins this Sunday?

They obviously have the ability to do so when looking at the impressive win streak they rallied to, mid-season. Especially given their impressive performance against Carolina.

I believe they will. I have been calling for them to beat the Patriots this year. And one thing is certain: They will have to defeat at least two of the next three opponents to sniff the playoffs.

I hope you all enjoy the game on Sunday.

Believe.

Go Steelers! :herewego:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I had this as an automatic loss earlier but given the circumstances we win 7 straight. Why? Because we have to... so we can prevent Dallas from tying us lmao.

• Like Like x 1
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I look at it this way the Steelers have one win against an above .500 team.

If your going to the playoffs your going to play teams like the Chargers, Chiefs. They lost to both those teams, given they were both one score losses. They are losses.

They had no business at all, losing to the Raiders, but once again did. Give me a healthy Big Ben, and James Conner for 60 minutes in that contest and we emerge with a W.

If the Steelers can win the next two weeks, and beat two Super Bowl contending teams. They will have earned my trust to perhaps that maybe they can compete and actually do something in the playoffs. If they can't beat them, then A.) They don't deserve to be in them and B.) Won't be able to do anything against them a 2nd go around.

This week in key. No team the last 17 years has had the Steelers number like the Patriots of had. Should they finally beat them, I think it would go a long way is restoring some confidence that they can indeed beat a good team. Winning isn't easy in the NFL, the Steelers did string 6 of them in a row earlier this season. They need find a way to go to it again if they want to be in the Super Bowl.

If you can't beat premier teams, you can't win a championship. Plain and simple.

The 2018 Steelers can still write their story, what will their story be?

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I don't think the Cowboys have enough O yet to win a Super Bowl. Great defense... I'm jealous... but I don't see them beating the Saints in NO or the Rams in LA.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    saints if they get HFA would be a tough out. Brees is fantastic there and their defense already surpassed ours as they got better throughout the year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Keep in mind about this game with the Saints before everybody pencils it in as an automatic loss they have to play on the road Monday night in Carolina against a physical defense and a desperate Panthers team still clinging to get that final wildcard spot in the NFC. So that’s going to be a tough deal for the Saints to play the Panthers on the road and get back to New Orleans early Tuesday morning and then turn back around just about 5 days later and have to prepare and play a Steelers team that will be desperate for a win to either try and maybe clinch their division or keep their playoff hopes alive depending upon what happens in the Patriots game this week and what the Ravens do as well their next 2 games.

So the Saints might beat the Steelers but it will not be an easy game where the Saints just have to show up with Brees and their offense and blow the Steelers out like people are saying. I think the Steelers will have somewhat of an edge that game in certain areas potentially playing the Saints on a short week. So don’t pencil that game in just yet fellas as an automatic guaranteed loss for the Steelers.

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They would have a much better chance if they somehow beat NE. If they get embarrassed by NE again I don't see them regrouping after that. If they beat NE that might give them a unexpected boost and confidence that no one saw coming. To me Sunday is the season. If you can't rise up against a team that has beaten you like a drum it's over.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Great question . We will have our answer Sunday by 8:00.....

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not in the Big Easy, they play lights out there. Today is our chance and hope Baltimore loses to the Charger
    in the next coming weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    since our backs are against the wall did they hand out the blindfolds and one last cigarette before this Pats game?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    As of today right now they control their own destiny.Sure, their remaining schedule is tough but they got themselves in this position.If they make the playoffs every game is tough with them probably facing teams they played during the regular season that they lost to.The playoffs start today as far as I’m concerned without having to rely on other teams below us to lose.The Steelers dug themselves into this hole and now have to find away to dig themselves out.No excuses that they have to play the Pats and Saints back to back.If they truly are a playoff team they have to beat playoff teams!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Focus solely on the Patriots.

Not the Ravens, Colts, Titans, or Dolphins.

Not the Saints.

Not the seeding for the playoffs.

Not the last three weeks.

Right now, the only thing that matters is the Patriots.

Control the game. Don’t let the refs beat you. Do t let special teams beat you. Don’t let lapses in coverage beat you. Don’t let turnovers beat you. Don’t let replays beat you. Don’t let the clock beat you.

Man up and take care of business.

13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

You forgot one important point. Smash Bradys face into the ground. Take the 15 and make him scared to even be in the pocket. If they do that they can win :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The Steelers are hanging tough and delivered a much needed win for themselves, their organization and their fans.

On to New Orleans!

:herewego: